SatNav issue

Hi guys.

My brand new Superb has a real annoying Columbus SatNav issue that I wonder if anyone else has experienced.

The arrow indicator showing location of car freezes for many seconds, then catch up to current location before freezing again.

The entire screen does not freeze as the map turns if I turn the car, but the arrow does not move.

This all renders navigation useless as instructions are given, but turns are passed before arrow once more catches up.

The map software has been updated to latest ECE 2017 without any luck

It is scheduled for a trip to Skoda service next Friday, and they figured it was either some bad firmware or a faulty GPS receiver.

Anyone experienced the same?

Everything you had + the cars location jumping 50m to the right. But in a 2014 BMW with their top navgation system (£1980 extra). Only occurred once and the car was OK the following morning when I contacted the local BMW dealer who told me several owners had reported the issue but they hadn't reported it to BMW - no money for them in that.

In my case I was close to the UK army's helicopter "school" and I think an unofficial GPS jamming excercise was taking place. I found a UK defence web site that should give advanced notice of "jamming" - the database was empty!

The British Army seems to like going on NATO excercises in Norway - any possibility of military jamming in your area? With the low signal strength of GPS transmissions I suspect that a helicopter could emulate a GPS satellite to throw out the GPS positions of ground troops whilst not affecting any nearby civil aircraft (who would report GPS errors)

Hi guys.

My brand new Superb has a real annoying Columbus SatNav issue that I wonder if anyone else has experienced.

The arrow indicator showing location of car freezes for many seconds, then catch up to current location before freezing again.

The entire screen does not freeze as the map turns if I turn the car, but the arrow does not move.

This all renders navigation useless as instructions are given, but turns are passed before arrow once more catches up.

The map software has been updated to latest ECE 2017 without any luck

It is scheduled for a trip to Skoda service next Friday, and they figured it was either some bad firmware or a faulty GPS receiver.

Anyone experienced the same?

Sounds like its missing the input from the wheel speed sensors, any other warning lights? Unlike a Tomtom etc. GPS is only sampled periodically as the car also uses the wheel speed sensors and steering angle sensor to calculate position. Without the wheel speed sensors you appear to jump along the road as GPS is sampled.

Sounds like a poor GPS signal, might be a poor connection on the GPS aerial lead. I had this when my car went in for a poor fitting glovebox. Got the car back and after driving about 3 miles the arrow on the screen was doing all sorts of random this and ended up showing me being about 75 miles from where I actually was. Took the car back and the problemwas fixed in 15 minutes by plugging the aerial in  :dull:

Some people here have reported this issue before on other threads and the suggestion was the GPS receiver which is located on or near the windscreen was not receiving the full signal as the elements in the heated windscreen were creating a barrier to perfect reception

Some people here have reported this issue before on other threads and the suggestion was the GPS receiver which is located on or near the windscreen was not receiving the full signal as the elements in the heated windscreen were creating a barrier to perfect reception

That only applies to third-party SatNav devices like Garmin and Tom-Tom where the GPS receiver is in the unit, hence issues with the metal film now used in heated windscreens.

The OP's issue is with the built-in SatNav that uses the shark fin aerial on the roof, so I'd be inclined to go with a wiring issue.

• Like 1

So the car has been in for service today.
They did not resolve the issue after having verified SW versions and connections (also wheel speed sensors - they said :wonder: ) and having reset the system.

After having been in contact with the Skoda factory they have been told to replace the GPS receiver/antenna, so I will be going back in 2 weeks time  :S

Let's see if that resolves it - I have my doubts, as the GPS signal is OK and spot on at refresh intervals.

• 3 weeks later...

It of course had to happen...

The evening before it was going in for another look/fix, I took the car for a spin to check SatNav situation. Disappointment awaited me as the SatNav worked like a charm.

Woke up early next morning to find it still working. New then that it would be impossible for Skoda to debug/diagnose and fix anything this time around, as there was nothing wrong...

They had the car for the day, all was just fine. Now I have to cross my fingers that the issue does not return, or maybe that it does so that they can fix it.

Mine is an SE Business and it has definitely done that a couple of times on the Amundsen Satnav, but I couldn't guarantee I hadn't been messing about i.e. zooming in etc. But if you hit one of the icons down the right hand side I think it's the second one from the top it catches up.