Crazy coolant loss on 1.6 tdi (15)

The only reason i did it was so skoda themselves could try a fix as i know the dealer called skoda for advice when he wasnt sure what else it can be.

so i figured they had much more experience than a dealer tech(not all but in this case) or does it not work that way?

Do you think they could have just fobbed me off james? Is that often the case

i do have a direct number to the person so i'm expecting further contact/action they did mention going back to the same dealer after there own tech team looks at it all. Maybe thats all the dealers doing on the phone anyhow?

The dealer, customer services and Skoda uk/technical are three separate entities in completely different locations.

Technical will ask if the dealer has carried out the correct procedure, if not - why? Then they'll tell them to carry out the test process correctly (which they should have done already if they're stuck for ideas).

Customer services will have little if any actual experience of said fault, even their "in house" technical team and are generally there to appease customers.

You might be best finding a more competent dealer and taking the car to them.

I want skoda to try a fix themselves

I was hoping customer services would see to that rather than just send me back to the dealer(which i dont know there plan yet),

Do you think a different dealer would want to get involved on a tricky problem a different dealer is trying to fix ?

Edited by cozza

I put this in a pm to someone (its slightly edited) but ill pop it here as its more info

I tried something yesterday it came up coolant low it was my last job so i left it as it was going in the garage at home at 3pm (i only do half a day on sat) so i came to it this morning at 11am i didnt start the car as i wanted to see if the steam would cool back to water and be at some sort of a level i checked and the coolant tank was empty i released the cap to a hiss and it barly came back up 1cm in the tank i put my full medium sized buxton bottle in it which is 750ml again no water marks anywhere as far as i can see.

Im beginging to think a gas/air is entering the tank when the engine starts to use coolant when hot and water is exiting , as the water is going somewhere i would say its had approx 10L of coolant/ water since ive had it for 4 months 7500 miles 4-5 full bottles and a few 200-500ml top ups, i believe the system is around 8L but i may be wrong. Also it was just below max at the start of the day

Edited by cozza

• 2 weeks later...

In May I bought an Octavia estate, 2 litre automatic with 33,000 miles. In the 12 weeks since then and just over 3,000 miles of driving I have filled up the coolant three times and it now needs a forth top up. So roughly a top up every 3 weeks. Is this normal?

PS not much town driving - country and motorway.

Edited by Muirgarth

Yep i would go back mate you might be in the same boat as me tbh.

I'm almost done with my festival now I booked the occy back in on tues next week for a few days atleast i'm off work this time.

Aparently skodas tech has held a video semina with the master tech on other possibilities fingers crossed.. i deciced to not add k-seal as it would just paper over a crack, it would possibly bite me on the ass in a few years.

More to follow next week i guess

Edited by cozza

• 3 weeks later...

So shes been in last week they have had it two days and stil can't find a fault

I told the master tech it must be gas or air getting into my system as when its hot the water was also disapearing from the tank then a unscrew of the tap it was refilling( but not always) it was stil leaking water at the time and did those symptoms just a few miles from the dealer.

He told me he's done a sniffer test and a pressurised full engine load sniffer test.

He then went on to fully blead my system under skodas instruction. There are two pumps a water pump and a back up pump i think he said theres another auxilery system too but he was getting a bit too technical, what i could gather he managed to get all the pumps on at once ato fully blead it.

Skoda instructed me to do a 150 mile road test the tech said it would loose a bit of water at first so to top it up as needed, it all settles after 300 miles it dropped so the alarm came on.

500 miles after the work was done the system hasn't once fully emptied the tank then returned to full once it's unscrewed or looked to have a air lick of any kind it's sitting in the middle of the lines pressurised which is spot on, so i'm confident that parts sorted.

I'm yet to see if now that it's been topped up after it's started to settle if it stil looses water or not. I'll give it a week of checking the levels or so or maybe another top up (if needed) then a weeks run before i will know it maybe 1k miles which evers first, As it's only git to 500 miles max previously

So from what i can gather air lock wise or air in the system the tech who put the new water pump on failed to correctly blead the system either way which could be a issue for mechanics on alot of water pump replacement jobs.

