Map upgrade - insufficient space on SD card

Having recently taken delivery on a 14 plate vrs, I thought I'd update the maps.  never bothered with the Columbus in my mk2, so this is all uncharted territory for me.

Popped in the VIN, and downloaded a zip file from the Skoda site, and then told it to unzip to the Skoda SD card which was in the car, however it said "not enough space" and then "delete files"  I replied yes, but nothing happened.

I've since ordered a 32GB SD card, can I just install the new maps onto the card and will it work?  Guess I'll be going through this process again shortly as there the second yearly updates of maps will be coming along shortly according to the website.

Thanks.

Hi,

The maps will only work on the original Skoda card. If you delete all the files off the card and then unzip the contents of the file you downloaded and copy these files to the card all will be good.

This will work OK on a windows PC if using a Mac you will have problems and will have to wait for one of the other members who knows what to do.

John

PC user.... I took an img32 image of the SD card before I started incase anything went wonky, so happy to delete and try again.  Cheers.

I'm in Wiltshire for work (Amesbury)

Sorted - the 'lock' switch has been enabled, so that explains why it wasn't able to delete stuff from the card when I previously ask it to!  First time I have ever seen that switch be used!

I did the update using a SanDisk 32GB sd card, no problems, so no need for the original. Funny, when I bought the car a few days ago, the dealer said I may have to pay £300 to get them to update the maps ! Lol, I don't think so

Do you have Amundsen or Columbus?

From what I've read on here, Amundsen needs an original Skoda SD card, but Columbus can use any SD card.

Do you have Amundsen or Columbus?

From what I've read on here, Amundsen needs an original Skoda SD card, but Columbus can use any SD card.

On the Columbus the files are copied on to harddrive, so the card (any card or usb stick) is only needed during the update. Edited by Gromle

Hi Everyone,

So my question is? On Amundsen: (Skoda Octavia Sout 16)

Should we format the original Skoda SD Card and then copy the downloaded files? ( I'm really afraid of formating the original SD Card!!!)

Sorry for the dumb question, but I'm about to do a 2000km trip and didn't want to loose the maps before it :)

Warm Regards

Why not copy the content onto your laptop or pc to back it up ? If you then decide to format it and copy new maps into it you haven't lost the old maps ! :-)

The update instructions say first copy the files off the Skoda sd card (as a backup), then delete the files off the card and copy the new files into the card.

No need to format it.

Edited by trundlenut
  • Like 1

Thanks a million for the replies!

Will do that..... Now just have to wait  5 1/2 hours for the download to my pc.... OMG!   12GB

By the way, went to the navigation system information menu on the car and said maps ECE 2016.  On the upload portal it said download available for ECE 2016/2017. Do you guys think it is the same??

Thanks a million for the replies!

Will do that..... Now just have to wait 5 1/2 hours for the download to my pc.... OMG! 12GB

By the way, went to the navigation system information menu on the car and said maps ECE 2016. On the upload portal it said download available for ECE 2016/2017. Do you guys think it is the same??

When I updated mine about two weeks ago, the website said it was an older version than you actually then could downloaded.

ECE 2016/2017 are the latest maps. ECE 2016 were the previous maps.

And according to the update protal another new set of maps will become available next month.

The last update was in June 2016, the next update is scheduled for November 2016.

Thanks a lot for sharing your knowledge!

I'm trying it now with an extra SD Card and leaving the original one if something doesn't go right! Firs try was a no go! This time I'm just copying the files named map. Will try again

Sorry Guys, by the way, did anyone was lucky enough to load de POI's Danger Zones (aka radars) on to the Amundsen?

Cheers

Do you guys thin it can be from the just newly bought SD Card (Micro SDHC UHS-I Card with adapter 32GB 80MB/s)?

With the Amundsen you MUST use a genuine Skoda SD card - they contain hidden data (which isn't deleted by formatting the card) that is required.

Bingo, Eureka!!!! As simple as that!

Thank you so much everyone guys, specially PetrolDave.

Indeed with the Skoda original SD Card it goes like a feather!!!

Maybe that's the reason why we can not upload the POI's danger Zones! I will not mess again now, just using my old garmin to help me out with the radars on my 2000km trip.

Thank you so much again eveyone.