1.6Tdi, 4yrs, 80,000 miles - should I change my cambelt?

The depths of the forum have provided conflicting information about this. From what I can gather the Skoda UK advice is 4 years and 60,000m, but the belt is a Continental lifetime belt and other countries don't recommend these intervals. Should I do it? If so is it worth doing the water pump at the same time? 

The depths of the forum have provided conflicting information about this. From what I can gather the Skoda UK advice is 4 years and 60,000m, but the belt is a Continental lifetime belt and other countries don't recommend these intervals. Should I do it? If so is it worth doing the water pump at the same time?

Skoda uk recommendation is 5 years / 140,000 miles - see here

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/329316-16-tdi-update-timing-belt-every-5-years/

having had the joys of a cambelt break on my old citroen BX diesel, I know the carnage that happens (took the cam shaft out in 4 large bits and lots of smaller bits, bent a number of valves etc)

I would say err on the side of caution, it may be expensive but far less than if it breaks

if you have the belt replaced always have the water pump replaced, its only a few extra bolts and a new pump probably adds £50 to the job, like if you have a gearbox out after a reasonable mileage replace the clutch as the parts are cheap compare to the labour of getting the gearbox out again later

• Like 1

Or just do it if you are keeping the vehicle and you have not had it from new so know how it was always driven.

The VW Group advice around the world on Service and Maintenance and the likes of Belt and Pump replacement is totally inconsistent because lots has to do with Fleet and Leasing and long Service & Maintenance intervals, then buyers of Used Cars get landed with doing the required maintenance and preventative servicing jobs.

Odd that advice to private buyers differs from what is given to Fleet Users, but then they just have vehicles for limited time and then 

the vehicles are returned.

What GoneOffSki says...and remember that the operating conditions for each country can be vastly different ie: colder, freezing, hotter, dustier, wetter, saltier...etc etc. Those factors alone considerably affect the life of the belt so VAG has to balance the best critical mileage and conditions for each country the vehicles will encounter as to when the belt is changed. They err on the safe side. Of course they cannot know how the car will be used either. For example, the average mileage in one country will be different to another, as will maybe the driving conditions. Someone who does short colder trips where the engine doesn't warm up quickly or never properly warms up will wear the belt faster than a Fleet vehicle being driven high miles and hot for most of it's life, irrespective of the country conditions it lives in. So it's not quite as simple as it seems. Manufacturers used to say a specific mileage and year for all of a model type, for any country, but this resulted in many wrecked engines until they realised belts wear in several different ways due to the long term conditions the cars were encountering country by country. And the way the cars were being used was having a big effect on belt wear. They just didn't expect such a dramatic difference in wear like that.

So to answer the op's question, as the other folks are saying, yes change it and get the pump and tensioner changed also. A kit is available with those things in it. We always changed the tensioner and pump each time as it's makes good sense.

Edited by Estate Man

Mines 4 years and 8 month old, 59,100 mile on the clock.

I've just changed my timing belt today, not a bad job to do really.

With talk of all this continental lifetime belt stuff, I was surprised to see the original VW belt being Dayco!

Anyway, full kit and water pump done now, good for another 5 years then :)

They use a variety of manufacturers for the belts such as dayco, continental, gates (usually unbranded) etc.

I wouldn't leave it later than 5 years just for peace of mind.

I have 2 cars of a similar age both with the pd engine in yet the belt change intervals are completely different. One states 40k and 4 years with the other 60k or 5 years!?

They use a variety of manufacturers for the belts such as dayco, continental, gates (usually unbranded) etc.

Interesting to know.

Back in 2010 I was lead to believe the 1.6CR always had the Continental ' Fit-for-Life ' belt hence service book simply stating 210000km (~130000 miles) with no time limit but now recommendation is 5 years or 210000km.

For my year 2000 Audi with the 1.9PD it was 5 years / 60000 miles but I have noticed the current recommendation is 4 years.

Edited by delta925

Yes delta, that's correct for the PD engine. The belts take considerable stick as they power not just the camshafts, but the fuel injector pumps too. That's unlike other diesel engines where the cambelts get a very relaxed time of it. 

• 4 months later...

Hi on the subject of cam belts I have a 2011 Fabia Estate TDI CR 105 which I have owned from new and covered just over 30000 miles. Being 5 years old I today booked the vehicle in for a service (£269) and believing a cam belt/tensioners/water pump was also advisable I requested a price for sopply and fit incl VAT(£465) but was informed my vehicle with Engine No CAY J32343 was chain driven so obviously no cam belt I questioned this several times, the service assistant even went to the service manager who confirmed this.  I was so surprised I asked if they would send me an email with their details on confirming this which they have.   Now having been a member for some time now and feel confident with forum members advise rather than my local Skoda agents...... can you help clear this up as I am not sure how I would stand legally should there be a cam belt which was not changed and it failed many thanks

Hi on the subject of cam belts I have a 2011 Fabia Estate TDI CR 105 which I have owned from new and covered just over 30000 miles. Being 5 years old I today booked the vehicle in for a service (£269) and believing a cam belt/tensioners/water pump was also advisable I requested a price for sopply and fit incl VAT(£465) but was informed my vehicle with Engine No CAY J32343 was chain driven so obviously no cam belt I questioned this several times, the service assistant even went to the service manager who confirmed this. I was so surprised I asked if they would send me an email with their details on confirming this which they have. Now having been a member for some time now and feel confident with forum members advise rather than my local Skoda agents...... can you help clear this up as I am not sure how I would stand legally should there be a cam belt which was not changed and it failed many thanks

I don't think skoda do or ever have used a chain driven Diesel engine. Your cams aren't even chain driven as the use sprockets.

In short - your engine 1.6 TDI CR CAY has a belt.

Edited by James@RRGRochdale

Many thanks for all your posts which goes to confirm what I already thought but having the main agent staff tell me different made me think I was somehow completely wrong. .

Wonder what would have happened if I had just taken there advise and the belt snapped - engine failure - would they have accepted responsibility?

The biggest problem you will find with most vehicle orientated service outlets is that front of house staff and managers have rarely actually worked on cars or done any of the jobs they over see.

They're number and paperwork people who tick the right boxes for the chiefs higher up the chain who see profit via any means over productivity, who allow leadership via dictatorship rather than through knowledge and coaching.