MTB beginner

maccap

Mate has offered me his Kona stinky full suspender for 450 quid. It's in nice condition with a few choice upgrades but I'm told it's built for going downhill fast and not so good for going back uphill. I'm thinking now to spend this money on a good used hard tail instead ?

£450 will get you a decent mountain bike st this time year as its season end and there's lots in the sales. Don't buy someone else's worn out bag of spanners.

• Like 2

Nothing wrong with buying a used bike, but unless you know what to look out for, i'd buy a new one.

Like previously said, plenty of sales one, i'd head down to Halfords, their Boardman and Carrera bikes are great for beginners.

• Like 1

• Administrators

I've thought about similar. No idea what to look for. I have an old bike that's hardly got any miles on it. Hard-tail and the heaviest cheapest components all around. It's an early suspension generic thing, must be pre 2005, fuji is the brand, no relation to the camera. Technically it's SWMBO but it's too big, hence no use. I do think about a new cheapo, but then, the guys in the 70's managed just fine on road bikes :) So the inner Scott is saying keep using it, the knackered middle-aged bloke is saying, get a lighter better braking one :D

The type of cycling you intend to-do should influence your buying decision.  

What kind of cycling are you looking to-do?

Was just about to ask the same. 

Find out what you want to ride, set your budget and have a look and see what you can afford, dont be afraid to look at older stock as you can get more for your money. 

I'd reccommend a GT hard tail. Great entry-level stuff. Halfords Carrera stuff is ok too. 

Dont buy a bike frame thats too big either, i'm 5'7" and ride a 16" frame as I find it more chuckable. 

As said what and where you intend to ride is what it's all about. Also think how you may want to progress because as your abilities increase you may want a suitable platform to upgrade. You don't want to find you're loving it so much that in 6 months time you're finding the limits of your kit.

As a general rule though good hardtails start at 500 with raceable bikes from 900. Good full suss from 1200 and up, with obviously all mountain, enduro and downhill bikes starting above that.

A good hardtail will teach you all the skills you need, picking lines and such so are a great place to start. But again think about where you'll be riding as that my rule out this option.

This year I bought my first ever new range, current year bike. I've previously always bought previous season models at discounted prices which is a great move for starters. You'll likely get a 700 hardtail for 500.

Shop around, do some research, get some magazines and think about what you want. Looks like there's a few here who are willing to give you advice.

It is a sport you will not regret getting involved in, mtb is quite simply some of the best fun you can have with a shiny helmet.

Edited by YellowCar
  • Like 1

Was just about to ask the same. 

Find out what you want to ride, set your budget and have a look and see what you can afford, dont be afraid to look at older stock as you can get more for your money. 

I'd reccommend a GT hard tail. Great entry-level stuff. Halfords Carrera stuff is ok too. 

Dont buy a bike frame thats too big either, i'm 5'7" and ride a 16" frame as I find it more chuckable.

I can vouch for GT hardtails, had a few, most recently a Zaskar Expert, pretty fast bike. Cube are great value too, I'm enjoying my new one, great specs for the money on Cube, slightly firm ride but it can be an advantage at times as it climbs very well.

Thanks all I made the decision today to completely move over to MTB. This is my own personal opinion but Ive had enough of the complete lack of camaraderie from other road riders. Whenever you encounter another rider its automatically a race and they must stay ahead whatever the cost and more often than not a rider going in the opposite direction will completely ignore you. And everybody has to look as if they are riding for Sky on the latest machine. Rant over just my opinion. I have decided im going Specialized either hardtail or full sus whatever I can afford factoring in whatever I can get for my road bike. I am completely in love with the Specialized FSR Stumpjumper or Camber though ..... drool !! 

Thanks all I made the decision today to completely move over to MTB. This is my own personal opinion but Ive had enough of the complete lack of camaraderie from other road riders. Whenever you encounter another rider its automatically a race and they must stay ahead whatever the cost and more often than not a rider going in the opposite direction will completely ignore you. And everybody has to look as if they are riding for Sky on the latest machine. Rant over just my opinion. I have decided im going Specialized either hardtail or full sus whatever I can afford factoring in whatever I can get for my road bike. I am completely in love with the Specialized FSR Stumpjumper or Camber though ..... drool !!

They're great bikes. Hardrock would be a good spesh beginners hardtail (get the top one) but you should get a good deal on a previous seasons full sus if you wish. I do recommend starting with a hardtail though they climb miles better and will dial in your trail skills. Go down to your local bike shop or specialized dealer (stuff Halfords, they're just as bad with bikes as they are with cars in my experience) and have a chat and get sized up. Manufactures do vary a little in sizing so if you want a specialized then that's what you really need to sit on. I'm 5'7.5 and found a 16" cube with 27.5" wheels to be absolutely bang on. I can definitely recommend that wheel size whichever bike you get.

What is your budget and where/what do you intend to ride most?

By the way, don't expect mtb camaraderie to be all secret handshakes and smiles, there has always been an element of elitism where people look at your bike before you to see if you're worth talking to. Funnily they're usually the ones on 3 grand bikes that they can't descend on. That's my rant over. It is better than roadies though I dare say, watch out for ramblers though, they will gladly stick a walking stick in your spokes for daring to share a bridleway.

