Fitting dash cam to PCP car

Hi all, some advice would be appreciated.

I do a long commute and would really like a dash cam for my fabia estate. I would prefer one that can be wired into the car so I don't have a cable running across the dash. I'm not at all electrically minded so would have to pay someone to fit it (Halfords maybe !!) but would fitting one void some PCP warranty or agreement. Also any recommendations for dash cams would be appreciated.

No idea on the warranty/agreement side of it im afraid however..........would have thought if you went to a proper place (Not Halfords)  they could certainly do an installation and removal at the end of the agreement that no one would be able to tell any different.

Plus if done right you wont see any cables etc at all.

Just a thought

Edited by Forge

Fitting a dashcam shouldn't be a problem. The dealer would have to prove that fitting a dashcam has directly caused the fault in order to say that the warranty is void.

If you have a look at this thread:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/400683-dashcam-wiring-nextbase-kit/

There is a guide on how to fit one.

If you'd prefer someone to do it for you then don't worry about going to Halfords, every store has a fully qualified IMI technology installer who has attended accredited training courses in order to become qualified to fit into customers cars. Some people just look down their nose at them.

If you do go the Halfords route then the 312gw is good. 1080p recording, wifi for viewing on your phone and it's a nice looking unit. If you go further up the range you get better picture quality and better night recording but lose the wifi.

There's dashcams on Amazon and eBay etc but the cheaper ones do feel and look cheap, instructions and menus tend to be in Chinese English too so not very user friendly.

Hope that helps.

I bought a 5m usb to mini usb cable and a usb car charger then run the cable for my camera round the windscreen and down below the dash to the 12v plug.

You have to plug it in every time you use the car but it also allows the camera to be left on while parked up at the shops etc if needed.

Takes minutes to remove the cable and no damage is done to the car :D

Have bought both cameras I use here from amazon after looking into reviews for them.

bought and fitted a Nextbase duo (to get the back windscreen as well without wiring in a separate camera). its a 720p so not as good quality but captures anything including number plates clearly if anything should happen. peace of mind for sure.

Followed the above thread/instructions to the letter and its been fine ever since installing it. 

I think on that thread we discuss the warranty etc and came to the conclusion they'd be harsh to void it as you're not actually changing anything. but it's a risk i'm willing to take. 

can't believe i didn't get one earlier now!