Opinions on if car is lowered please

Matt2190

SKODA

Hi I'm new here. Bought the car pictured last week and loving it so far. However i can't shake of the thought that its been lowered and I don't want to be screwed by my insurance. Anyone able to tell by looking at the photo? Or better yet  how would you check for sure?

Edited by Matt2190

Looks lowered to me. Jack it up at the front, take a picture of the shock/spring (above the wheel) and post it.

The wheels are non-standard too and should be declared to your insurance company if you haven't already.

Looks like a tidy example, never used to be a fan of yellow but like the look of yours.

Cheers guys. (think I put this is wrong section.Sorry!)

I have declared the wheels which they are fine with as they are 18's which as far as i can tell is what the car would have come with. Going off the tyre size on this link http://www.tyre-pressure.co.uk/skoda/octavia-ii

Just phoned Direct Line. They want £8 quid if the car is lowered so thats OK. Just need to actually check it is. Hopefully manage this weekend.

Just phoned Direct Line. They want £8 quid if the car is lowered so thats OK. Just need to actually check it is. Hopefully manage this weekend.

Are you sure? £8? Do they know what lowering is? That seems pretty cheap for quite a major modification.

Lovely car BTW :thumbup:

Sorry I was away all weekend so not managed to reply.

Direct line said it was modified suspension. I await the new certificate to make sure its all above board. The car is on red springs and I'm now 100% its lowered. 

I have another question while I'm here though. Tonight was the first time I have driven it remotely hard. Its finally been dry on a twisty road I know well thats full of sharp corners with hard braking before them. At the end I felt like the brakes were not as good and at the T junction at the end when I stopped there was a strong smell of brakes. So my question is how good are the standard brakes supposed to be? To add some perspective my old car was a Renault Megane 225 with the standard Brembos. I drove that harder and never had any hint of fade. What I'm hoping is maybe cheap and nasty pads as the dealer changed them before I bought the car? Quite happy to spend some money on pads if the stock brakes are up to it.

Did the pedal go soft/spongy or did the brakes just lose bite? If the pedal went soft - change the brake fluid, if the brakes lost bite then it might be worth looking at changing the pads or not driving it so hard on the road.

How long was the road that you was nailing it down?? if your brakes cant hack it then id suggest getting some grooved and drilled pads, thats what i did on mine and i noticted a huge diffrence, and they wasnt that expensive to replace.... plus they look better

How long was the road that you was nailing it down?? if your brakes cant hack it then id suggest getting some grooved and drilled pads, thats what i did on mine and i noticted a huge diffrence, and they wasnt that expensive to replace.... plus they look better

Grooved and drilled pads?! I think you mean discs.

I generally don't think grooved/drilled discs are a great idea on most road cars - they are generally more expensive and don't offer any better performance than a plain disc.

There are plenty of people on the Clio forums (and others I'm sure) running race/track cars with plain discs (myself included).

No pedal stayed firm just lost some bite and stank when I stopped at the end. According to google the road is 8 miles but to be honest the middle bit is a straight cruise and would cool brakes off. I was driving casually quick, other people in the car etc so I wasn't pushing it. Pads seems the obvious answer so will do that but seeing as I proposed to the misses I think money is going on a ring just now haha.