Best tyres for grip for the 162TSI?

Last weekend I got my brand new 162TSI specced out completely.  Absolutely love it!  Superb is superb.  Mine came with the 19 inch tyres too.

Only thing i read of issue is that the front wheels are not very grippy esp in the wet and they slip.

So this week my wife was driving with our two under 3 year olds in the back and sure enough in the wet three times she said it slipped whilst taking off.  One on a big hill and she said she felt a little worried!

Am thinking of replacing the standard tyres at the front with something a bit grippier - thoughts on best ones?

Had been thinking either the Pirelli P-Zeros or the Michelin Primacy 3s??  Any others i should consider?  

What are the current tyres? Tread depth? Use less throttle when moving off.

If I read the OP correctly, he got the car brand-new last weekend, so they should be the full 8mm (ish). The factory tyres aren't brilliant, certainly the Pirelli Centurato P7s. OP I swapped for Michelin Primacy 3 and haven't lost traction since. No more wheel spin! At least, so far... Either way the Michelins are much better than the P7s, and quieter too. You shouldn't go far wrong with Primacy 3, Pilot Sport or similar. 

As philbes says, though, you shouldn't really get wheel spin if moving off 'normally'. For example even in my 2.0 220ps DSG I have to plant the throttle a LOT to get wheelspin moving off from a stand still even on the P7s. If you just get the car moving a little before planting the throttle, your wife should find the car behaves much better. 

• Like 1

Yes current tyre specs are 235/40/19 and yep tyres are one week old.

I think it is more for peace of mind for wife due to the fact that the road was very wet and she was on a steep hill yesterday with our 2 boys in the back.

Yes current tyre specs are 235/40/19 and yep tyres are one week old.

I think it is more for peace of mind for wife due to the fact that the road was very wet and she was on a steep hill yesterday with our 2 boys in the back.

Can you confirm whether your car has the P7s fitted? Don't forget that week-old tyres will still likely be wearing in, and as such will not be gaining maximum traction/grip yet. That said, the P7s really aren't very good on this car imho and the Primacy 3s are much better. At the risk of repeating myself, though, your wife will find much more benefit in being more delicate with the throttle until the car is moving than simply switching tyres. 

• Like 1

Can you confirm whether your car has the P7s fitted? Don't forget that week-old tyres will still likely be wearing in, and as such will not be gaining maximum traction/grip yet. That said, the P7s really aren't very good on this car imho and the Primacy 3s are much better. At the risk of repeating myself, though, your wife will find much more benefit in being more delicate with the throttle until the car is moving than simply switching tyres. 

Yes i have the P7s.  

I agree with comments re wife and throttle - issue now is how exactly to tell her that ...

Edited by poczynek
  • Like 2

Well, that's going to be fun then. I am getting a 162TSI Sedan myself.

And my wife is a lead foot.

We have never ever run into the danger of our car engines glazing up...... LOL

• Like 1

so the new goodyear eagle f1 asymmetric version 3 (the version is v. important) are A rated in the wet, and an excellent tyre all round. 

I'm a huge fan of Bridgestone Potenzas, they aren't cheap and they are very soft but grip is excellent. I've just never managed to get more than 10,000 miles out of a set though.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

so the new goodyear eagle f1 asymmetric version 3 (the version is v. important) are A rated in the wet, and an excellent tyre all round.

This would be my choice too. Got Bridgestone S001 on the Superb Estate. They are awful compared to the F1A2s I used on the twindoor. Noise, less confidence in the wet and more expensive. Will be going back to the Goodyear's when they run out.

Michelin Pilot Sport 3 was very impressive for the first 2 or 3mm and then they transition to a harder compound. The difference was very clear in wet weather at this point. I found they had gone from confidence inspiring to a little bit scary....