Gap insurance Supplementary order

Szmulik

Hi I ordered Skoda  Estate greenline last week.

It is my first new car so I never before did know about Gap insurance.

The salesman offered me Gap insurance at 399GBP and Smart plus Insurance at 599 . He forced me to sign Supplementary order which says:

I Hereby agree to purchase from you subject to the therms and conditions hereof the undermentioned extracts and accessories.

Gap insurance   399

Smart Plus Insurance 599

I did not pay for it yet.

I have noticed that gap insurance is very expensive there is more of cheapest  online.

My questions is:

What is the legal meaning of supplementary order which I have signed?  Can I say to my dealer that i do not want Gap insurance anymore? Or if I signed already do I have to buy it?

Regards

Adam

• Like 1

• Administrators

Hi Adam,

First off gap can be had for a lot less.

This is a link to Chris Knott, one of our community supporters

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/forum/347-chris-knott-gap-cover-online-quotes-from-just-%C2%A38500/

Now the spanner in the works is the order form that you've been forced to sign. This needs to be clarified and crucially any exit conditions to what is now a signed document. Specifically, is there is a cooling off period. ( 7 to 14 days I'd expect )

I've no idea what smart plus insurance is, that's a new one. Which dealership is out of interest? ( You can pm me that bit, but no harm sharing for others benefit )

The order form is the document to focus on right now!

Best just contact them and say you are not purchasing their overpriced insurance products.

Then once you have told them verbally confirm that in writing to the Senior Sales Person & the Finance Manager.

No need to buy from them, and unless you were given the Terms & Conditions to read at your leisure the salesperson should not have been asking you to sign for the GAP or Smart Plus.

Good value products are available from trusted sellers after reading the T&C's.

• Like 1

• Sponsor

Hi I ordered Skoda  Estate greenline last week.

It is my first new car so I never before did know about Gap insurance.

The salesman offered me Gap insurance at 399GBP and Smart plus Insurance at 599 . He forced me to sign Supplementary order which says:

I Hereby agree to purchase from you subject to the therms and conditions hereof the undermentioned extracts and accessories.

Gap insurance   399

Smart Plus Insurance 599

I did not pay for it yet.

I have noticed that gap insurance is very expensive there is more of cheapest  online.

My questions is:

What is the legal meaning of supplementary order which I have signed?  Can I say to my dealer that i do not want Gap insurance anymore? Or if I signed already do I have to buy it?

Regards

Adam

Adam,

Aside from the fact that £399 for GAP insurance and £599 for Scratch & Dent insurance are rediculously high prices, they cannot force you to buy either policy if you have not yet paid for them and even if they have, all insurance contracts incorporate a cooling off period (minimum 14 days) in which you're entitled to cancel the policy and gain a full refund. Note that technically, they are permitted to charge an administration fee for cancellation within the cooling off period, but almost nobody does - specifically in relation to GAP and Scratch & Dent cover that is.

So... don't be scared of telling them that you've changed your mind.

Separately it reads to me like the dealer may be treading on very thin ice in terms of the legality of their proces in selling you the GAP insurance. To clarify, as from September 1st last year there's a strict process that they need to follow in so much that they aren't allowed to conclude a GAP insurance contract with you until at least the 4th day after they first introduce you to the concept of GAP insurance and when they do first introduce it to you they need to provide you with very specific information (known as "Prescribed Information") about their GAP insurance offer which should include various things, not least that they're obliged to bring to your attention the fact that it is available from other providers.  The 4-day rule is designed to permit you to consider your requirements and decide whether you wish to purchase from the dealer, or elsewhere.

If your first introduction to GAP insurance was this supplementary order which to a layman reads as though you're committing to purchasing the GAP insurance, then I'd suggest the FCA would be very interested to know about it.

To clarify, the 4-day rule works as follows:

• Day 1 -

The dealer informs you about GAP insurance and provides you with the "Prescribed Information" (main features, benefits & exclusions, the total price of their policy and notification that it's not compulsory and that you CAN buy it elsewhere).

• Day 2 & Day 3 -

You can instruct the dealer that you wish to buy their policy, but this cannot come about through contact initiated by the dealer.

