Looking to buy a Fabia VRS

Banning7

check it's got all the relevant documentation, service history, cambelt done and waterpump; basically all the normal stuff.

Awesome last three letters on the reg though; all the best MkI Fabias have that suffix :)

20160612_170853_zpsjfmapykh.jpg

I've looked at this car on Autotrader before and noticed a few things:

Dent in passenger side sill
Exhaust looks pretty wonky for standard?
Passenger rear light is pre-facelift, possibly smashed and replaced or maybe worse damage to that area?
Back bumper doesn't look like it's fitted quite right
Front bumper also doesn't look fitted properly either.

I'd be asking a lot of questions to see if there are genuine reasons behind it all

Thanks for the info, I did notice a few of those things I will be asking a lot of questions I have also done a hpi check it did have the all clear, so I'm going to have a look on the weekend hopefully it will be worthy enough to drive home

What's the number? I thought all the SEs had the number stamped into the seat leather? I can't see the number from the photo of the seat. That's not to say it isn't there, but it's always easier to track an SE from the number.

What's the number? I thought all the SEs had the number stamped into the seat leather? I can't see the number from the photo of the seat. That's not to say it isn't there, but it's always easier to track an SE from the number.

Yes totally agree. Most at some point have had some sort of history on here via the number so should be easy to trace. It's a lot of money to waste if you buy a lemon.

I have to be honest, looking at the pictures in high resolution on a big screen, I think this is a car to steer clear of. The rear bumper clearly has been repaired or is delaminating. The rear bumpers were always a glued together two-piece arrangement that was designed to make the car 1cm longer to allow Skoda to homologate the Fabia vRS WRC rally car which was actually the same as the old Octavia vRS WRC rally car underneath, hence it needed the road-going Fabia to be a bit longer. So the rear bumper could have been badly repaired by gluing the repair piece back on badly or it could be coming apart either as a result of a bad repair or someone using the wrong chemicals on the paintwork.

Add in the mis-matched indicators, the fact that the number plates have been replaced front and rear and the odd angle the exhaust trim is siting at and this looks like a car that's had a rear-end shunt.

The interior also doesn't look quite right.

Bear in mind that this car is pushing 10 years old and you'd have to say £4000 is a lot of money to hand over for a less than pristine example. Far better to seek out a £5000 near-perfect car if an SE is what you deeply, deeply, want. Because you're probably paying a £2500 premium for the blue paint and leather seats.

If it was me, I'd walk away from this one and find a black, silver, red or yellow one with xenon headlamps, ESP, heated seats for about £2500 and then spend £3000 making it perfect with Octavia brakes, Octavia 17" wheels, Eibach springs, Koni FSD shocks, uprated bushes all over and new leather seats if they float your boat. And I'd put another £1500 aside for a new clutch and turbo because that's about all that fails as the miles up. But that's just me. ;)

• Like 1

So glad I come to the forum before I went! Thanks for your help mate I'm just looking for a decent low sort of mileage Fabia, doesn't need to be an SE. If anyone knows of any decent ones for sale can you let me know!

• Like 1

I also have a decent VRS which will be for sale in a week or two as my new lease cupra 290 is on its way.  But not the mileage you are looking at (on 130k).  Problem with the cars and mileage you are looking at is that they will mostly be on original suspension, clutch / flywheel, and turbo and so quite possibly these are bills waiting for you.  I would much prefer a higher miler which has everything done and renewed.  Not a sales pitch but mine for instance has had new turbo, clutch, and suspension refresh, so unlikely to be big bills in the offing (engines good for high mileage if serviced well and regularly).  The bills related to mileage on these are all those items so I would be ignoring mileage personally.

Let me know if you want any more info on the car - it's modded (mapped, aftermarket suspension, rear ARB, sachs clutch, team dynamics pro race wheels) but as above has had clutch, turbo, suspension and cambelt not too long ago plus 10k oil changes all it's life.  Goodyear with loads of tread and new pads and discs 6 months ago.  Spare set of standard wheels with winters.  54 plate.  2200.

Good luck in the search.

Edited by nicknameless

Have you had a look at the mot history ? Which anyone can now view online.

Here for those who are unsure - you just need the reg number and make.

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history

Another option is here which just needs reg number.

http://www.ukvehicle.com/car-check/

Edited by KeithCheetham