Potential new buyers - don't bother

Had my 230RS since December 2015 (i.e. 6 months).  10,000km on the clock and fault with the lambda sensor.  Took it in to dealer, all they did was a system flush (i.e. nothing).  Nonetheless went to collect it after not getting the promised phone call that its ready (had to phone myself).  Arrived at 1pm as pre-agreed, only to find out service technician was on lunch break.

The fault re-appeared in the evening.  Booked it in for repair (needs a new lambda sensor apparently) and soonest slot was Wednesday (I booked it yesterday) so just under a week.  I asked for a courtesy car.  Didn't get one. Why? Apparently courtesy cars are only offered if car is 'undriveable'.  I asked the obvious question: "can I drive it?".  Reply: "you shouldn't".  I am yet to discover what the definition of 'undriveable' is...perhaps 'totally f****d'.

Maybe its just this one car that has caused a bit of bother and soon it will be solved? if only.  Had a 2011 Skoda Superb 2.0TDI.  At 110,000km the entire gearbox and clutch system needed to be replaced under warranty.  Didn't have it for 1 whole month and...didn't get a courtesy car either!  

Maybe its just these two cars that have caused bother? Again, if only!  Had a 2008 VRS TFSI... albeit second hand this time.  Total pile of sh**e. 

I don't mean to sound bitter (though I am), but seriously, if anyone is thinking about buying a Skoda, please understand the quality has really gone down hill and the after sales customer service is incredibly poor.  The nice new gleaming showrooms are fabulous, but there is no substance beyond that.

If you are in the market for a hot-hatch (like I was), please consider alternatives....there are lots!  If you are after a reliable family car... look at the Mazda 6.  If you do buy a Skoda, ask them for a complimentary bus pass.

If you are after an overpriced hot-hatch with plenty of problems and lots of gadgets that do almost nothing...drop me a PM, might have the car just for you :)

The car is foreign, so is my dealer, but as each one comes off the same production line, yours will be much the same.

• Like 1

I don't mind the car having problems as such, it happens and I understand it.  Its the lack of decent after sales customer service that can and should in my opinion be much better.  I contacted two dealers (one of which is apparently amongst the largest in central Europe and another big but more local).  The approach was much the same so it appears Skoda policy rather than having bad luck and finding a technician that may be having a bad day.

As for the Skoda Superb gearbox...it is a known fault but has been 'hushed up' and no recalls issued.  There was a production fault with a batch of Sachs clutch pressure plates which caused damage to clutches and gearboxes.  The technician showed me photos from Skoda including a fault guide thing on screen but refused to provide any written or printed proof.

I hope my Scout DSG turns out to be a reliable purchase as so far the sales process from my local dealership has been terrible. No communication, emails not returned, deposit given over a week ago and still no official order paperwork raised or handover date agreed (it's a 'Skoda UK' used car).

Was really looking forward to taking delivery but in all honesty I am tempted to tell them to stick it, if they aren't even interested in selling me a car I want, god help me if it goes wrong afterwards.

The DSG box is very nice (though I'm unsure if yours is identical to mine) The 230RS has a 6 speed box where the oil can be changed...I think others are non-maintenance long life oil (or so I was told).  The most reliable car I have ever had funnily enough is a Peugeot 206 :)

The DSG box is very nice (though I'm unsure if yours is identical to mine) The 230RS has a 6 speed box where the oil can be changed...I think others are non-maintenance long life oil (or so I was told). The most reliable car I have ever had funnily enough is a Peugeot 206 :)

The bigger, torquier engines gets the 6speed wetbox. 2l tdi, 1.8tsi 4x4 and off course the 2l tsi. The rest has the 7speed drybox.

Had my 230RS since December 2015 (i.e. 6 months). 10,000km on the clock and fault with the lambda sensor. Took it in to dealer, all they did was a system flush (i.e. nothing). Nonetheless went to collect it after not getting the promised phone call that its ready (had to phone myself). Arrived at 1pm as pre-agreed, only to find out service technician was on lunch break.

The fault re-appeared in the evening. Booked it in for repair (needs a new lambda sensor apparently) and soonest slot was Wednesday (I booked it yesterday) so just under a week. I asked for a courtesy car. Didn't get one. Why? Apparently courtesy cars are only offered if car is 'undriveable'. I asked the obvious question: "can I drive it?". Reply: "you shouldn't". I am yet to discover what the definition of 'undriveable' is...perhaps 'totally f****d'.

Maybe its just this one car that has caused a bit of bother and soon it will be solved? if only. Had a 2011 Skoda Superb 2.0TDI. At 110,000km the entire gearbox and clutch system needed to be replaced under warranty. Didn't have it for 1 whole month and...didn't get a courtesy car either!

Maybe its just these two cars that have caused bother? Again, if only! Had a 2008 VRS TFSI... albeit second hand this time. Total pile of sh**e.

I don't mean to sound bitter (though I am), but seriously, if anyone is thinking about buying a Skoda, please understand the quality has really gone down hill and the after sales customer service is incredibly poor. The nice new gleaming showrooms are fabulous, but there is no substance beyond that.

