Suspension Rattle / Dull Thud over uneven surfaces ?

5 hours ago, Baverhanne said:

Had a very nice drive home today - not a single noise from suspension when rushing over potholes and other stuff that made the car rattle or "thump" before. What a joy to drive :) completely silent and very good contact with the road!

Happy to hear that! I hope its a permanent fix!
I'm still waiting for time/response from my dealer. They take a lot of time here. Meanwhile my Superb hates me and just developed another rattle in passenger door, very very annoying...

• Sad 1

• 2 months later...
On 22/10/2016 at 15:21, RickTT said:

Suspension Rattle / Dull Thud over uneven surfaces ?

SE business 2.0tdi - 150 - Manual gearbox.

Im finding i can hear a dull thud type of sound travelling over uneven or cobbled surfaces coming from possible the front nearside. 

What i have found the sound can be heard best in neutral or clutch in to limit the amount of cabin noise.

It sounds a bit like when a lower arm joint is worn which sends the noise through the car.

Has anyone else experienced it ?

Now that you mention this yeah i think i have on my sportline. I think this is the same issue as my gripe of suspension bouncing and lack of dampening.

3 minutes ago, jrgmiles said:

Now that you mention this yeah i think i have on my sportline. I think this is the same issue as my gripe of suspension bouncing and lack of dampening.

Theres a technical bulletin to fix this for my 2016 car - it did fix it, though the temp increased which on mine only occurred when cold.

On 05/04/2018 at 15:50, Baverhanne said:

New damper mounted. Excited to pick it up from workshop. Must have taken 4-5 hours in total... Had a crappy Clio Tce as loaner that made me realise what a good car the Superb is!

Hi 

So you have had this issue fixed by Skoda? I'm sure i have this issue on my new car it feel crashy and rattly and bouncing on bumps and not dampening or absorbing the impact correctly.

1 minute ago, RickTT said:

Theres a technical bulletin to fix this for my 2016 car - it did fix it, though the temp increased which on mine only occurred when cold.

What do you mean regarding the temperature?  Do you have a link to the technical bulletin or anything? Anyway email to Skoda being written !!

WIth mine, the noise of the suspension was noticalbe when it was 0'c or less and dry. , (ie like a dry joint) .

I dont have any details of the TB, but it was a strip down of the lower arms and a re-grease to resolve.

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

My car has been silent since they changed the damper.

Yes Skoda changed it under warranty.

I have a new noise from the front that isn't linked to temperature.

Over one specific speed bump a snapping sound comes from somewhere underneath or in the engine bay.

Skodas technician had no problem reproducing the sound over and over again but asked if I was ok with driving the car until it becomes more obvious where the sound comes from. Doesn't matter for me as it is a company car and it only "snaps" twice per day. If it would have been my own car I would never accepted it.

Mine sounds weird lately it gotten worse. They used lubrication on front bushings and also replaced them once but that sound has never gone away. Car is now year and 4 months old... 
P.S.: There are 2 "noises" the knocking one comes bit later. Also I don't think these 2 noises are coming from the same part of the suspension, just a feeling. You will have to turn up volume, the mic doesn't record noise well. In real life its pretty loud. 

Edited by JackySi
  • Like 1

The squeaking noise is definitely bushings - had that exact same noise on a Roomster. Always got quiet after a good spray of 5-56 or something similar straight on the bushing.

If I remember correctly it was the control arms rear bushing that made the noise on the roomster.

Couldn't hear the knocking though?

20190108_172255.jpg

1 hour ago, Baverhanne said:

The squeaking noise is definitely bushings - had that exact same noise on a Roomster. Always got quiet after a good spray of 5-56 or something similar straight on the bushing.

If I remember correctly it was the control arms rear bushing that made the noise on the roomster.

Couldn't hear the knocking though?

20190108_172255.jpg

I had issue with bushings since I bought the car. They replaced them once and oiled them like every time. The issue always persisted. I've had this 2 months after I bought the car meaning its been going on for 1 year and 2 months at least now. Got 40.000km on clock now. I got used to it (all though I should have NOT for 37 grand car - EUR) lucky its only auditable on the bumps like speed bumps. Knocking issue however is getting really annoying cause its every where... I'm going on 14th to fix my rear bearing and right side alloys (accident with curb) and I will ask them to fix knocking sound, leaking coolant, passenger side headrest (it has clicking sound and doesn't seem as stable as driver side) and steering wheel heating sensor.

