Roof Bars - How & Where?

Hi all, 

After a fairly straightforward few months with the Fabia (now at 146k miles) it's had oil, filters and plugs, and the recent replacement of a chain-side gasket by a local outfit (after it decided to become a fountain as opposed to an engine!). 

I'm just coming to the slow realisation that I'm going to need to use the 420l roof box that's sat dormant in our garage for years if I'm ever to move all of my stuff to Uni this year (my mum is moving to Ireland the week before and the Fabia is all I can use) so I'm wondering which roof bars are best, and where's cheapest? 

Thanks, 

Jordan

ebay is cheapest, I got a set for £15, they're all much of a muchness just get a cheap second hand pair like I did, you won't use them often anyway.

Thanks buddy. I've seen some OEM ones, but most mention that they fit the Octavia I as well as the Fabia - is this correct?

Cheers

Thanks for the info. As an aside, would the cruise control kit - BEA400002 - from Rainworth be compatible with my car? It is literally the most basic spec, although it does have remote central locking and electric front windows.

Thanks

Just an FYI - I have some roof bars that my dad passed me off his MK1 Occy - it is a different width but the feet are the same fixings. The bars I got off him were adjustable.

A little bit off-topic but are you sure you need the roof box for Uni?

I moved to and from Uni in a little Hyundai Amica, admittedly, packed to the roof and I was wedged to the steering wheel but it is doable.

Normally I'd be the same - however, my mum is emigrating and I have literally zero storage space outside of uni so I'm somewhat dependent on moving as much as is humanly possible.

On a further note, after £160 of remedial work to the timing chain cover gasket, my oil pressure sensor has decided to become yet another outlet for oil -_- I'm sure it's just the switch, as the garage I sent it to dropped the sump and did an oil & filter change at the same time, so I'm sure it's this - it only comes on when above 2k rpm and then is cleared when the car is turned off, and happy idling. 

I've ordered a part off Amazon (the only one they had in) so hopefully I'll see the back of the leakage problems I've been having!

...my mum is emigrating and I have literally zero storage space outside of uni so I'm somewhat dependent on moving as much as is humanly possible.

I know right, I had to tell my son I was dead to get him to move out, and I still have to hide whenever my eldest daughter comes to the house from time to time or she'll try and move back in... :D

I know right, I had to tell my son I was dead to get him to move out, and I still have to hide whenever my eldest daughter comes to the house from time to time or she'll try and move back in... :D

Raw deal... I actually can't wait to move back out again, I'm not a fan of living with my family as I have no space to myself (I got the box room, which literally has space for a bed and some clothes) so I prioritise leaving!