If you are in the market for a hot-hatch (like I was), please consider alternatives....there are lots! If you are after a reliable family car... look at the Mazda 6. If you do buy a Skoda, ask them for a complimentary bus pass.

If you are after an overpriced hot-hatch with plenty of problems and lots of gadgets that do almost nothing...drop me a PM, might have the car just for you :)

The car is foreign, so is my dealer, but as each one comes off the same production line, yours will be much the same.

Lol I like the bus pass comment. Question Is though if you are receiving poor service why did you buy another, and another.

Vote with your feet mate and shop elsewhere.

Remember the adage 'you get what you pay for' in this case you get poor quality for a price which is not exactly cheap. Want cheap buy dacia. Want better, buy KIA.

On the flip side, I am happy with mine (so far!)

Yes it has had some issues from new - none of which were major, safety or drivability related - and the dealer has fixed all of them quickly and offered up the courtesy car to me every time whilst they did so. I am looking forward to them all being resolved now and enjoying my car.

Perhaps I have been lucky with the dealer here in NZ and they are not representative of the rest of the Skoda World?

Have you ever been on a Beamer or Audi or Mercedes forum? You will find an equal number of disgruntled customers complaining about failures, faults issues and the dealer. Generally people don't spend too much time out of their day to write about how "everything was fine today thanks" so you will always get a bias towards complaints and issues online.

Of course that doesn't diminish the poor experience you have had and you have my sympathies. As others have said though, if I had one awful experience with a brand and/or dealer it would be more than enough to ensure I didn't buy that brand again!

Edited by Item
  • Like 2

Generally people don't spend too much time out of their day to write about how "everything was fine today thanks" so you will always get a bias towards complaints and issues online.

Of course that doesn't diminish the poor experience you have had and you have my sympathies. As others have said though, if I had one awful experience with a brand and/or dealer it would be more than enough to ensure I didn't buy that brand again!

A bit like working in a Payroll Department.

No-one ever knocks on the door after payday and says "hey, thanks, my salary got paid right this month, much appreciated".

But when they don't get paid what they think they should have.......

• Like 1

Lol I like the bus pass comment. Question Is though if you are receiving poor service why did you buy another, and another.

Vote with your feet mate and shop elsewhere.

Remember the adage 'you get what you pay for' in this case you get poor quality for a price which is not exactly cheap. Want cheap buy dacia. Want better, buy KIA.

Thing is I have kind of grown up around Skodas (being from Slovakia - former Czechoslovakia) where they are made).  My grandad had a 100, then a 120L, dad's first car was a 125 (i think), then a favorit, then an octavia Mk1, then my brother had an octavia Mk1, sister had two Mk 1s, other brother has a Mk2 fabia, i had a Mk2 octy, then superb Mk2 and now an octavia Mk3, I also had a classic 1100mb and am currently restoring a 1200 sedan from 1955.  I'm only 28 but there have been so many cars of various brands in the family and in the company that i have always liked Skodas.  I've been 'loyal' and loved them when Skodas were the underdog and the laughing stock.  Now they've become all fancy with glam showrooms, fabulous sales figures and think they're the dog's *******s.  That's what annoys me the most...it has become one massive conglomerate where the be all and end all are the figures....sell sell sell but the customer service has gone down the pan and so has the quality. No focus on brand loyalty whatsoever, just quick sales.  They've grown too big for their boots.  When a company starts to show those signs the success can quickly turn...and it will.  KIA was a joke only 10 years ago...where are they now?  Eating at Skodas sales percentage over here in Slovakia and Czech Republic...not nibbling, munching at it!!

I don't think Skoda can have more loyal customers than those similar to me...and I've now had enough.  Skoda should focus long term, but there is nobody there to make a decision...nobody who actually 'owns' Skoda that cares or gives a s*** beyond their pay check or career or share return/dividends.  Skoda has become a commodity and not a passion like some other brands (land rover, aston martin, mini).  I also have a Land Rover Series 3 109 FFR...I tinker with it in the evening, don't care if something brakes...in fact welcome it as its part of the car's 'personality'.  Would never do that with a Skoda.

My brother has a Dacia Duster and it is not great.  Loud, uncomfortable, uneconomical (the 1.5 dci less economical than my dad's 3.0TDI Q7, not even cheap and an absolute fortune to fix when it goes wrong...which it does.

I know how a bad dealer can put you off a marque. I've been there. I'm bitter at my local seat dealer because their service and manners where undesirable. I could have tolerated faults if they were rectified but they weren't. At the same time I hated SEAT because I felt like I had bought the beta test version of a car that they wanted to improve on with me as the ginuaea pig.

All marques have their problems. How they are handled is key. Sorry that you have been let down so badly.

not getting the promised phone call that its ready (had to phone myself).

I've had this problem at most garages I've used. When I've phoned they've either said something that felt like, "Of course it's not ready yet, why are you phoning us?" or, "Of course it's ready, why are you phoning us?"

I know how a bad dealer can put you off a marque. I've been there. I'm bitter at my local seat dealer because their service and manners where undesirable. I could have tolerated faults if they were rectified but they weren't. At the same time I hated SEAT because I felt like I had bought the beta test version of a car that they wanted to improve on with me as the ginuaea pig.

