Oil warning Light

Lodestone

The oil warning light and associated buzzer is showing on my Fabia 1.4 Comfort

It comes on after the engine warms up

However, the engine oil is "full"  - and perhaps slightly overfilled

The car has done just 20K miles but is "old" with a Y Registration

I had a recent problem with the coolant light coming on, but this was because the radiator  plastic bottle needed topping up , and since topping up that indicator  has not since re-appeared - but the oil light has followed a day later - any connection ?

Any advice appreciated

Lodestone

It's an oil pressure warning not an oil level warning.

Is the engine noisier than normal?

Find your oil pressure switch and check whether oil is leaking through it.  Common failure especially on the 1.4 MPI engines, seemingly, is that what you have?

There's a how-to thread (for MPI) in the tech guides section if it is in need of replacement . That may also help you to locate it for checking purposes.

Wino

Thanks (You have helped me in the past)

The engine does not appear noisy

It is the 8 valve 1.4  MPI engine

I'll check tomorrow (its dark now)  to see if there is a leak - but no evidence  as such on the driveway

Is it OK to run the car re this oil pressure aspect - as I have to wait until my local garage has a free booking ?

Lodestone

A real oil pressure problem will generally make the top of the engine sound very clattery, shortly followed by major damage throughout, so I can't say it's OK to drive unless you can at least establish that it looks like the pressure switch may be leaking. 

When was the oil last changed?

It doesn't need to leak a lot before the switch is compromised internally, so no drips on the drive doesn't rule anything out.

Edited by Wino

I'm not saying that this is the case, but oil pressure switches have been know to fail internally giving a spurious low pressure warning. So for six quid I'd actually start by changing the switch unless the engine really sounds like a bag of spanners.

Oil was changed two months ago

I did put in afterwards some Halfords oil supplement which brought up the oil level on the dipstick at bit

Lodestone

Skoda manual he say " don't use any oil additives ". ( Same page as specifying the oil type to be used ).Useful things those makers manuals. :notme: