Service Action - Software Upgrade EA 189 Engines

Greetings,

Got my (UK) letter today. Interesting reading:-

• "The software upgrades the engine management system in your affected vehicle by implementing elements such as an enhanced fuel injection pattern. The software update applies these measures without adverse effects to the service life of the engine and its components. To achieve this, we are using advances in diesel combustion technology which were not available at the time your vehicle was manufactured"

• "SKODA has worked closely with the relevant, independent authorities to test extensively the software update for your vehicle. Following the completion of this testing, l can confirm that there will be no change to your vehicle's engine performance, maximum torque or noise levels. The performance data already published for your vehicle, including fuel consumption values and CO2 emissions, will also remain unchanged"

I've not booked it yet as Holidays are imminent, but I will do in a couple of weeks or so, by which time no doubt most of you will have had "the letter" and indeed had the deed done.

AndyW

Apologies, psychic powers not what they were, however I'm still going out to spend Friday night's lottery jackpot winnings. :clap:

AndyW

Edited by Charade

I know 2 people that have had Audi A4 2.0TDi 177 done about 3 weeks ago... has not made a bit of difference to the car... exactly the same as before the fix... 

Stuart

This recall won't improve the vehicle, there are only potential unknown disadvantages, so why have it done?

Unless you are keen to reduce emissions then if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Edited by silver1011

If you do not do it in the long run, it will affect your DVLA registration - COC. They are the ones that tell VAG that they have to comply - and this will not change in the post Brexit area either.

I would be more impressed if the update took engine specs to 150 bhp from the 140 I have at the minute :sun:  This - "we are using advances in diesel combustion technology which were not available at the time your vehicle was manufactured" sounds like a load of wotsit to me. Pure techno babel to persuade people VW have pulled off an engineering miracle. They could have just said we turned off all the cheating/dodgy stuff but it does not sound as good.    

• Like 2

If you do not do it in the long run, it will affect your DVLA registration - COC. They are the ones that tell VAG that they have to comply - and this will not change in the post Brexit area either.

The recall is not enforced, it is voluntary. 

Edited by silver1011

I would be more impressed if the update took engine specs to 150 bhp from the 140 I have at the minute :sun:  This - "we are using advances in diesel combustion technology which were not available at the time your vehicle was manufactured" sounds like a load of wotsit to me. Pure techno babel to persuade people VW have pulled off an engineering miracle. They could have just said we turned off all the cheating/dodgy stuff but it does not sound as good.    

What's likely is they've done a bunch of research in the intervening years on how to control the injection hardware. The 'technology' includes the hardware and software combination so it's a perfectly legitimate use of the term.

The ECU can control fuel injection pressure via both the HPFP and the rail pressure relief valve. It also controls EGR, the fuel injectors and the turbo. So there's potentially a lot of scope to improve on things.

• Like 1

My car had its first service on Monday at 16000 miles, and had its software upgrade at the same time. It's back at the dealer tonight as since Monday it has developed a noise on acceleration not unlike diesel clatter of old. I am not a happy owner. Dealer is to contact Skoda technicians tomorrow. I can only think the software upgrade has detrimentally affected the fuelling as Skoda's letter advises changes will enhance fuel injection pattern. I will update after tomorrow but I have asked whether it can be reversed.As far as I am concerned at present the so called upgrade has ruined my lovely car!

• Like 2

Is this for the 2.0 engines? Both my cars have 1.6 engines which need some mesh fitted as well as a software upgrade. Im not sure how they can pull it off without it changing the way the car performes.

Is this for the 2.0 engines? Both my cars have 1.6 engines which need some mesh fitted as well as a software upgrade. Im not sure how they can pull it off without it changing the way the car performes.

Yes - only the EA189 2.0 engines for now.

The plan on the 1.6 is that they will use more fuel to burn off NOx in the LNT (Lean NOx Trap) - which is what would have happened without the "cheat".

To compensate for that, they say they spent money on supercomputers and air flow analysis to design the "flow rectifier" mesh. By smoothing the airflow over the mass airflow sensor (MAF) they claim the increased economy from more accurate air measurements cancels out the LNT cleaning fuel penalty.

Why a different solution to the 2.0? I'm not sure but they 1.6 has a different fuel injection system to the 2.0 - the 1.6 version is supplied by Continental rather than the Bosch on the 2.0 EA189

• Like 1

My car had its first service on Monday at 16000 miles, and had its software upgrade at the same time. It's back at the dealer tonight as since Monday it has developed a noise on acceleration not unlike diesel clatter of old. I am not a happy owner. Dealer is to contact Skoda technicians tomorrow. I can only think the software upgrade has detrimentally affected the fuelling as Skoda's letter advises changes will enhance fuel injection pattern. I will update after tomorrow but I have asked whether it can be reversed.As far as I am concerned at present the so called upgrade has ruined my lovely car!

Hmmm, I'm worried we'll see more of this.

I am no expert but it sounds to me like a change to the pilot injection settings ? this can affect engine noise/clatter. I ran a mk1.5 focus 1.8 tdci which had one of the first CR engines to use pilot injection and it was almost petrol like for smooth running. unfortunately the need to comply with Euro 5 rules meant the unit was modded for the mk2> focus ( I have one) and although the emissions were reduced the engine was not as nice in use.     

Just quick update. Got car back yesterday but no improvement. Dealer advises upgrade can't be reversed. Software definitely loaded correctly but they will submit a technical report to Skoda HQ. Dealer's VW branch advised my skoda mechanic that several golf 2.0 cr TDI owners are reporting similar noise issues. It seems that vw and Skoda will need to take this seriously as upgrade has made engines noisier. The 'robust' nature of the common rail engine has been compromised by diesel rattle! Likely that another update will be needed once they have worked out what that needs to be. In hindsight I really wish I hadn't it done.......but my letter from Skoda assured me that I would notice no difference in noise levels.....but I have. I do really think that they will need to pay owners compensation if their cars are to be compromised in this way.

Do you have VCDS scans before and after the 'fix'?

I have a few older engine software's that might help. Otherwise a local tuner should be able to put older software on...

I'm assuning It doesn't reduce emissions it just deletes their cheat software

Your assumption is incorrect. Without the cheat mode, the emissions are not compliant - they're obliged to bring the emissions into line with regulations as part of the fix. If it was as simple as removing the cheat mode we'd have had the fix within a few weeks of the issue being discovered and with no loss of performance.

Your assumption is incorrect. Without the cheat mode, the emissions are not compliant - they're obliged to bring the emissions into line with regulations as part of the fix. If it was as simple as removing the cheat mode we'd have had the fix within a few weeks of the issue being discovered and with no loss of performance.

Chimaera is right - if it was just removing the cheat then there would be no hardware changes to the 1.6 and there would be no adjustments to the Bosh injector spray pattern on the 2.0.

In somewhat over simplified terms - our cars don't have the AD-blue system, so if they are going to burn more fuel cleaning the lean NOx trap then they have to recover that fuel through better efficiency somewhere else. 

Just recently had my 15 plate 2.0 140 Bus. edition estate recalled and updated.

For the record there's a louder exhaust note (in cabin) and a slight dip in performance and economy...this is extremely marginal but after 67K in one year from new I feel I know the girl.

• Like 1