Suitable ground point on passenger side?

Hi all,

First apologies if this has been already covered, i have searched the forum but i am still a bit unsure about this and i am hoping someone may be able to answer this for me.

I am planning an install of an under floor sub (Kenwood KSC-SW11) in my Mk2 Vrs. It won't fit well under the drivers seat but it fits under the passenger seat like it was made for it.

Now the supplied ground wire is fairly short so i am looking for a suitable ground point on the passenger side. i have taken off the side panel between the door and dash board passenger side.

Would the bolt shown in the attached image (the one with the yellow paint) serve as a suitable ground)?

post-122324-0-49070300-1476466521_thumb.jpg

Edited by djbarnat

Yes it will - I have used this very point myself on 3 different Octavias now.

Mike

Mike - thanks for the confirmation puts my mind at ease know this has been used before - much appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...

Now by a very happy coincidence I have just bought exactly this same sub to go into my Octy Mk2 as well!!

Would you have any advice for me on the fitting of it? I plan to do exactly the same and install under the passenger seat.

Pictures would be awesome if you have any!!

yes. You use the speaker output to an rca converter. If you look around you can get RCA converters which use the voltage in the speaker cable to turn it into a remote for the sub so you dont need to worry about getting a fuse tap for the fuse box

• 7 months later...

I'm trying to fit a sub to my 2007 vrs as well. Can anyone advise where exactly to tap into the speaker wires and what color they are? I already ran the power wire from the battery, together with the remote turn-on wire on the left side of the car, side by side with the regular car wires, had to take off the step panels, b-pillar panel and the rear bench, so I'm ok with doing it again on the opposite side of the car. My problems are:

1. I suppose that since the octy's rear speakers are in the rear doors, the speaker wires don't run further back, so I'd have to tap into them near the b-pillar?

2. What color are the speaker wires or how can i identify them in the bunch of wires that runs under the step panels?

Thanks!

l.e.: i want to tap into the speaker wires because i have a mfd2 head unit which doesn't have rca outs; i do have a line output converter

Edited by jmf

I guess for the remote you are using a switched live in the fuse box?

The speaker wires run into the rear door from the main loom but as you rightly assume, they dont go further back.

If you remove the door card you can identify the cable colours as where the cabled plug into the speaker is not in the back of the speaker, its at the front on the mounting point so clearly visible

Yes, I'm planning to wire the remote to a fuse, the cable is already there just didn't hook it up yet.

Great idea about taking the door card off! Why didn't I think of that :D

Final question: is it worth tapping into BOTH left+right speaker wires close to the head-unit instead of just one door speaker? I.e. will it make a difference in the signal? Or is the door speaker fine?