Keep getting cut up by octavia's.. :)

Ok this is completely trivial, but for those with radar cruise, when a car comes in front of you or you come up behind it it displays a picture of a car on the screen - in the case of the superb its clearly an octavia, but when you are in heavy traffic it occasionally shows another car in another line - it doesn't happen very often (and I have yet to work out what triggers it sometimes and not others) but the completely trivial question is what car is it - I think its probably a yeti but wondered if others had better view ...

post-144498-0-58134500-1472544099_thumb.png

It´s all white Octavia´s, and it disturbs my CDO. Could it at least be a colour-matched Superb instead! But once, the system got it right :)

gallery_65921_2076_85747.jpg

• Like 3

Guys yours cant be working properly. Mine identifies and shows the correct make, model and year.... Even shows if that particular car has any special mods and if it's a fit bird driving if she is available ....

• Like 4

I've noticed that too - the other car that appears (in the lane to the right, for the UK, or left of the car for the continent I'm guessing) is different to the image that is displayed for the vehicle directly in front of you.. not figured out what it is yet or indeed when the car decides to show it; sometimes it'll pop up and my car will then 'hold station' relative to the car in the next lane over (preventing undertaking) and sometimes it won't..

Guys yours cant be working properly. Mine identifies and shows the correct make, model and year.... Even shows if that particular car has any special mods and if it's a fit bird driving if she is available ....

Trust a Yorkshire-man to come up with a post like that.

:D  :clap:

• Like 3

Nice concept. but we'd need some other options for when SWMBO is at the wheel of the Golf!

• Like 3

On my car both the car "in front of you" and the one in "the other lane" is shown as a white Octavia Liftback, as indicated above.

On my car both the car "in front of you" and the one in "the other lane" is shown as a white Octavia Liftback, as indicated above.

Ahhh... I'd get it booked into the dealer then GaSelle to have it checked out.... Just print out my post to show the service dept ....

Ahhh... I'd get it booked into the dealer then GaSelle to have it checked out.... Just print out my post to show the service dept ....

Actually, it´s already at the dealer to get new clutches at the moment. I highly doubt, that they can find any updates that will make it identify the correct cars spotted :)

Actually, it´s already at the dealer to get new clutches at the moment. I highly doubt, that they can find any updates that will make it identify the correct cars spotted :)

;)  :angel:

But on another hand, my dad has a ´15 Nissan Qashqai, where you in a menu can select the colour of your car to be shown in the displays. That´s  a little step on the way... Combine that with the A5 camera in the windscreen, and... No, I´ll just leave it here :)

• Like 1

From my experience on the autobahn the ACC detection flashes up briefly if I'm following the vehicle in front below my preset ACC speed and a car passes faster than my actual speed but no faster than the ACC preset speed. It also shows this outer car moving forward.

My interpretation is "Hey, wake up! You set the ACC to 100 mph and you're crawling behind this lamer at 70 mph? Shift your butt and follow that faster car."

• Like 2

preventing undertaking

This is exactly what it does. And it will be shown in a situation where car will stop following car in front and adjust speed to car in next lane to prevent undertaking. If you tap on acc pedal, you will undertake him with no problems. This is sometimes needed on exit ramps on motorways and such :)

Edited by doublev
  • Like 1

This is exactly what it does. And it will be shown in a situation where car will stop following car in front and adjust speed to car in next lane to prevent undertaking. If you tap on acc pedal, you will undertake him with no problems. This is sometimes needed on exit ramps on motorways and such :)

Yep that's usually when it catches me - or on our "managed motorways" when the hard shoulder is a live lane and the (always busier as nobody likes using the shoulder) main carriageway slows down and I end up with an angry Audi (why is it always an Audi?) running up my rear.. :lol:

I wonder if it will still prevent undertaking in Oz since it's so commonplace here that I don't even think it's illegal..

Sounds like the US when I drove there! Especially in OKC I just assumed it was a no-rules free for all..

I wonder if it will still prevent undertaking in Oz since it's so commonplace here that I don't even think it's illegal..

Driven in the US many times where its legal and it really works, could do with bringing it into the UK, technically you can get nicked for lane hogging but there aren't enough traffic police to enforce it hence you get the muppets doing 70mph in lane 2 when lane 1 is empty, so your choice is to do it the legal way and got out to lane 3 to overtake and go back into lane 1 (or 2 depending on conditions) or illegally undertake them!

The rule I don't like in the US is its illegal for motorcycles to filter, they call it lane splitting and its a pain waiting in stationary traffic when you could quite easily with caution filter up the outside of it. 

