Octavia VRS Diesel Using Oil Occasional White Smoke ?

We have a 62 plate Skoda Octavia VRS DSG Diesel estate ex police car.

I have had it since Jan 2016 and got it with 103K miles on and full service history all good.

It has now done 113K and has just been serviced 1000 miles ago.

However it started to develop a smokey burnt oil smell about a week ago and every now and then for a short while has white smoke from the exhaust that quickly clears up again.

In one week and 500 miles it has gone from max to min on the dipstick and continues to smell and occasionally omit white smoke but there is no rhyme or reason to it when etc ?

Any ideas what this could be ?? Rings, Turbo, push rod seals ??

Thanks

Ruari

Water and Oil do not contain any emulsion and no water used only oil - it is very strange last night I had two miles of white smoke then gone again for 300miles on varoius local and longer runs since then.

Cannot pinpoint it too high acceleration or warm or cold engine - just totally unpredictable ?

OK mechanic friend came out yesterday (I was not at home) and checked it over and put all his electronic diagnosis stuff on it and could find nothing wrong - it us using less oil now and the white smoke is less frequent now - when i say white it is definitely an oily smoke as you can smell the oil. But only comes for a short while, a few 100 yards or a couple miles then goes again ??

Is there any kind of valve might be sticking >> Mike the mechanic was thinking this way ??

Makes some sense maybe a vent from the rocker cover or sump direct to exhaust ??

At least it does not seem to be a broken engine yet and shluld not be at 113,000 miles 

HELP ??

• 2 months later...

Still needing help in this Topic as car still smoking but only very occasionally now and for less than 1/4 mile at a time. Does not use hardly any oil.

Seemed to improve after adding one of those bottles of diesel fuel engine cleaners ??

My mechanic thinks it could be a valve that occasionally sticks and causing the oil discharge / ****e smoke but he did not know which or what

Can anybody help please ??

• 1 month later...

hi

if its white smoke it could be oil leaking from turbo directly into exhaust when hot its white smoke

if oil was leaking into combustion chamber it would be blue

if overfueling it would be black.

if its them oily smelly fumes as well might be worth checking inlet manifold and egr for blockage with carbon.

• 4 years later...