Service Action - Software Upgrade EA 189 Engines

Has anyone had their car dyno'd pre and post fix? My letter came through the other day and I just don't feel like the risk is worth it based upon the limited information being offered by VAG.

Yes, see post #95...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/412053-diesel-engines-fix-recall/

Anyone getting this recall done is mad. There are absolutely no benefits to be had by having it done, only risk.

• Like 1

Greetings

It's been over 5 months now since I had my car "done" and I can honestly say that, apart from the car seems to run smoother, I've not noticed any change in the vehicle's performance even when towing the caravan (in fact slightly better mpg towing strangely).

Now, it seems that some people have been through the process without mishap and are presumably happy while others are, shall we say, slightly disappointed.

Why mine de-fix went without a hitch I don't know. The only thing I can think of is that the engine in my car (2.0L cr140 ea189 car production date mid August 2014) is somehow different to others. I trawled many pages, posts and sites (but soon got bored) without finding an answer.

So the question I'm asking is - "Is my engine different to others"? Did they modify it because of the new engine coming out a few months later? Is it engines manufactured/used before production date Aug 2014 that are having difficulties and if so are there any engines suffering after production date Aug 2014?

Yes I know that's 3 questions - sorry - but I am curious.

AndyW

• Like 1

I asked about the update for the Superb mk2 2.0l CR 140 I'm collecting next week (registered Nov 13,) the dealer has told me "The Superb you are buying has not yet had the update for emissions as the fix has not yet been rolled out for this engine derivative." 

The effect of the "cheat fix"  will depend on EA189 engine size and code, fuel management/emissions controls system version/maker, transmission (5sp or 6sp manual, 6 or 7 speed DSG), drive wheels (2wd or 4wd)....

If we want to compare like with like, we will all need to give as much information as we can to the other members here on our cars setup. A 2WD, CR140, 6sp manual may react very differently to a 4WD, DSG CR140 to the fix. Likewise, a "fixed" Greenline CR105 5sp manual may be quite different to a "fixed" Elegance CR105 6sp manual....

.... "The Superb you are buying has not yet had the update for emissions as the fix has not yet been rolled out for this engine derivative." 

As usual for much of the info given out - this is another "lack of" info problem, They could mean for the specific engine code or they could mean for the engine, gearbox, drive train combo you have.

Edited by TheRobinK
  • Like 1

The 'Fix' has been approved on the 2.0, 1.2 & 16 TDI, 

If Dealers are not rolling out the fix for the brands of VW Product / Vehicles they deal with that is their reasons of number and other issues not that the 'Fix' has not been rolled out.

More details on Honest Press Releases from VW UK, Skoda UK, SEAT UK & Audi UK on the state of play and Websites and mailing to the Registered Keepers 

from the UK HQ's would clear up lots of doubt.

As to magazines testing vehicles, then clear tests of 'Owners Vehicles before the fix for a week and as owners use them and a week after' is the kind of testing that matters.

If you do not know how a well serviced or poorly serviced vehicle actually performs on the roads as is there is little point checking after the removal of the defeat device and new engine management.

You are as well comparing a poorly serviced car before a service and after a normal service, Oil, Filter, Air Filter, Fuel Filter etc, tyre pressures checked and set,

see what that does for a cars efficient running.

• 3 weeks later...

Surely folks getting the fix done isn't just about 'being compliant' but about making our own small contributions to reducing NOx levels and thereby global warming, to say nothing of the adverse health effects of NOx especially for people with asthma and the like. Individually it's not much but it all adds up. 

??

Where have the VW Group ever said it does that. Is it not just so that a vehicle could pass a Type Approval test again in a Temperature Controlled building 

on a Rolling Road while carrying no passengers and going no place?

Nothing to do with NoX reduction out on the road is it, or are there test showing it does that?

http://skoda.co.uk/pages/fuel-consumption-statement.aspx

• Like 1