• Day 4 -

The first day that the dealer is permitted to raise the topic of GAP insurance with you again and (assuming you want it) conclude the contract for it.

My suggestion is that if the Supplementary Order is what you're walking away with on Day 1 and it's misleading you in to thinking that you're contractually obliged to go ahead with the purchase of the GAP insurance policy (you're not!), it's almost certainly not going to be acceptable to the FCA and (in my view) contrary to the laws that came in to force last September.

To confirm, the 4-day rule doesn't apply to Scratch & Dent cover (though it's only a matter of time before Motor Dealers have their wrists slapped for mis-selling that too).

Incidentally, I can provide you with Invoice GAP insurance (which is almost certainly what the dealer has offered you, although our policy terms are superior than theirs) or the superior Replacement GAP insurance for a duration of 1-5 years.  I can also provide you with Scratch & Dent cover (what they call "Smart Plus Insurance") for 1-3 years.  Our prices will be NOTHING LIKE £399 or £599 and as a BRISKODA forum member you can use discount code "BRISKODA10" to obtain a further 10% discount. See: www.gapinsurance.co.uk for more details or of course, if you have any questions that you think I can help with, please just ask.

Whether you buy these policies from us or anyone else, tell the dealer to stick their unreasonable "supplementary order" where other types of supplements often go :devil: :peek: 

• Sponsor

David, What is the typical cost of your scratch @ dent policy?

What are the benefits & when can it be purchased in relation to a new car?

Prices vary because we allow for greater customisation of the policy than any other provider.  Customisation options include:

• 1, 2 or 3 years cover permitting 3, 6 or 9 claims respectively.
  • Per claim excess options of £0, £10, £15 or £25
  • Damage size limits of 15cm, 20cm or 30cm (e.g. it covers scratches/dents up to this size in length and/or diameter)
  • One or two panel cover (e.g. to cover a scratch across front & rear door, or wing and door etc, you'd have to have two panel cover otherwise it'll only cover a scratch/dent affecting a single panel).

To give you an idea of price range, it starts at £96 (12 months, £25 excess, 15cm, one panel) and goes to a maximum of £390 (36 months, £0 excess, 30cm, two panel).  Note that these prices are BEFORE applying the BRISKODA 10% discount.

It needs to be purchased within 60 days of taking ownership of the vehicle.

See more (FAQ's and T's & C's etc) at: https://www.gapinsurance.co.uk/scratch-and-dent.asp

Any other questions, just ask, but note that I'm just about to head out for a Stag weekend so I may not be able to reply (coherently at least) until Monday :-)  Hovercraft racing (of all things) at www.hoverforce.co.uk is the first port of call :D - I hadn't even realised that that was a thing!

Edited by David@GAPInsurance

Prices vary because we allow for greater customisation of the policy than any other provider. Customisation options include:

• 1, 2 or 3 years cover permitting 3, 6 or 9 claims respectively.
  • Per claim excess options of £0, £10, £15 or £25
  • Damage size limits of 15cm, 20cm or 30cm (e.g. it covers scratches/dents up to this size in length and/or diameter)
  • One or two panel cover (e.g. to cover a scratch across front & rear door, or wing and door etc, you'd have to have two panel cover otherwise it'll only cover a scratch/dent affecting a single panel).
To give you an idea of price range, it starts at £96 (12 months, £25 excess, 15cm, one panel) and goes to a maximum of £390 (36 months, £0 excess, 30cm, two panel). Note that these prices are BEFORE applying the BRISKODA 10% discount.

It needs to be purchased within 60 days of taking ownership of the vehicle.

See more (FAQ's and T's & C's etc) at: https://www.gapinsurance.co.uk/scratch-and-dent.asp

Any other questions, just ask, but note that I'm just about to head out for a Stag weekend so I may not be able to reply (coherently at least) until Monday :-) Hovercraft racing (of all things) at www.hoverforce.co.uk is the first port of call :D - I hadn't even realised that that was a thing!

Can you quickly quote-

2 years

0 excess

3 or 6 claims

1 panel, 20cm

Briskoda member :)

Edited by 999pooch

• Sponsor

Can you quickly quote-

2 years

0 excess

3 or 6 claims

1 panel, 20cm

Briskoda member :)

Sorry - I literally sent that previous post of mine, then packed up and left for the day.

