1.2 tsi tuning

Hi all, I have a new monte carlo 110ps estate, ill be getting it mapped around christmas when I've put some decent running in mileage on it.

I was tempted to get the Forge induction kit and dump valve (pretty much the only tuning parts I've found for the engine), however after speaking to Awesomegti I've been put off as they recon they'll add no noticeable performance advantage (I'm used to the world of the 2.0 tfsi engines where an induction kit, stronger diverter valve and a better flowing down pipe can reap good rewards when mapping).

Very least I wanted the dump valve to try and reduce the turbo lag and potentially increase the life of the turbo by reducing the boost pressure putting extra strain on the turbo when the throttle is closed but Awesomegti recon I might loose a bit of power, in my naive view I can't understand why.

I would be interested to hear views from the few people that have tinkered with the engine.

One modification that would certainly help would be a sports cat down pipe but I can't find any off the self parts yet, only for the older 105ps engine. 

I don't want to go crazy but if I can get a little extra then it would be nice, I almost feel like my testicles have been cut off coming from a Golf R32 and a 245bhp Gti before that, I suppose that's what happens when you grow older and have responsibilities on a budget! 

I've also been looking in to bigger brake kits, and from what I can make out the brakes should be the same fitting as the A1 set up so it would be interesting to know if the S1 brakes fit, or what other OEM brakes would be a simple bolt on upgrade 

You'd lose power because you already have a dump valve, but it recirculates back into the intake, helping keep the system pressurised. If you vent that pressure to atmosphere, you then need to build it back up again the next time you mash the throttle. You'd probably find the engine gets even more laggy. For extremely high boost applications, they make sense, as shutting the throttle can send shock waves back down the intake and stall the compressor, we don't run the sort of boost that would cause that.

You'd lose power because you already have a dump valve, but it recirculates back into the intake, helping keep the system pressurised. If you vent that pressure to atmosphere, you then need to build it back up again the next time you mash the throttle. You'd probably find the engine gets even more laggy. For extremely high boost applications, they make sense, as shutting the throttle can send shock waves back down the intake and stall the compressor, we don't run the sort of boost that would cause that.

The forge website sates that these engines do not use any type of dump valve, which makes sense as when you fit the Forge item you do not remove an existing part and you have to use a boost tap as there isn't on there already.

On my golf gti you had to remove the diverter valve to fit an atmospheric dump valve, unless the 1.2 uses a set up where you run both..

I understand what you're saying, but I would've thought any amount of boost would create turbulence when the throttle is closed in the intake slowing the turbo down, and the dump valve should only vent the excess pressure but keep enough in the system

Edited by Jeffchiz

Fitting a dump valve will reduce the money in your pocket and have little if any positive effects on your engine.

If they were of that much of a benefit and yielded a longer turbo life with increased, safe power levels then they'd be fitted from the factory.

• Like 3

I know nothing on the 1.2 TSI in your car, but i know that even remapped a Forge Blow off valve might sound cool to some and do nothing for your performance or protecting your Turbo.

Off Topic, 

With the 1.4TSI Twinchargers the Forge BOV was and is just rubbish and causes issues,

where as a GFB DV+ is well worth the expense.

Fitting a dump valve will reduce the money in your pocket and have little if any positive effects on your engine.

If they were of that much of a benefit and yielded a longer turbo life with increased, safe power levels then they'd be fitted from the factory.

There is a lot of reasons why manufactures wouldn't increase power levels even if its safe to do so, most engines aren't just in safe, but usually purposely engineered to be less powerful. Whether this is to create an engine for a certain market, produce certain emissions, be within a tax band etc

Edited by Jeffchiz

I know nothing on the 1.2 TSI in your car, but i know that even remapped a Forge Blow off valve might sound cool to some and do nothing for your performance or protecting your Turbo.

Off Topic, 

With the 1.4TSI Twinchargers the Forge BOV was and is just rubbish and causes issues,

where as a GFB DV+ is well worth the expense.

I do realise some engines aren't designed to be used with an atmospheric dump valves, hence why i fitted the GFB DV+ to my gti and not a dump valve (I understand it sounds like a fitted a dump valve in one of my previous responses, I was just explaining what to do to fit one)

I'm not a kid looking for a cool sound hence why I said in my first post, I only want to fit them if they are actually going to give me a power increase 

And terms of reducing the money in my pocket, i used to commute 50+ miles a day in my R32, believe me you couldn't do anything to this engine that would yield the sort of economy I had in that ha 

Edited by Jeffchiz

?

Have you tried one of Awesome GTI's Seat Ibiza 1.2TSI with the APR Remap yet?

I haven't no but I'm sure I would love it, I'm fairly happy with the 1.2 engine but i would like a little more go, you get a nice kick when the turbo kicks in but then seems to go really flat and the lag can be terrible trying to move away in 2nd bfrom a slow speed, I've noticed I've used first gear so many times compared to other more powerful cars, which is fine just takes a little getting used to

At least the Remap is giving improvements on power and helps economy, 

and while not a R32 drinking fuel for fun, the NSL is still 60 mph / 70 mph, so 40+MPG is nice and you are keeping your driving licence 

driving with the cloak of invisibility.

At least the Remap is giving improvements on power and helps economy, 

and while not a R32 drinking fuel for fun, the NSL is still 60 mph / 70 mph, so 40+MPG is nice and you are keeping your driving licence 

driving with the cloak of invisibility.

Indeed nearly 50mpg is a lovely feeling, but I'm a car fanatic so I'm always going to want a bit more power, thankfully I have a project car to tinker about with, this car is purely a car to get to work and back and lug the kids around, but its a nice feeling knowing you can overtake someone or come off a roundabout faster if you wish to get the sensation of a nice bit of acceleration, you'll usually find me with the cruise control on at about 55mph behind a lorry nowadays trying to get a high drivegreen score ha

Bang for bucks has to be a remap. Revo are doing a map for the 1.2TSI 110 I believe. I've had several stage 1 VAG 1.8T's, & Revo was definitely my favourite of all.

Bang for bucks has to be a remap. Revo are doing a map for the 1.2TSI 110 I believe. I've had several stage 1 VAG 1.8T's, & Revo was definitely my favourite of all.

Yes they do I have it on mine and its great, it really does give that little car a bit more power where it needs it :) 

I haven't no but I'm sure I would love it, I'm fairly happy with the 1.2 engine but i would like a little more go, you get a nice kick when the turbo kicks in but then seems to go really flat and the lag can be terrible trying to move away in 2nd bfrom a slow speed, I've noticed I've used first gear so many times compared to other more powerful cars, which is fine just takes a little getting used to

Oh yes, forgetting that it will not snap into action in second gear at low revs can focus the mind - until the next time!

Edit:- streamlining behind trucks, yes it works for me though I've not tried the CC on wife's Polo yet, should do soon and the CD player!  I had an average MPG of 64 yesterday on a 70 mile trip, at 60MPH where the limits allowed. Only got 53MPG on the return trip though, maybe more uphill than down hill on that one!

Edited by rum4mo