New Car - DSG problems or just me?

Hi

We took delivery of a new Octavia Scout 184 dsg last week.  Sometimes when driving the DSG box wont change up until about 3500 rpm.  Car is in normal mode, not in manual mode and normal has been set in the car settings.

It has only done it twice, once on day one and after a switch off it was ok.  It did it again yesterday and was like that for 11 miles from cold start to home.  Started with a bit of stop start traffic in town and then open roads.  Again after switch off it was fine. 

It was actually my wife driving both times and she swears box was in normal auto mode.

Is this the start of more issues to come? 

As above. Mistakenly pulling back on the stick and putting the gearbox into sport? that would be my bet, it only takes a small nudge. Resets to 'D' on start. When it does this does it say S1 (2,3,4,5,6) or D1 (2,3,4,5,6) in the maxi-dot??

I think you are putting the gearbox into sport mode (D/S) as opposed to changing the DRIVE mode (normal/sport/eco)

I think you are putting the gearbox into sport mode (D/S) as opposed to changing the DRIVE mode (normal/sport/eco)

I cant see how ths can be done accidentally, on mine you can't go straight into Sport from Park, you can pull it all the way back into the Sport position but his just puts it into Drive, then you have to pull back again for Sport....

I cant see how ths can be done accidentally, on mine you can't go straight into Sport from Park, you can pull it all the way back into the Sport position but his just puts it into Drive, then you have to pull back again for Sport....

Well I have not done it accidentally either but it was the answer to this OP's question.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/412616-going-into-sport-mode-without-being-asked-to/?p=4721064

Didn't say it went into sport from park, just it could be nudged into sport soon after.

I guess it would be easy enough to knock it again and put it into sport.

Something I don't like about the new DSG levers. They should have kept it as a separate selector position requiring the button to be pressed IMO.

• Like 1

it's quite easy if you are one of the drivers going from a manual to DSG, and drive with a hand on the gear lever from time to time.

It doesn't take too much of a nudge to go to sport, or vice versa.

Er, I know, coz that's what I did for a while after getting the DSG :-)

• Like 1

My wife is adamant that the car was not in manual or sport mode, because the first time it happenned that was my thought too.

​Driving mode default is normal and I haven't shown her how to switch to sport mode yet.

I think the OP may be confused between the modes selected by the vRS button and the ability to change the DSG mode by pulling back the lever when already in D.

Although the vRS mode button will change the DSG mode as part of each 'profile', this can be overridden or changed independently by pulling the lever back when already in D, without needing to move the lever left into manual.

Another possibility is if the steering wheel paddles are used, they will temporarily cause the DSG to be in manual mode, reverting after a short while.

Next time it happens, just look at the gear indicator number on your central display on your dashboard.

If the cars been knocked into sport mode by pushing the gear selector backwards from the D position, then the gear numbers will have an S in front of it instead of a D or an E.

S1, S2, S3 etc.

Next time it happens, just look at the gear indicator number on your central display on your dashboard.

If the cars been knocked into sport mode by pushing the gear selector backwards from the D position, then the gear numbers will have an S in front of it instead of a D or an E.

S1, S2, S3 etc.

Also if you're in D", and then you use the paddles, it just shows 1, 2, 3, etc, with no letter in front. I sometime use it to force an upchange at lowish urban speeds - e.g. 30 mph.

Its a Scout, no VRS button and no paddles

'VRS button' = 'MODE button' on everything else.

My wife is adamant that the car was not in manual or sport mode, because the first time it happenned that was my thought too.

​Driving mode default is normal and I haven't shown her how to switch to sport mode yet.

That is not the 'sport mode' we are talking about. There are two. That is the car 'drive mode' not the gearbox 'mode' they do different things.

I can think of three reasons it will hold gears to 3500rpm

1. The gear lever has been knocked back putting the gearbox into 'S' (most likely IMHO)

2. You are going up a steep hill (the DSG holds on to gears up hills just like you would in a manual) (less likely IMHO as I have not had mine hold it to 3500 up a hill)

3. You have a fault. (unlikely, given the above, but possible none the less, again IMHO)

If you are certain it is not 1. or 2. then I would get it checked by a dealer