Hello guys,

So what happened with my car....

We removed the cylinder head  :x

Sent it to special service, where they checked everything on her.

- Scanned the head - No damages, no cracks.

- They replaced all valve seals (erasers), sorry for my English, but its hard to say: remove a layer of the head with sander (it a normal procedure when you are removing the head) .

- Returned back the head.

My service said that maybe the problem is from the garnish head, since there is nothing damaged with the head. Also they saw some spots from antifreeze, when they removed the Head.

So they fit all the parts back and replaced:

- 3 garnish (garnish head, garnish of the valve cover, one more which I forgot where its stays),

- new head bolts

- new engine OIL with filter (Castrol 5w30).

- new Coolant liquid was replaced.

After one month waiting for all these repair procedures, I finally took my car, with hope all the problems were solved.

I passed 400 km and again the coolant was under the min line. I called back to my service and went to them, they said it could be some air in the system and topped up to max.

Now I will drive again and will see if problem occurs again.

But this is a big nightmare... :sweat: 

Br,

Vlad

I was told off the master tech if it was a head gasket jobbo the compression would blow a pipe off or the pressurised cap off

Im noticing the level stil is dropping but i'm hoping that its just a hot system.. i'm painfully keeping a check on it

They really need to up there game on cooling systems it's a total joke

Edited by cozza

So it's been tested for 1k miles it's had 3 more lots of water the tech said it would use some at first so i expected atleast one lot..

I'm basically now back to square one after months if messing around, the 3 fixs are nothing to do with the problem. I'm back to loosing water around every 300 miles.

On top of this the skoda rep decided to close my case even though i told her they've only fixed the air lock they put in it when doing the pump but it's stil loosing coolant as before the three fixs.

She said it can be reopened though. I feel like i'm banging my head on a wall here.

So it's now either more messing around or accept that it will drink water forever?

Hi Cooza,

I really know what you feeling...this is a big nightmare!

I will put one update on which state I am now:

As I told you in my last updates, we also changed a lot of parts, and didn't solve the problem.

My service told me that the problem part of my problem was in the head garnish of the cylinders head, so we changed it, but the car still loosing coolant.

Now we put a color reactor in the liquid and made again a pressure tests.

And we saw that there are spots occurred from the coolant liquid on the 1st and 2nd cylinder from the inter cooler(Intake man: 04l129766n).

When we remove the inter cooler we saw a lot of spots from color reactor, so this part is broken and it full with holes, from where the liquid is loosing.

Therefore now we will replace this part for sure: 04l129766n.

And will let you know if this fixed the problem :)

Br,

Vlad

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

Yeah gasket is the right word :), sorry for my English.

I am glad to say that my problem was resolved.

The problem was from this part: 04l129766n.

I passed 1000km and there is no lost of my coolant.

@Cooza, if you can check this part with your dealer, it could be the same issue with your car.

Also now if I take off my cap from the coolant tank, when the car is cold, there is no Hiss.

Here is on link from my service with little explanation and pictures:

https://www.facebook.com/airshox/posts/656622761164009

regards,

Vlad

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Yeah gasket is the right word :), sorry for my English.

I am glad to say that my problem was resolved.

The problem was from this part: 04l129766n.

I passed 1000km and there is no lost of my coolant.

@Cooza, if you can check this part with your dealer, it could be the same issue with your car.

Also now if I take off my cap from the coolant tank, when the car is cold, there is no Hiss.

Here is on link from my service with little explanation and pictures:

https://www.facebook.com/airshox/posts/656622761164009

regards,

Vlad

Thanks for posting Vlad. Useful information for sure!

• 4 weeks later...

The previous job removed the air lock (which happened on replacing the pump)

Since then they checked my boost cooler and Egr cooler and resealed both of them the next step they said is to check the head it's stil loosing coolant since the last two attempted fix's

If theres no sign in all of thoose things then it has to be internal it's shocking really for a almost brand new engine.

Gladnika is that link the boost cooler? If so skoda say they checked that, the boost cooler is in the inlet manifold.

They left the skoda repair notes/ steps in my car and the picture was the same as the bottom right picture you put on facebook

Edited by cozza