Small front mount?

CoupesVRS

Does anyone know of a small front mount that will sit under the bumper bar? I don't see the point in having an intercooler that's half covered by the bumper bar and I wondered if anyone else has had the same thought, I've been looking around and possibly a t4 intercooler would be just the job! Has anyone else tried this?

Edited by CoupesVRS

Does anyone know of a small front mount that will sit under the bumper bar? I don't see the point in having an intercooler that's half covered by the bumper bar and I wondered if anyone else has had the same thought, I've been looking around and possibly a t4 intercooler would be just the job! Has anyone else tried this?

I can't think which brand of intercooler it is, but there is a front mount made that is half the size (height) of the generic Seat Sport style coolers. It's a single pass which means a 180° at the far end.

Don't forget that the part of the larger intercoolers covered by the crash bar / bumper aren't observe, they will still a lot of cooling.

JRJG

You don't see the point because you don't understand how they work, the intercooler acts as a heat sink during peak boost phases, it then dissipates this stored heat with the outside air during lower load conditions when it has time.

The larger the heat sink the better, irrespective of how much of it is actually exposed to the airstream.

• Like 2

You don't see the point because you don't understand how they work, the intercooler acts as a heat sink during peak boost phases, it then dissipates this stored heat with the outside air during lower load conditions when it has time.

The larger the heat sink the better, irrespective of how much of it is actually exposed to the airstream.

The standard radiator and condenser are also behind the crash bar and they don't struggle.

You'd have more chance of heatsoak though I'd have thought, whether that is a problem in this country I'd doubt but with direct airflow you could have the same cooling potential but with less surface area.

The standard radiator and condenser are also behind the crash bar and they don't struggle.

They also have a fan or two when they do struggle. Also water is more efficient at cooling than air.

Edited by theezenutz

You'd have more chance of heatsoak though I'd have thought, whether that is a problem in this country I'd doubt but with direct airflow you could have the same cooling potential but with less surface area.

All intercoolers can heatsoak of course, but it's much less of a problem on a diesel because it can't cause detonation like it can on your petrol Pulsar.

On a diesel you just lose a bit of power, so no big deal.

But loosing power is the reason for going front mount in the first place. Anyway the Seat cooler has been proven to work but you could theoretically replace it for a smaller one and still be ok as long as it has enough airflow.

But loosing power is the reason for going front mount in the first place. Anyway the Seat cooler has been proven to work but you could theoretically replace it for a smaller one and still be ok as long as it has enough airflow.

I'd rather have a bigger Intercooler with less airflow than a smaller one with more. That's the point I'm trying to get across.

Cheers for the feedback I've heard loads of horror stories about intercoolers rubbing through air con rads, if I have a shorter in height intercooler that wouldn't be a problem. Surely more consistent air flow through a smaller fmic would give more efficient, more consistent cooling along with reducing weight? Has anyone tried the forge universal fmic?

Maybe look into the mk2 intercoolers that run all the way along the bottom of the slam panel

I did look at them briefly but they're the same as on the Vw sharan I don't think they'd have enough cooling surface I was thinking more likely the intercooler off a t4 or possibly 1 of these http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/performance/intercoolers-kits/forge-universal-intercooler-port-type-7

Edited by CoupesVRS

Because bigger is better like everyone has said. Sure you could fit a 5 inch high one but it would probably be as efficient as the std sidemout (which has a decent supply of cooling air specially ducted to it ) I use water spray on my rally car and it still reaches Temps over 90° and is almost the size of the rad core. As said it's a heatsink so the more surface area the better it will work.

Not true a 5" high one sat at the front getting full airflow at velocity will out perform the standard one by a margin. The standard is a poor design put in a poor location.

On the pulsar as with any high performance turbo has a standard inter cooler but in this case it's sat on top of the engine and will get heatsoak very quickly so most go over to front mount, bigger area, full direct airflow but at a cost of slightly increased lag. However you can have the standard one re-cored that will perform as well as an average front mount.

Bigger may well be better but that does not mean a smaller won't work, it's not like a diesel runs as hot as petrol and most fabia's are low power relatively speaking.

Edited by theezenutz