Head Unit Colour?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Nick,

Used the spare DIN slot for the DVD player.

The bottom unit is the control head for my dual band VHF/UHF radio - I removed the complete ash tray assembly (i.e. rotating cover) which created exactly the right size space to fit the c/head in! The transceiver for the 2 way radio is fitted on the inside of the n/s boot storage compartment and the Navigation computer is fitted on the boot floor, under the false cover in front of the spare wheel well. As you can imagine, there is a lot of additional cabling that runs down the n/s of the car!

As the head unit is an AM/FM + DAB I have fitted a combined antenna that provides both functions and also incorporates a GPS antenna for the sat nav - this replaces the original sportflex antenna on rear of roof.

You can see further pics of my install on Mannys site, link below:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jotero/galleries/jaytee.htm

John.

Nick,

The head unit is a Blaupunkt Woodstock DAB52 and is a std radio (AM/FM) plus DAB (digital audio broadcast) -see http://www.worlddab.org/ The H/U also has a CD player (MP3 compatible), MMC card slot and CD autochanger function - see http://www.bluespot.co.uk/stock/woodstock.asp for spec.

DAB is great with good quality sound and lots of extra stations, but you do need to have a special antenna to receive it.

I also changed the CD changer to Blaupunkt type as the original wasn't compatible with the DAB52, so yet another cable to run!

The gizmo on the screen is the laser detector that comes with Road Angel.

John.

Jaytee. did you fit the woodstock yourself? which areial do you have, the screen one, the bee-sting, or the dual band one? how hard are they to fit. ive been looking into getting a tricked up DAB unit like the woodstock, but having to get an extra areial is putting me off.

Hi Colin,

Yes, I have installed everything in the car, so pretty well know how it comes to bits and almost know how it goes back together!

The antenna that I am using is a unit we assembled from a number of different parts to give GPS in addition to AM/FM & DAB.

We do the glassmount antenna that Blaupunkt can/do supply with this radio.We also have a stock beesting type that has AM/FM+DAB, essentially the same as I use, less GPS. This unit is excellent as it is an active antenna on DAB for both band 3 (VHF) and also L Band (as used in France & Germany).

The beesting type isn't cheap but will give DAB reception where the glassmount doesn't and is ideal as a direct replacement where a beesting type is already fitted.

On the Woodstock, there is a seperate connector for the DAB, so effectively you have to run 2 antenna cables to the head unit.

If you want further info, PM me - our website is www.panorama.co.uk for general info on what we do.

John.

• 2 weeks later...
But is the same type of green? Or are they two clashing types of green?

Er, if my slightly older Alpine is anything to go by Dutch, they are slightly different. :color:

But as long as you don't stare at it too long, you (hardly) ever notice!