Diesel engines fix recall

Blaven

?

What would it prove or disprove,

you are not monitoring fuel consumption or emissions or in gear on road performance performance while on a Dyno, and you will not know if there are more regens or the life expectancy of the hardware like the EGR / DPF changes.

Not monitoring the real world anymore than the EU Testing or Testing to approve 'The Fix'.

On road testing could have been done by the Motoring Magazines and Online Publishers like Piston Heads if the Media were not so much VW Group Fan Boys.

The UK Government are not that bothered on doing before and after 'The Fix' on the road testing on behalf of the public it seems, 

but then Tax Payers money is invested in the VW Group and the 'VW Group' seem to get given lots of slack.

Edited by Offski

On 19/02/2017 at 14:03, brownfox said:

Has anybody got a rolling road test before and after the fix.A donour car should have gone through perphaps aided by briskoda this would prove or disprove the fix

Here is my post with rolling road results from back in December 2016

On 22/12/2016 at 20:27, Quiksilver_TR said:

Had mine done 20/12/2016.

Had the car rolling roared before, straight after the dealers recall work and then had it re-mapped

C04564E2-D097-4AA0-8638-98A4D20C2FD5_zps

No performance change between before and after the "fix"

The guy mapping my car (Chris), said the files on the ECU were completely different layout and the things he was looking for to change etc weren't in the same places he expected them to be. Got there in the end though.

However, I didn't drive the car with the fix for more than a handful of miles so can't comment of long term performance or mpg etc

Also I'd only owned the car for 6months (mostly warm weather months) before having the recall done and then the map.

But since having the recall done I have noticed that it regens religiously every 500miles, this may be down to the recall, or the map or the cooler weather I don't know. Before the recall I hadn't noticed it do any regens but the weather was significantly warmer so it would more than likely be doing it on my short motorway commute, as where in the cooler weather it's struggling to get up to temperature in the same journeys to do it without me noticing.

So I can't 100% say that is or isn't due to the recall either.

As said though, the rolling road results don't give a true real world figure on what the recall work actually means for the car, it just proves or disproves the engines power/torque output.

• Like 1

Thanks for that, i agree the rolling road would not give the full picture,and i guess human nature being what it is would be looking for the slightest negative effect the fix would have caused/or not.

I sold my VRS Blackline at only 9.000 mls,a brilliant car.Reason being i could see the demise of the diesel/and future de valuation because of goverment decisions here and all over Europe banning/charging them for entering cities,and re setting of tax bands and i think this only the start of the assault on diesel vehicles,this after previous goverments had urged us to buy them.

Buying a diesel now unless its for a specific reason ie towing/big mileage is not a good idea,most manufacturers seems to recognise this,and are replacing them with smaller 1200 and1400cc turbo units. 

On 2/1/2017 at 11:58, jmattley said:

I had my VRS CR 170 done a couple of weeks back. I can't tell the difference to be honest. It might actually be slightly better on fuel by a couple of MPG. I almost wanted it to be rubbish to find an excuse for a pricey remap, but so far it seems fine! I also now have a wedding to save for, so no remap for me haha.

Any others with success stories?

Reading some horrors on the FB page :(

I had my VRS CR170 done last week at the same time as a service. 

To be honest I think it feels sluggish, but I'm putting that purely down to my expectation. My wife can't tell the difference. 

I'd say MPG has risen by 2 or so. 

But what it really comes down to is I got a free umbrella, mug, pen and trolley keyring thing. It can melt for all I care now, I can walk home in the rain now. 

• Like 1

Yet more people putting on here that their CR170 feels 'underpowered', 'sluggish', 'slow' etc, etc. This is EXACTLY why I'm keeping my stage 1 map on it and not letting the dealer go anywhere near it. Glad I made the decision. Why on earth would you bother?!?

53 minutes ago, LordRaiden84 said:

Yet more people putting on here that their CR170 feels 'underpowered', 'sluggish', 'slow' etc, etc. This is EXACTLY why I'm keeping my stage 1 map on it and not letting the dealer go anywhere near it. Glad I made the decision. Why on earth would you bother?!?

Exactly why I'm worried.

But will it have a negative effect on resale values?

And, I want a brolly :P

On 3/1/2017 at 09:11, Granite66 said:

Any others with success stories?

me a few pages back:

I had mine done a week ago, along with the MOT, and as a chance to check out the servicing department of a different dealership to my usual one.

all went fine, haven't spotted much of a difference in driving, and a tank seems to be lasting as long

As a "thank you for having the software update performed, and for your trouble" I was given an umbrella, and a goody bag with a pen, travel mug and keyring with trolley token.

It does feel obvious when you are in the wrong gear (eg slow down for traffic lights/ tight corner and try to head off in 3rd or 4th) but I'm not sure if that's anything to do with the "fix" or just me not driving properly recently :blush

6 weeks later, still no sign of anything untoward. And the brolly works.

• Like 1

230 miles mainly motorway,fair amount of 50 limit through roadworks! Brimmed tank then just brimmed again 11.8litres/2.6 gallons works out at 88mpg!!!!can hardly beleive it but checked and rechecked figures and thats what I get.All this post software update about 6 weeks ago

• Like 2