Edited by JackySi
  • Thanks 1

I'm mostly annoyed about the superbs roadhandling feels worse then my XC70, doesn't matter what mode I use on the superb it always feels like XC70 has superior control of the wheels. Superb is more fun to drive and on even roads it's a lot faster but when it comes to uneven road like old gravelroads it doesn't stand a chance against the XC70.

• 9 months later...
On 14/06/2017 at 10:23, MartiniB said:

in case Škoda can't find reason of rattles in more than 10 attempts

i have made visit to independent service - Volkswagen dealer "Moller Auto Krasta"

they told problem sounds exactly same as they have heard with Passats 2015 until shock absorbers
3Q0413031BE PR-G09
were replaced by
3Q0413031BE PR-G06;G11

i have found also confirmation in public documents:
http://www.realoem.me/Volkswagen/BR/PA/2016/793/R/4/411/411010

interesting ..BE PR-G09 still in use for Superbs, and there any word about recall
http://www.realoem.me/Skoda/CZ/SUP/2016/851/R/4/411/411011

but my car got another
3Q0413031AK PR-G04
there also any word about recall or possible replacement
http://www.realoem.me/Skoda/CZ/SUP/2016/851/R/4/411/411010

dealer rejected replacement cause rattles aren't problem and no leaks detected

Hello guys , 

Did you found a permanent solution for the noisy front suspension ? 

Thanks in advance . 

Alex

8 minutes ago, philipz said:

it has both the rattle / dull noise  , and the creaking noise from the front suspension  . 

Did you guys found a permanent solution ? 

first and second isn't gone also after replace(warranty) both front shocks and twice replaced(warranty) steering rack

third were solved after replaced(€€€) 5Q0407183E by 5Q0407183F (from Audi S3)

few pictures: https://www.drive2.ru/l/542415200456803479/

5 hours ago, MartiniB said:

first and second isn't gone also after replace(warranty) both front shocks and twice replaced(warranty) steering rack

third were solved after replaced(€€€) 5Q0407183E by 5Q0407183F (from Audi S3)

few pictures: https://www.drive2.ru/l/542415200456803479/

Just to make it clear -   the rattling noises from the front are not cured even with shock absorbers and rack replacement ? 

Putting this part from S3 : 5Q0407183F  , solved what exactly ? 

Sorry for the stupid questions . 

And if nothing cures the noises from the front , what else can we do ?  Besides selling the car . 😞

What should I tell my dealer to focus on ? Im almost certain that my noise comes from the front left wheel . 

8 hours ago, philipz said:

Just to make it clear -   the rattling noises from the front are not cured even with shock absorbers and rack replacement ? 

they become less noticeable
can hear only when selecting sport on DCC suspension

8 hours ago, philipz said:

Putting this part from S3 : 5Q0407183F  , solved what exactly ? 

Squeaking/Creaking Noise

9 hours ago, MartiniB said:

they become less noticeable
can hear only when selecting sport on DCC suspension

Squeaking/Creaking Noise

Martin , do you know if any recalls are made for this problem with the faulty shock absorbers ( most probably they are to blame for this ) .  ? 

What should I tell my dealer , cause last time they told me -  these are normal noises from the suspension .  

I really don`t think that they are . 

13 hours ago, philipz said:

these are normal noises from the suspension

i know this answer :)

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/414829-suspension-rattle-dull-thud-over-uneven-surfaces/page/3/?tab=comments#comment-4988489

they even agreed Octavias haven't such problem, but for Superbs that's standard 😞
noticed after few never ending test drives
https://www.drive2.ru/l/525705647371584356/

https://www.drive2.ru/l/529576203179263891/

https://www.drive2.ru/l/524661111325198122/

16 minutes ago, MartiniB said:

So , theyve replied to you that this is normal for superb as well .

And also there is no official recall about this issue , is that what youre saying ?

So how did you convince them to swap both shocks and rack then ?

Cause i need to convince them as well .

53 minutes ago, philipz said:

So how did you convince them to swap both shocks and rack then ?

have no idea, just ~10 attempts were enough :)
collected links from forums and also asked for solutions versions on side, in VW official service

steering rack were replaced on 21k Km and after another 45k Km
front shocks on 42k and 47k Km