xenon lights whilst cornering ? can they move .........

My dealer promised me cornering xenon lights ( so he could sell me a nice option pack ) on my my16 tdi estate .

Ofcourse when the car got delivered we had a bright sunnuy day , so no possibility to check.

Now i have noticed ( well already some tome ago ) there is NO movement whilst cornering , only those irritating foglights  .

At engine start is see the xenons move up/down and left/right quite a serious amount .

Can this be activated to get xenon cornering lights ??

That's weird. My AFS (i.e. moving with steering) bi-xenons do their thing whether the switch is on Auto or On...

But they don't move at all if the Driving Mode is set on Eco. Perhaps that's what's preventing yours from moving? (If you set the AFS lights to Sport - in the Driving Mode settings on your infotainment - they move loads, so it's easier to check that they're working that way.)

I have my Driving Mode set to Individual, so I can still have moving AFS lights while using 'eco' air-con etc. :)

The beam also lowers when you're approaching a junction and left-right through traffic and around bends. It's pretty nifty. You'll have to be watching for it, though, or you won't see it :)

- Bret

• 2 weeks later...

Hi forum ,

i have been watching the beam behaviour and indeed when on "auto " and with the afs activated there is some slight movement noticable ( certainly not what i was expecting from adaptive headlight movement )  .

Next question will be  ,

Has anyone tried to get this function whilst in "on" mode ??

does vcds has possibilities for that ??

nitro2

( certainly not what i was expecting from adaptive headlight movement )

Have you tried it in Sport mode as per the advice of our progressive crustacean?  Much more noticeable then - and possibly still my favourite toy.

Gaz

• 1 month later...

Here's a post (scroll down to no 117) with a YouTube clip of my xenons which follow steering wheel movements - have my car in sport and auto lights on 95% of the time

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/402088-vrs-tdi-so-far/?p=4683940

Edited by ToffeeMRD

saw this afternoon that this is a problem if you're on snow and having to correct. First - at low speed, the lights get dipped lower (so around 60km/h). I don't need to see the 10m in front of me, I'd rather they be higher, thanks. 

Second, they're moving according to the wheel, so when I've got a quarter-turn of lock on to go straight, they're pointing already somewhere else... and it got annoying after a few. For a while I was enjoying the movement but as things got faster and slipperier... nope. 

- Bret

The beam also lowers when you're approaching a junction and left-right through traffic and around bends. It's pretty nifty. You'll have to be watching for it, though, or you won't see it :)

- Bret

interesting, I've never seen this! Will keep an eye out for it. Is there a speed above which AFS stops working?

Below about 60 it drops the beams. Below about 20 it widens the lights (for cornering in town). I've not seen it stop when going faster, but by the time you're doing 80km/h or so, the effect is massively diminished anyway. Apparently, according to the German handbook, at >120km/h, light is moved up and focussed in the distance. I've not been able to drive mine in the dark at that speed yet... 

Info video from Hella on the subject: 

- Bret

Apparently, according to the German handbook, at >120km/h, light is moved up and focussed in the distance.

- Bret

It does do that :) I get it all the time between Tampere and Helsinki - quite handy, since there is not so much need for high beams then.

• 1 year later...

unfortunately , 

even my dealer can't make this work in "on " , should be a piece of cake as the settings are all programmable .

again another dissapointment in skoda .

btw , anyone checked their rear-lights in "auto " during daytime --> they are OFF !!

14 minutes ago, nitro2 said:

btw , anyone checked their rear-lights in "auto " during daytime --> they are OFF !!

But can be changed using VCDS or OBDEleven etc.

21 hours ago, nitro2 said:

As they are supposed to be.

20 hours ago, nitro2 said:

Indeed , and in the eu this will be law soon !!

Rules like that only apply to brand new cars and not to existing ones.

• Like 1

yep , 

we need eu rules to make the road safe , whilst our cars can already comply !!  but the manufacturers disable important safety equipment !!

luckily some people can use programming equipment .

Its useful on some cars that the rear bulbs are disabled even if DRLs are on, is because the majority of DRLs are LED, and that's not necessarily the case for rear light clusters, so the bulbs would burn out much faster.  With the advent of rear LED clusters, that is becoming a moot point, so having them on now makes sense...

SOME EU rules are useful...but not ALL of them make sense.

23 hours ago, nitro2 said:

unfortunately , 

even my dealer can't make this work in "on " , should be a piece of cake as the settings are all programmable .

again another dissapointment in skoda .

Dealers are limited to what they can do. They don’t used VCDS so every possible option isn’t available to them, no matter how easy it may be. 

15 minutes ago, SC03OTT said:

Dealers are limited to what they can do.

+1

In most cases if it isn't included as a directed fault finding or downloaded setup option dealers cannot do it - those that can do non-OEM changes often use VCDS instead of the VAG system because it's more flexible (within its limitations of changing coding and adaptation values).

Edited by SWBoy

it is not acceptable that as a client  you pay for an option that doesn't work ....................

i never use "auto" nor "highbeam automatic"  , so wasted money ......................

i also payed for "sleepmode" on my wipers so they retrack invisible just under the edge of the frontscreen , this option only works when you drive !! .when you stop the engine they stop wherever they are at that moment ...........................

again wasted money there ,

dealer can't make it work either .

skoda makes lot of promises but can not forfill them towards a client .

if someone on the forum knows the way , please let me know.