Cruise control on SE - retro fit.

Afternoon all. Long time member but haven't posted recently. After 2 very happy years driving the Rapid Spaceback, we're now looking to change to a SE spec Fabia (around 6 months old). I know that cruise control is not standard on this model, but just want to be 100% sure whether it can or cannot be retrofitted. I did read a forum post from about 12 months ago, but am not sure I read it correctly. Many thanks.

I think those kits listed are only if you don't have the stalk fitted

It could even be something as straight forward as a software update if the stalk is fitted

Do you have the stalk fitted??

I can talk to a friend of a friend who runs a tps branch

I think those kits listed are only if you don't have the stalk fitted

It could even be something as straight forward as a software update if the stalk is fitted

Do you have the stalk fitted??

I can talk to a friend of a friend who runs a tps branch

Many thanks for all replies - much appreciated. At least I now know that cruise can be retrofitted, albeit (probably) at a high (unrealistic??) cost.

Malcster - not yet bought the car, so can't answer the question about the stalk being fitted. Thanks for the offer, though.

Looks like a colour edition is probably the way to go then, but very few used/6 month old versions around at the moment.

Thanks again.

Edited by ted1888

I'd see if Skoda can offer a retrofit kit for your car first as it's not as black and white as it used to be.

Part number 6V0054691

I linked to a genuine ŠKODA kit here's the blurb

It outlines the additional programme module required that seems more and more apparent on these fabias along with voice control and fatigue sensor

Product details:

Fabia Active III (NJ), Rapid (NH) from KW 22/2015 (MJ16)

Not for Fabia III / III Fabia Combi with "Speed ​​Limiter".

Suitable for all engine versions.

Only suitable for vehicles with MFA / board computer.

The cruise control system is used to hold the speed from min. 30 km / h.

Operation is user friendly through a cradle switch.

Assembly exclusively through authorized Skoda service partner can perform!

Characteristics:

The kit includes the operating lever and the cable set.

It needs an additional activation software by part number. be ordered 5E0054800 (Fabia III and Rapid)!

The cruise control system is functionally identical with the special equipment, which is mounted directly in the series (PR Code 8T2)

Please note that the cruise control system should only be mounted on vehicles with German specifications. On vehicles with other countries specification other BCM control equipment may be installed, with which the action codes are not compatible!

For vehicles where the on-board computer is controlled via the multifunction steering wheel, must when retrofitting a cruise control system in addition to the steering column combination switch for vehicles. Be ordered without board computer from ETKA.

Note:

If the vehicle has the BCM control unit Part Number 6C0.937.085 installed, then from the spare parts catalog "ETKA" BCM control unit of the higher series, Part Number: to 6C0.937.089 order.

If the vehicle has the BCM control unit Part Number 6C0.937.087, 6C0.937.089, 6C0.937.090 (Kessy) installed, then the BCM control unit can not be replaced

Edited by malcster

Yes but that kit needs to be available through the uk dealer network, if it's not then there's no installation support from the technical department, no activation codes and the high possibility that it won't work.

More and more items are on the SWAP accessories list and whilst kits might be available on the internet that doesn't mean they are supported or are compatible across the range.

The process also requires online activation and PR code updates that can't currently be carried out by anyone apart from the dealer.

Many thanks for all replies. This whole issue looks to be far from straightforward. I think there is a simple answer here - if cruise control is important, then I must make sure that it's already fitted which means a colour edition or SEL, if I'm not in a position to buy new. Grateful to all who have contributed to this thread.

• Like 1

Additionally, post #9 says the kit is not compatible with Fabias fitted with a speed limiter, which is standard on UK SE and above models.

It was pointing to the the solution that kits are available depending on vehicle spec and to check with a UK retailer for exact fitment

The days of buying a kufatec loom and switch and vcds are long gone

• 3 weeks later...

since the speed control does just that, regardless of accelerator setting, It sounds more like marketing bullsh*t to me.  Surely, all the cruise needs to do is send a full accelerator signal to the car and let the speed limiter control the speed?  make the brake pedal disable the limiter and stop sending the signal and thats all the cruise control does isn't it?

According to the current accessories brochure, cruise can be retrofitted. It's listed as being 'from £330'.

http://www.skoda.co.uk/SiteCollectionDocuments/Brochures/Accessories_brochure_WEB_July_2015.pdf#page=1

It's certainly worth asking the dealer about it. TBH I've not missed cruise as much as I thought I would- the limiter does nearly as good a job on the motorway in clear conditions, and a better job when it's more busy and in the hateful 50 mph sections, and is far superior around town.