Diesel engines fix recall

Blaven

Gents, my last post may have come across as a bit hot headed or arrogant. It wasn't meant as such and agree completely, Skoda are simply carrying out instruction.

However, I feel my point still stands in the long journey to have it re-remapped is a huge inconvenience to me, not that VW will care.

What I would like to ask is, has anyone had a CR170 remapped 'before' this update/fix letter?

Do I have to request that they don't carry out the fix as per suggestion? Like I need a proof of refusal or something like if I ever come to sell it?

Only said friend again has quoted "Your car is already modified from standard with a remap - do nothing and ignore the letter".

Could someone kindly elaborate.

It is your car and if you do not want Software Updates or the VW Removal of the Defeat Device / Software and their 'Fix; just tell the place you are having it serviced at.

They can ask you to sign that you do not want it done.

You do not need anything when selling it, it will not have a Sticker in the Boot showing the 'Service Campaign;' as being done and there will be nothing showing it done 

on the VW Groups Computer Records,

The new keeper or even you can possibly get 'The Fix' done in the future as VW Group will be needing 'Scores on the doors', and as many vehicles done as possible.

Ah, just posted this on a new thread. Then stumbled across this. Searched for ea189, but this thread didn't show. Anyhow.......

Posted Today, 23:32

Had the recall action performed on my '11 VRS and, well it doesn't feel quite so gutsy. Also seems to be struggling in terms of MPG compared to what I'm used to (cold weather considered).

It also makes a peculiar hum that I'm not used to, which is slightly infuriating.

Has anyone seen or got any rolling road readouts pre and post recall to see exactly what the differences are?

I searched for another thread on this, but couldn't find one that had been updated recently. If someone can point me in the direction of the right thread (I'm sure I'm not the only one curious) or could enlighten me on what exactly they've done (in English) I'd be most appreciative.

Oh and happy new year everyone.

Egg1000, take a look at page 4 of this thread post number #95, Quiksilver_TR has posted a before and after rolling road printout.

I have just had my 2010 vrs done yesterday and my initial thoughts are that I can't tell any difference, however I have only driven from the dealers to home, I will post again after a full week of driving my usual routes next week.

• Like 1

Egg1000, take a look at page 4 of this thread post number #95, Quiksilver_TR has posted a before and after rolling road printout.

I have just had my 2010 vrs done yesterday and my initial thoughts are that I can't tell any difference, however I have only driven from the dealers to home, I will post again after a full week of driving my usual routes next week.

Thank you. Exactly what I was looking for. Looks like when you're driving normally, below 2.5k revs there's about a 5% drop in power. Nice one VAG.

Edited by Egg1000

Had mine done 20/12/2016.

Had the car rolling roared before, straight after the dealers recall work and then had it re-mappedC04564E2-D097-4AA0-8638-98A4D20C2FD5_zps

No performance change between before and after the "fix"

The guy mapping my car (Chris), said the files on the ECU were completely different layout and the things he was looking for to change etc weren't in the same places he expected them to be. Got there in the end though.

Any chance I could get a hi res version of this please? Thanks

• Like 1

Thank you. Exactly what I was looking for. Looks like when you're driving normally, below 2.5k revs there's about a 5% drop in power. Nice one VAG.

You shouldnt notice a 5% drop performance as you only really notice on average an 10% increase when modifying. It will take about 100 miles for the map to fully adjust so I would give it time to settle.

Thanks for the reply Offski. Well, moving forward I have decided to request the 'no fix' option.

Whilst I'm at it, I'm gutted to hear peoples experiences regarding a loss of power, particulary in the low range. I feel as if the consumer is being penalised and their overall enjoyment of the car is now affected.

However, more people need to come forward if this is indeed the case. Are VAG being dishonest yet again and hiding information from joe public?

My brother has just had his VRS Cr170 Blackline updated Says it is gutless now and feels like it is struggling to pick up. He's already been in touch with dealer who can't get him booked back in for 2 weeks and pretty much not interested. I've told him to try and get some miles on it to see if it changes and if it doesn't to get back to dealer and kick off until it is sorted out as he'd only bought it from them 3 months ago.

I really don't get why people are risking it.

Not having it done = no risk.

Having it done = more than no risk!

Just fill in the form and forget about the whole mess...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/403828-just-refused-the-vag-emissions-recall/

That was going to be my approach but dealer did the update anyway! However, I've not noticed any difference other than the car seems to pull better!

• Like 1

I have 'chipped' in a couple of times earlier. As I have the standard 140 unit in my car, it may present a different scenario to the VRs versions which most people posting here seem to have.

Initially, for the first tank full I was panicking as the results were so bad in terms of economy. I contacted the garage and they said that the work had been carried out properly but rather than reassuring me that it needed time for the mapping to bed in simply said I would have to pay for any investigation work. So I went away, but the problems have not.

