Coolant Advice

Hi All

Currently in rural France with a 500+ mile drive home tomorrow, just checked fluids & noticed coolant is just above min, was between min &a max when left 2 weeks ago so my question is if it drops too low on my way home would it be OK to top up with just water to get home and re top up with coolant at home? I should of brought some over as my car has "used" coolant in the past, replacement turbo, system pressure tested etc & no leaks found.

Cheers

Ian

If it's that pink stuff G13 in your top water reservoir, then water is used to get the right consistency, once G13 has been applied.

Get consistency checked-out at the garage once you are home for the approaching winter months for protection.

Ditto Ian..

Edited by giandougl

Hi All

Currently in rural France with a 500+ mile drive home tomorrow, just checked fluids & noticed coolant is just above min, was between min &a max when left 2 weeks ago so my question is if it drops too low on my way home would it be OK to top up with just water to get home and re top up with coolant at home? I should of brought some over as my car has "used" coolant in the past, replacement turbo, system pressure tested etc & no leaks found.

Cheers

Ian

Yes, although the actual correct coolant:water ratio would be better, it won't do it any harm if you only have water at the time. Then get it checked when you return :)

EDIT: Unless it's still under warranty, in which case no; only the correct mix of coolant and water should be used unless Skoda advise you otherwise (and in a way that can be proven, in case something happens) :) 

Edited by FluffyEyeball

I have a similar question, so hopefully OK to jump on this thread?

My coolant light came on tonight (red not Amber)

18 month old car with 14k on the clock. Whilst I check levels, I've never had to top up any car with this amount of miles in such a short space of time. In fairness I usually only keep the cars for about 12 months, but I still think it's quite heavy consumption, or am I just being presumptuous?

I do drive the car quite hard and just returned from a 700 mile round trip.

I'll top it up tomorrow but is this normal?

Picture, you can just see how low it's actually gone.

post-119739-0-82111800-1472771677_thumb.jpeg

A cars cooling system is a sealed, pressurise system and in theory should never lose any coolant. In the real world it's ok to accept minimal losses but generally speaking next to nothing.

If the coolant level drops then there is a small leak somewhere in the system and this should be investigated as it will only get worse over time

The best way would be to add UV dye (ring automotive do a kit) and run it for a few weeks and then use the UV torch in the kit to check for leaks

I have a similar question, so hopefully OK to jump on this thread?

My coolant light came on tonight (red not Amber)

18 month old car with 14k on the clock. Whilst I check levels, I've never had to top up any car with this amount of miles in such a short space of time. In fairness I usually only keep the cars for about 12 months, but I still think it's quite heavy consumption, or am I just being presumptuous?

I do drive the car quite hard and just returned from a 700 mile round trip.

I'll top it up tomorrow but is this normal?

Picture, you can just see how low it's actually gone.

Yours looks like its leaking from the plastic header tank - that white staining is coolant; most likely from the hose or the pressure cap

• Like 1

Thanks, I'll take a look over the weekend and see if anything is loose etc. I'll consider the dye, but it can go back to the dealer to sort as it shouldn't be doing that already.