All marques have their problems. How they are handled is key. Sorry that you have been let down so badly.

I was looking at getting a SEAT cupra but it made more sense getting the octavia. They seem nice cars though! I've had very good experience with local Citroen dealer where we get our vans from. They were always willing to check out any issue right away.

You're not the only one who will look elsewhere due to poor treatment by Skoda and their representatives. Faults happen and are understandable, however persistent shoddy service is unforgivable. My VRS will be my first and last Skoda, and 4th and last new VAG car.

My local dealer is part of a chain which sell cars from 20 different manufacturers. So going for a different manufacturer on the basis of the dealer service is likely pretty futile as the same people will be trying to selling you a different car.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

This seems to be getting common, lots of the small dealerships with good service Dept closed, and replaced by dealers with flashy showrooms, but unable to fix the cars.

Within last 12 months I have needed to book both our Skodas in for service, one was first available slot 2 weeks, other about 10 days. I would have been fed up if waiting that long with a broken car.

If you look at Superb forum, there is someone needing ad blue fault fix, but needs to wait as dealer hasn't yet bought the vacuum tools. It's becoming symptomatic of Skodas lack of after sales, which is turning people away.

Meanwhile those in HQ never visit a repair Dept as they are loaned new cars, that get replaced from 3 months later, so why should they care, maybe if they got 9 month old cars with faults that they had to sort in their own time, then they might realise the problem.

Edited by SurreyJohn
  • Like 2

This seems to be getting common, lots of the small dealerships with good service Dept closed, and replaced by dealers with flashy showrooms, but unable to fix the cars.

Within last 12 months I have needed to book both our Skodas in for service, one was first available slot 2 weeks, other about 10 days. I would have been fed up if waiting that long with a broken car.

If you look at Superb forum, there is someone needing ad blue fault fix, but needs to wait as dealer hasn't yet bought the vacuum tools. It's becoming symptomatic of Skodas lack of after sales, which is turning people away.

Meanwhile those in HQ never visit a repair Dept as they are loaned new cars, that get replaced from 3 months later, so why should they care, maybe if they got 9 month old cars with faults that they had to sort in their own time, then they might realise the problem.

You make a very valid point.

Sales driven, yet lacklustre Aftersales.

Judging by what others have written at least I know my experience is not an anomaly, or me being picky and unreasonable.  My car has been sat at work now since Wednesday gathering dust.  I have use of another car, but there are plenty of families with just the one.

You are entitled to your opinion. You are correct in that your case is not a one off. Although my dealer has been helpful they have also shown ineptitude and lack of knowledge at times.

I had to take my car to Preston Motors three times for various warranty work and the service was very good. They were closed down last year and I had to take my car to another (multi showroom / multi brand) Dealership where I have suffered 7 weeks of hell. Skoda are to blame because they choose which Dealers are there representatives. They close down small-volume local Dealers in favour of flashy-showroom, higher-volume franchises who just want to hit sales targets and don't really give a damn about after-sales service. It's all about getting you into the showroom, taking your money, and then getting rid of you.

Skoda Customer Services are also a waste of Call-Centre space. I have owned may cars, and the majority have required some form of warranty work. Skoda/VAG are the only brand I will never use again. They actually make good cars, but the service can be atrocious.

This is just not a Skoda/VAG thing with the mega dealerships and service.

Most brands are moving, or have already moved, to the big glass warehouse model of sales and service.

Take Mercedes. Where I am located all the local Merc dealers are part of the same group. In fact the same group covers 3 counties almost exclusively. There is little point in trying another dealer as you will get the same "standard" of sales and after sales service everywhere.

I posted this on another thread on this forum, but I purchased my C Class from Mercedes fleet sales (aka CarWow). They operate out of a totally different style of premises. The fleet salesman I dealt with provided excellent sales support and also after sales service when I had teething problems with my new car.  Fleet have real clout with the main dealers (even though they are part of the same company!) as although they are selling vehicles with really big discounts their volume of units is something the retail guys can only dream of. 

The message I got is that there are serious questions in the motor trade generally about the long term viability of the "glasshouse" approach. The Aldi/Lidel model in the supermarket trade is pertinent and has got some people in the motor trade thinking.

The moral is that what goes round comes round, and the present dealership/service model could change again in the not too distant future. With that in mind I noted that last month Merc have now dumped all the retail dealerships they directly owned, and sold them to the big dealer groups. 

Edited by Minimoke

I had to take my car to Preston Motors three times for various warranty work and the service was very good. They were closed down last year and I had to take my car to another (multi showroom / multi brand) Dealership where I have suffered 7 weeks of hell. Skoda are to blame because they choose which Dealers are there representatives.

Not just Skoda.

My wife, via CarWow, got a fully loaded Ford Fiesta at a ridiculous discount from a dealer in the Midlands.

They were very good in every respect but **very** insistent that when she received the post-sales email questionnaire from Ford that she should complete it, giving the dealership maximum praise at every opportunity.

She had no qualms about doing so because they were excellent but we got the impression that Ford came down hard on dealerships not hitting maximum feedback.