spare wheel well size

tmg

hey

so i wanted to replace the dreadful spacesaver thing that passes for a spare wheel here (ireland), and I acquired a phoenix 19 from a member here to match my own set.

question: when I tried to fit the wheel into the wheel well, it didnt go. there is a piece of plastic valence inside the boot lid which hits the 19" and also overall it appears to be a tad tight

a question then - does anyone have a 19" wheel fitted as a spare? is it possible?

cheers

t.

(I ask as we do regular long journeys, and would prefer to have a proper spare wheel that can handle 130 kph vs. a training wheel that cant) 

does anyone have a 19" wheel fitted as a spare? is it possible?

No a full size wheel will not fit in the boot correctly.

The maximum width of tyre that will fit under the carpet is a 205 (hence the ‘space saver’).

If it’s anything like the MKII then you need to put the tyre under the plastic valance before dropping it down fully (so put the tyre in nearest to you before dropping the front edge down... yes it’s a faff!) but then you still need to lift the boot carpet up another 30mm all round.

How did if 190 tdi or 280 petrol that cant have 16"

They have the factory 18 inch rim space saver version

Edited by RickTT

190 TDi is fine with a 205/55/16” spare

220 & 280 TSi need the 18” skinny space saver

I'm pretty sure my 220 TSI has a full size spare (205/55/16) not a space saver, I'll check later...