Edited by YellowCar

Thanks for the reply YC I have seen a hardrock disc and a rockhopper hardtail which I like and have sat on an L frame which seemed to suit my 6' body. Hard to say what sort of riding I will do though until I get out and tackle some terrain. My budget is around  £600 - 700   

Edited by maccap

Definitely a hardtail for that budget, and if you're unsure where you'll ride. Even a years previous full sus will let you down on fork, shock, groupset quality and weight at that price because it would have only been around a grand last season which is the very bottom end of anything decent in that market.

For that money the GT avalanche or Zaskar (probably last season zaskar, fast and light) is also worth a look. You may find the ride of a Cube a bit stiff even though it will have the best spec. Marin are nice hardtails too. If you fancy a steel frame (strong but supple) you should get a nice Charge for that money. But you won't go wrong with a specialized, just get the best spec one you can for the money don't worry if it's last year's model, in that price range things didn't change too much from last year.

Large should be fine, short stem would make it even better.

• Like 1

Thanks to one and all for your input. Just got home with this a Rockhopper just the colours I wanted and in nice original condition. A few jobs to do but nothing much and cant wait to get stuck in. The best bit is it was well under my original budget.

8ff79d1c8d.jpg

• Like 1

Nice mate. First things first get a short stem to sharpen up the handling be well worth it! Enjoy let us know how you get on!

Will have a look at that just figuring out what I need clothing wise. I guess I can use my Kask road helmet but obviously not my lycra gear  :) . Joking aside what do you wear maybe start with some baggy shorts but what about upper body and footwear ?

• Like 1

Will have a look at that just figuring out what I need clothing wise. I guess I can use my Kask road helmet but obviously not my lycra gear  :) . Joking aside what do you wear maybe start with some baggy shorts but what about upper body and footwear ?

One thing you can do is wear your cycling shorts as a liner under some baggies. I wear the endurance humvee shorts which are excellent. A breathable padded inner short clips onto the outers. Basically you want breathable stuff. Go on some online stores and check out brands like pearl izumi, endura, Fox and dakine. Cycling socks are a must and some lizard skins waterproof ones are well worth having. You definitely need shorts with some kind of padding. You'll spend less time in the saddle than on a road bike but your bum takes a beating.

As far as footwear goes if you ride flat pedals get some skate type shoes like vans or duffs, five tens are the ultimate flat pedal shoe but not cheap. I ride clipless pedals so I'm in shimano carbon shoes.

Oh, and get some gloves. I can recommend Sombrio for a great fit, endura for functionality and specialized for a bit of both. Clear lens glasses won't go amiss either, keep the **** out your eyes and still let you see in shady forests.

• Like 2

Personally I don't change what I wear depending on what flavour of cycling I do (Road/CX/MTB), so long as you are enjoying yourself that is all that matters. The only caveat to the previous statement, if looking to start downhill mountain biking, always wear proper protective clothing from the start.

I see far too many of my customers buying bikes and then asking me to upgrade/change components straight away because they think it needs doing, only to then not use the bike or realize it was perfectly fine before hand, my advise would be not to spend any money on your bike, unless it needs it (setup/maintenance), for a short time, get used to it, make sure its something you enjoy and would like to carry on with, at which point you will know what direction you would like to take your cycling and you can start customizing your bike to suit that riding style from there.

I wouldn't spend any money on your bike, unless it needs it (setup/maintenance), for a short time, get used to it, make sure its something you enjoy and would like to carry on with at which point you will know what you would like to change.

• Like 2

Personally I don't change what I wear depending on what flavour of cycling I do (Road/CX/MTB), so long as you are enjoying yourself that is all that matters. The only caveat to the previous statement, if looking to start downhill mountain biking, always wear proper protective clothing from the start.

I see far too many of my customers buying bikes and then asking me to upgrade/change components straight away because they think it needs doing, only to then not use the bike or realize it was perfectly fine before hand, my advise would be not to spend any money on your bike, unless it needs it (setup/maintenance), for a short time, get used to it, make sure its something you enjoy and would like to carry on with, at which point you will know what direction you would like to take your cycling and you can start customizing your bike to suit that riding style from there.

I wouldn't spend any money on your bike, unless it needs it (setup/maintenance), for a short time, get used to it, make sure its something you enjoy and would like to carry on with at which point you will know what you would like to change.

Very refreshing to see a buisiness giving out advice like this and not just advising every upgrade under the sun to make some money off the uneducated!

• 4 weeks later...

I also wear mostly the same stuff on the road or MTB, just vary it depending on the weather and conditions - usually a pair of shorts over cycling shorts or leggings for winter and a t-shirt with arm warmers or jacket when it's colder or wetter.

