MKIII VRS TDI drivers getting more than 55Mpg...how do you drive?!

I don't have an RS, but a Scout with the same diesel engine. It weighs around 150kgs more.  

Out of interest I logged my consumption on the way home today from a trip to the mountains. Came down about 3200ft during the trip. 

post-143803-0-54754800-1471767082_thumb.jpg

I don't have an RS, but a Scout with the same diesel engine. It weighs around 150kgs more.  

Out of interest I logged my consumption on the way home today from a trip to the mountains. Came down about 3200ft during the trip. 

attachicon.gif20160821_165802.jpg

Recenlty being  seeing 56MPG on a like wise time and that average speed on urban/extra urban diving I struggled to see that on a motorway at 70MPH before now. I have for the last 2 months run my manual vRS in Sport Mode, filled up with (don't inten to start any fuel/placebo arguments) Shell vPower. Have also changed driving sytyle recently as looking to take the Advanced test and that has helped a bit too i.e. use of clutch/brakes, acceleration and even steering method.

Overall in 6K since new I am 43MPG over 660 Litres of fuel. A few longish trips but still over 70% stop/start to be honest.

attachicon.gif20160821_165802.jpg

My overall average for the last 3,000 miles since new is 46 mpg.

My DSG tdi is on 11k miles after almost 4 months and I'm still struggling to get over 42mpg..... As soon as I do over 75 the mpg plummets! For me to get anywhere near 50mpg it would take some real concentration and discipline, too busy avoiding **** heads on the road to concentrate on mpg!! 

• Like 1

My DSG tdi is on 11k miles after almost 4 months and I'm still struggling to get over 42mpg..... As soon as I do over 75 the mpg plummets! For me to get anywhere near 50mpg it would take some real concentration and discipline, too busy avoiding **** heads on the road to concentrate on mpg!! 

Yep, here too. If I keep at steady 70MPH I can get 56 if lucky. I don't think I had an average on a journey yet better than 57MPG.

I'm hoping with another 25K the car will be better, just in time to give it back to VWFS :-) .

Mixed driving since April didn't buy it for economy (see screen shot). That said on a recent 227 mile trip to visit family, boot loaded four adults and a baby seat that weighs the same as a mini I saw 56 MPG. And that was at a 70-80 mph. My Mrk 2 was better on MPG at a nice pace. Also I more or less constantly have the air con.

post-50628-0-67958700-1471821096_thumb.png

Edited by Lew0-VRS

• 2 weeks later...

Mixed driving since April didn't buy it for economy (see screen shot). That said on a recent 227 mile trip to visit family, boot loaded four adults and a baby seat that weighs the same as a mini I saw 56 MPG. And that was at a 70-80 mph. My Mrk 2 was better on MPG at a nice pace. Also I more or less constantly have the air con.

I also use Road trip! Really wish I could get it on my Android phone. Now I just steal my wife's iPhone to log my mpg!

• Like 1

I also use Road trip! Really wish I could get it on my Android phone. Now I just steal my wife's iPhone to log my mpg!

Have a look at Fuelio - I've been using it for a couple of months and it looks quite similar to the screen shot posted above.

• Like 1