New tyres

Just had to order 4 new tyres for our Superb.  We had it serviced yesterday and the report came back that the tyre depth was between 4 and 6mm.

My wife said that as we would be towing our caravan this weekend we should probably get them changed.

Kwik Fit are coming tomorrow to fit 4x Michelin Primacy 3 tyres for 351.

I didn't think it was too bad.

Hmm, I'd have left them on for now.

New tyres only come with 7-8mm tread depth when new from the factory.

Bearing in mind the legal limit in the UK is 1.6mm, and that most tyres start to loose performance only really below 3mm , I'd say you could have left them on for a while longer.

• Like 1

Safe is always good and I try to do mine before they hit 3mm (lots of water on the roads here).  I'd have kept the 6mm tyres if I could though

You'd have still got a good few months of use out of those!!!! Even if you replace them at 3mm..... :o

Anyway I got a pair of Uniroyal RS3s (225/40 R18) for mine for £160 fitted at my local tyre place the other week so would possibly have been cheaper still for three or four tyres.

Between 25 and 50% worn!

What size are they? Didn't think Michelin had the primacy in our sizes? Pilot Sport 3 they certainly do

225 45 17 94w Michelin Primacy 3

Between 25 and 50% worn!

What size are they? Didn't think Michelin had the primacy in our sizes? Pilot Sport 3 they certainly do

If i remember right the tyre depth was about 4 mm on the outside edges of most, though I cannot confirm that as I don't have the paperwork.  

Might a bit overkill changing so soon but Rather be safe than sorry especially towing our caravan.

When it comes to things like this my wife is always belt and braces on safety.  

I will ask the fitter to leave the tyres in the car at the end.

If the rears are 6 mil, you have only used 2 mil, 6 mil on the backs  is definitely ok for towing

They put three measurements across the tyre.  I will post these later today to confirm.

When it comes to things like this my wife is always belt and braces on safety.  

I will ask the fitter to leave the tyres in the car at the end.

Your wife is sensible in that it is always best to err on the side of caution - that rubber is all that keeps our big cars in contact with the road. 

I don't think anyone intends to make you feel silly over changing some of your tyres - in my case i would just be saying changing a 6mm tyre, if it was across the treads, is over cautious.

As you say though - the three measurements across the span of the treads is important. If I was hitting, or close to, a 3mm  reading anywhere on any tyre then I would change it (especially if i was towing loads or carrying weight in a wet weather area).

And anyways, I'd prefer to buy new tyres and have my wife happy rather than ****ed off and worried. The latter situation is far worse for my personal safety... !!   :no:

• Like 2

I seem to recall an Auto Express test many years ago where they tested tire performance with tread depth and it dropped off something shocking below 4mm IIRC. I'd never wait for my tyres to get anywhere near the legal limit before changing them.

You'll also save a few quid on (not paying) tyre disposal charges if you take away the old tyres and re-home them. Check the bill to make sure they don't charge this fee, as it will be their default setting.

You'll also save a few quid on (not paying) tyre disposal charges if you take away the old tyres and re-home them. Check the bill to make sure they don't charge this fee, as it will be their default setting.

I don't think we can avoid it in Ireland - the disposal charge is built into the price of the new tyre as a "recycling levy"....

Okay so i have 2 tyres 4mm across the face and 2x 6mm.

the 4mm ones were on the front 6 on the back.

Makes sense with a front wheel drive car - they will wear more quickly on the drive wheels. 

The rears are worth keeping or letting someone else have (provided they are completely sound of course!)

Edited by TheRobinK