I hope you enjoy the mountain biking, when I wanted to do more cycling than just commuting I joined a local MTB group as it was October and there's not so much else at that time.  It was a steep learning curve as I bought my first proper MTB the day before and then headed off into my first night ride lacking decent lights, clothing, fitness and technical skills.  On the second ride most of the beginners abandoned the ride on the first hill and the two of us left were meant to go down an easier route while the rest went on the technical downhill.   Except we got lost and faced with being left in a dark forest on our own or trying to chase the rapidly disappearing lights on the technical trail, we went for the latter.  I had to carry my bike down that dark, muddy, slippery trail and by the bottom I'd had enough - I didn't care I'd bought the MTB and I thought the group wouldn't want a useless cyclist like me along anyway.

I was completely wrong, afterwards in a cafe I was told that was a tough ride but it would get easier to and to keep at it, keep coming back.  He was right and still go out cycling with the same group and what I like about mountain biking is the rides are quite casual and you can go any time, any where and in any weather and it's mostly still fun.  I do like the effortless feel of a road bike as it glides along the road but it's not much fun in poor weather.

John

• Like 1

On a similar theme I was up at Cwm Rhaeder near me the other day ambling along the fire road towards the technical descent and a Buzzard appeared and flew alongside me for about 20 metres.

Following that I was at my other local trails and emerged from the pine forest at the top of the valley before the final descent, and it was Kite feeding time. So there I was riding through a cloud of 50 Red Kites along sweet singletrack and bermed turns. That's why I like mountain biking, for the extra dimension of changing terrain and connecting with landscape...that and carving up off road trails.

Point is that cycling, and I believe mountain biking in particular offers up masses of fun for anybody of any level. But as your abilities grow the sport grows with you and offers up endless possibilities. I rode downhill for a while but returned to xc and trail after a few injuries and found myself doing the odd endurance race. Riding downhill certainly helped my bike handling skills more generally, and the races gave me an extra challenge that I perhaps crave. Anyway, I'm kind of waffling now, moral of the story, ride and have fun, find your limits and gently keep pushing them, it's a sport that offers so much more than just riding a bike.

• Like 1

As a fellow mountain biker I know what you mean but it can be difficult to explain, my friends think I'm crazy particularly in winter heading off into the dark, wet and muddy countryside to go mountain biking but doing it for enjoyment rather than fitness.  It's not something I would have understood either when I started as I found it stressful and hard work but now of course it's the other way round, it's a superb mental release particularly if I'm stressed about something.

John

• Like 1

I'd say my mtb riding is now as much about fitness as enjoyment, more so than before. So when I ride now I'm also thinking about how my rides can push fitness along. I often ride at trail centres these days so may do extra laps and extensions, and try to ride 2 or 3 times a week. Would love to ride 5 days out of 7 but with kids that's pretty impossible. On days when I can't get out I'll now get on SWMBO'S exercise bike to do some interval sprinting and I've really noticed the benefit of that. If you expand your heart rate range and recover quicker you really reap the benefits on a mountain bike because of the continual changes in pace and pretty much relentless effort that's required when you want to get a shift on. You can then tackle more technical stuff and longer distances with more confidence. Like I said it's a sport that grows with you. Don't get me wrong, I'm not the best rider in the world and I have a mid - high end hardtail. My kit is right for me and I've maximised what I can afford, it's all nicely balanced at the moment between my abilities and what I ride on and where I ride it.

Got some XTR discs on the way though (can't wait). Found a good used set on ebay and couldn't resist!

Definitely agree about the stress release, mtb has got me through some pretty **** times. If there's stuff on my mind though I don't push it on the ride because concentration and focus might be a bit off, so I'll just enjoy being out there more than challenging myself. It gives that kind of flexibility.

Nice mate. First things first get a short stem :no:  to sharpen up the handling be well worth it! Enjoy let us know how you get on!

First things first, ride the darn thing..............and enjoy.

As Dark Peak says, get used to it first before possibly wasting any money on unsuitable upgrades / replacements.

Then decide if you want / need to make any changes. ;) .

post-70322-0-37674400-1472904809_thumb.jpg

Both me and my mate are glad we bought full suspension bikes.

Clothing depends on your body and riding style. If you get cold / hot easily and ride easy or enjoy a hard ride.

Personally find a windproof (fronted) full zip top invaluable. Zip up = cold out, zip down = heat out.

I get cold if waiting around for someone or hot quickly if riding hard and overdressed.

I ride using cleats / shoes in warmer weather, but flat pedals and winter boots in colder / wetter weather.

Try 'Chain Reaction' for all your ride / clothing needs and register online with a few cycle shops and they will send you good offers occasionally.

A good set of winter knobbly tyres (mine Panaracer Trailrakers - puncture resistant) can also be a very good investment if riding in muddy terrain / trails.

Best rides for me have been Cannock Chase trails and a trip up to Dalby Forest on new years day a few years back was absolutely fantastic. At ten in the morning in a pub car park, freezing my bits off I thought WTF am I doing here. A few hours later eating lunch in the pub with friends and my thoughts were that this was possibly one of the best days of my life.

If you can find and follow a riding buddy a little more skilled than you are then you will enjoy all the more (if you like to push yourself) especially on the technical trails.

Enjoy the ride, as they say.

Edited by Tilt

Important Information

Welcome to BRISKODA. Please note the following important links Terms of Use. We have a comprehensive Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.