Steering rack

Just took a pic of mine on the Polo, with camera phone just above offside console bush, looking inward, roughly horizontally. It looks similar. Later TRW design. Will edit in the pic when it's uploaded off the phone.

Sounds like the SSP does lie a bit then w.r.t. the second sensor replacing the angle sensor, when fitted.

• Like 1

My vRS had ESP. Had a steering angle sensor as part of the contact ring but still had the standard sensor on the rack.

Oooh, that article is incorrect on that score then.

Was that meant to say 'two fan blades'? As in, the rack is different, not just the sensor?  Just popped out to try to look at mine, but my arm needs to be a foot longer, bendier, with some eyes on the end of a couple of the fingers etc. :D

Changeover appears to have been between chassis no. >6Y-3-731254 (captive lead) and 6Y-3-731255> (unpluggable)  so sometime during model year 2003. The existence of an 'adapter cable loom'  item 18B, 6Q2901129 makes me wonder about  backwards compatibility being possible? Maybe just so you can fit a new rack/sensor combo to an older car which wouldn't otherwise have the wiring required (cos it would disappear with the old sensor)? Reference page.                               

Edited by Wino

dm222 on here has a Seat something-or-other with chronic PAS problems. His has both sensors, which is confusing.

SSPs aren't always entirely error-free in my experience, but that might be a manufacturer-specific variation. 

Do any Mk1 Fabias have ESP?

Just it case it matters, dm222 has a 6J Ibiza without ESP, probably a 2009 or 2010 car.

Was that meant to say 'two fan blades'? As in, the rack is different, not just the sensor?  Just popped out to try to look at mine, but my arm needs to be a foot longer, bendier, with some eyes on the end of a couple of the fingers etc. :D

Changeover appears to have been between chassis no. >6Y-3-731254 (captive lead) and 6Y-3-731255> (unpluggable)  so sometime during model year 2003. The existence of an 'adapter cable loom'  item 18B, 6Q2901129 makes me wonder about  backwards compatibility being possible? Maybe just so you can fit a new rack/sensor combo to an older car which wouldn't otherwise have the wiring required (cos it would disappear with the old sensor)? Reference page.                               

Or it could be to allow the same sensor to be used with RHD (longer cable) as well as LHD.

• 2 weeks later...

The photo I promised a few posts ago, TRW, later version with unpluggable cable:

PAS%20sensor%20TRW.jpg

I've taken a couple of pics to illustrate my point.

This is the later steering rack (TRW). It has the twin blades on the pinion and a single flat sensor. The blades pass either side of the sensor for a stronger signal.

154D4033-338C-468E-AF9C-C0E5825DF31C_zps

68A1D7EA-0AA0-4842-B9A6-A618414E974E_zps

This is the earlier sensor

976776BA-EBFF-4008-B94F-32685AFEF742_zps

As you can see it's the sensor that is twinned and had a single blade that passed through it. The pump at the other end is identical as long as it's a TRW (which from my experience all RHD Fabias have been). They swapped sensors in 2003 ish and all vRS models have been the later sort.

• Like 1

I can confirm that the earlier/later trw sensors are not interchangeable - I tried to do it and it didn't even want to go in, even bent a blade on the rack-end trying. Fortunately some careful readjustment with long nose pliers and the correct sensor and all was well.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm the OP, guess I got the wrong TRW rack. It seems that I need a rod with 3 wires to the sensor as discussed here, so far I have only been able to find ones with 4, which sadly didnt fit. I just stumbled upon a TRW rack, supposedly with 3 wires. My original rack had part number 6Q1423051P, and i found one with part number 6Q(A)1423055G, from the specs I have been able to find they seem like they are the same. Can anyone confirm this? I guess I should not have ventured into this as I don't now up from down on a car :)

Thanks