I think 3000 miles of motoring in various load and temperature conditions allows me to speak with some authority on the car's performance. 

Checking tank to tank, I am now getting 50-53mpg. Before I was 55-58. The incredibly optimistic in car display shows I am now getting below 60, previously 62-64 So both are showing an increase in fuel consumption. Low temperature seems to affect the performance as the display showed less than 50 on the 27th when I was driving my usual route of about 35 miles in -1 to -3 deg where I would normally see 59-62.

The characteristics of the engine have changed too as mentioned in my previous post, less flexible when climbing hills and trying to drive economically.

There seem to be further moves in the press to hold VWs feet to the fire but it has taken a long time to start this process. In the meanwhile, VW and Skoda, etc have a huge task trying to carry out their remap so those who refuse can probably avoid sanctions for some time. However, the DVLA only have to introduce a rule that non remapped cars will not get an MOT to bring us to heel.

Happy new year!

I drove my brothers car yesterday and did a back to back with mine, which is the same engine but without the update. Although mine is a DSG and my brothers manual it was clearly evident that below 2500rpm his was well down on torque, above that not much difference if any but these are diesels not petrol so driving around higher up in the rev range is pointless.

He's now on his 2nd tank of fuel and although the weather has warmed up the onboard mpg is down by 6mpg. He is rightly angry as he got the car to his caravan and with such a drop in torque thinks it's going to be a lemon now.

Edited by CWARD
  • Like 1

However, the DVLA only have to introduce a rule that non remapped cars will not get an MOT to bring us to heel.

Happy new year!

OTOH, for that to happen the DVLA will first have to come up with a way of proving engine software builds.

I drove my brothers car yesterday and did a back to back with mine, which is the same engine but without the update. Although mine is a DSG and my brothers manual it was clearly evident that below 2500rpm his was well down on torque, above that not much difference if any but these are diesels not petrol so driving around higher up in the rev range is pointless.

He's now on his 2nd tank of fuel and although the weather has warmed up the onboard mpg is down by 6mpg. He is rightly angry as he got the car to his caravan and with such a drop in torque thinks it's going to be a lemon now.

Yup, I've just driven back home from Anglesey, a journey we've done hundreds of times and always got around 50-54mpg. 

I've driven like a saint and struggled to get 46Mpg. 

I feel cheated. 

Going to contact Mitchell Skoda E.port to ask if they'll reverse the work. 

The rolling road graph shows the car under full throttle conditions. The torque and power graph for part throttle or normal driving will be massively different. It would be interesting to find out if they have altered the throttle map at all. Giving the car a more linear pick up and more accurate running. I know as std you are nearly at 75% throttle with only a short push of the pedal.

My dads 170bhp mondeo only gets about 46mpg so it makes you wonder also if they have updated the accuracy of the mpg. I suppose the only way to find out is to do the brim to brim fill and work it out it out manually. We all know the trip mpg figures shown on the car are massaged somewhat.

Edited by Ecomatt

The rolling road graph shows the car under full throttle conditions. The torque and power graph for part throttle or normal driving will be massively different. It would be interesting to find out if they have altered the throttle map at all. Giving the car a more linear pick up and more accurate running. I know as std you are nearly at 75% throttle with only a short push of the pedal.

My dads 170bhp mondeo only gets about 46mpg so it makes you wonder also if they have updated the accuracy of the mpg. I suppose the only way to find out is to do the brim to brim fill and work it out it out manually. We all know the trip mpg figures shown on the car are massaged somewhat.

I've been trying to point this out for quite a while now...

• Like 1

And doesn't show the full story for a diesel anyway; you also need the before and after Specific Fuel Consumption graphs.

After a few fuel refills since the 'fix' my average mpg doesn't seem affected. Still getting between 47-49 mpg based on manual calculation.

This is all very interesting stuff. My MOT is booked in tomorrow first thing with a Skoda dealer and I have received the emissions fix letter. I am not going to mention it to them and if they fix it without my permission I will consider taking action against them. Car is remapped and a friend basically advised it is not a legal requirement to have it fixed. Why should I travel all the way to Mansfield at my own expense to have it re-remapped again?

I seriously don't see the point unless someone can provided concrete evidence my car will be better after the fix.

Hi, im in the same situation, can you please advise if the fix has been done and if you have notice any changes to your car performance? Regards

Can I ask what MPG you get after the remap.

I'd love to get mine done but fuel economy is as important to me as power.

I have the same engine a CR 170 VRS .

thanks in advance.

just to put some in I have 170/350 remapped to 205/425 , on M1 from M25 up to Leicester sticking with speed limits and I can hit 75mpg! usually 68, bear in mind 225 wide tyres...I think is quiet good :)