Based on the following:

• 2yr cover period (permits up to 6 claims)
  • £0 excess per claim
  • 1 panel cover
  • 20cm

The price would be £218, less your BRISKODA discount, which brings it to £196.20

Increasing it to 2-panel cover would take it to £258 less your discount which would bring it to £232.20

Alternatively, put it to 2-panel cover but step up to a £10 per claim excess and the price is £236 which, after discount makes it £212.40. 

If you go to www.gapinsurance.co.uk/scratch-and-dent.asp, just enter a vehicle value and a valid date of reg & purchase (you can put contact details in too, but you don't have to) and you can play around with all of the various options - there's no charge for window-shopping :-) (just remember that the prices quoted will be BEFORE your 10% discount).

Best wishes

David

To give you an idea of price range, it starts at £96 (12 months, £25 excess, 15cm, one panel) and goes to a maximum of £390 (36 months, £0 excess, 30cm, two panel).  Note that these prices are BEFORE applying the BRISKODA 10% discount.

Smart plus insurance which they offered  included  repairs on my driveway. Numbers of claims was not limited but all claims could not extend 3000GBP on body and 1500 on wheels. 

Is your policy also offer repair on my driveway?

Edited by Szmulik

• Sponsor

Smart plus insurance which they offered included repairs on my driveway. Numbers of claims was not limited but all claims could not extend 3000GBP on body and 1500 on wheels.

Is your policy also offer repair on my driveway?

Repairs can be carried out at a location of your choice (so long as it's both practical and safe for the repairer).

Note that our policy is just Scratch & Dent insurance (e.g. Bodywork) we don't (currently at least) offer tyre or alloy wheel insurance. Though we are launching this very soon.

Was it a form to say you'd ordered it or a form to say you'd been offered it and said yes/no?

They can not force you to take it and you also have a legal 14 day cooling off period too.

Personally I declined both and then added GAP some months later through a third party, as my motor insurance gives a new replacement in the first year.

Technically anyone forcing you to sign the form, is misselling, although you'd need proof of that.

Either way, all financial contracts have a cool off period, so walk away from it if you're inside of this and get better value elsewhere.

Only thing to say is check the level of cover you are buying as some polices (no matter who is supplying it) sometimes have some nasty clauses.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Repairs can be carried out at a location of your choice (so long as it's both practical and safe for the repairer).

Note that our policy is just Scratch & Dent insurance (e.g. Bodywork) we don't (currently at least) offer tyre or alloy wheel insurance. Though we are launching this very soon.

Thanks David I just ordered your Gap and Scratch and dent insurance:)

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I made one claim already with GAPInsurance Scratch and dent insurance and I'm not really  happy with this. 

I had one small scratch on car door.  The scratch was fixed on my driveway, it took few minutes.  Everything looked ok , I was happy with that few months until Today. 

I just noticed that the door looks terrible in very sunny day.

What do you think about it?

598debf66e1b9_6588711683054435294-account_id1.thumb.jpg.df2b79dc33ed8eae3b6f0e8edc0255ab.jpg

• Sponsor

I don't have any personal experience of such repairs and therefore have no real expertise on which to form a qualified opinion.

My personal opinion however is that although there is a disclaimer that aftermarket repairs may remain slightly visibile, if the repaired area is as visible as this photo appears to suggest, I'd be arguing that it's stretching the boundaries of being "slightly" visible - to say the least.

You need an expert to look at this for you.  All repairs under these policies are carried out by Revive-UK. Their repairs are backed by a "Lifetime Ownership Guarantee" (See: https://revive-uk.com/why-revive/lifetime-ownership-guarantee/) therefore in your position I'd be calling upon this.  I'm not entirely sure how this works as this is the first time we've had someone potentially have the need to call upon it.  I *think* your first point of call should be to speak to our Claim Administrator (given that they will have instructed Revive to carry out the repair). You can reach them on 0191 258 8118 - explain that you're calling about a previously authorised repair over which you have concerns about the standard and quality.

Please let me know how you get on.

David