• Like 1

Highway code

Rule 268

Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake. In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right. In these conditions you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right. Do not weave in and out of lanes to overtake.

It's a bit vague to say the least!

• Like 1

The point is that it does not say 'must' or 'must not' so it is not 'illegal' to pass to the left. The law recognises there are occasions where it is perfectly sensible to do so safely. Slow moving , congested traffic is just one example. 

What you will eventually get clobbered for would be undertaking in a dangerous manner in order to make progress. For example undertaking someone who is impeding your progress simply because they are already travelling at the posted or national limit.

• Like 1

I thought this was another of Nick's jokes but it's true. I took my car in for it's first service and asked if it was an optional upgrade. I was told it's now been discontinued because it gets confused between mechanicals and humans and recognises any Ferrari or Lamborghini as a "fit bird" regardless of what gender is driving it. In addition 911s were "goers", Mercs were "stuck-up tarts", BMWs were "up for it", Peugeots were "mutton dressed as lamb", Tesla were "batting for the other team", Prius was a "cross-dresser" and, most bizarrely, Zafiras were considered "hot" for some reason.

• Like 4

I thought this was another of Nick's jokes but it's true. I took my car in for it's first service and asked if it was an optional upgrade. I was told it's now been discontinued because it gets confused between mechanicals and humans and recognises any Ferrari or Lamborghini as a "fit bird" regardless of what gender is driving it. In addition 911s were "goers", Mercs were "stuck-up tarts", BMWs were "up for it", Peugeots were "mutton dressed as lamb", Tesla were "batting for the other team", Prius was a "cross-dresser" and, most bizarrely, Zafiras were considered "hot" for some reason.

Come on BJ you know Yorkshire blokes have no sense of humour and not enough grey matter to make anything up so whatever we say should be taken as gospel .....

• Like 1

Highway code

Rule 268

Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake. In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right. In these conditions you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right. Do not weave in and out of lanes to overtake.

It's a bit vague to say the least!

The point is that it does not say 'must' or 'must not' so it is not 'illegal' to pass to the left. The law recognises there are occasions where it is perfectly sensible to do so safely. Slow moving , congested traffic is just one example. 

What you will eventually get clobbered for would be undertaking in a dangerous manner in order to make progress. For example undertaking someone who is impeding your progress simply because they are already travelling at the posted or national limit.

So lets get rid of any ambiguity and make passing on the left perfectly legal so that flat cap man can keep in lane 2 doing 68mph and save all the frustration that it creates, plus it will make life much easier for the traffic police who can deal with bad driving/riding as they see fit.

Makes sense to me, or am I in the minority!?

+1 to that rant BillyJim. The only time I see 'traffic' on the road these days is, as you say, when there is a mess to clean up.

The attached link shows just the sort of collision that you mention and one that would inevitably occur if passing on the left was allowed.

Reason for my opinion is that the only time people would really want to drive that way is at times of high volume where all lanes are busy and potentially bunching. Switching lanes at close quarters behind large vehicles when your forward vision is less than it would be if passing to the right (in the UK that is) is just one example of the increased risk. If you watch people switching lanes into gaps that are not really there in the current setup just imagine that happening in both directions and with very limited forward vision in many cases.

No thank you, I am perfectly happy with the current arrangement.

Totally understand and respect both sets of comments above and will add that it's not something that I do, just wondering why it appears to work in the US?

I also agree with your last statement that all these laws and rules are fine providing you have the Roads Policing Units (Traffic Police) on the ground to enforce them, sadly the focus seems to be on low cost/high reward options rather than people on the ground enforcing the law with fixed penalty notices and the back of a police car chat to point out the error of your ways.

The biggest danger I see today is people using mobile phones even though its a "points" offence, however its only "points"  if someone is there to see it, stop the individual and issue the ticket, you definitely need more units on the motorway and the more visible they are the better. 

• Like 1

Totally understand and respect both sets of comments above and will add that it's not something that I do, just wondering why it appears to work in the US?

I also agree with your last statement that all these laws and rules are fine providing you have the Roads Policing Units (Traffic Police) on the ground to enforce them, sadly the focus seems to be on low cost/high reward options rather than people on the ground enforcing the law with fixed penalty notices and the back of a police car chat to point out the error of your ways.

The biggest danger I see today is people using mobile phones even though its a "points" offence, however its only "points"  if someone is there to see it, stop the individual and issue the ticket, you definitely need more units on the motorway and the more visible they are the better. 

Why does "passing either side" work in N. America?

FWIW, it's only allowed on 3+ lane divided highways, often where all the lanes are moving at or close to the posted speed limits (including the big rigs).

DC