Key fob eats batteries

My wife has one of the first Fabia MK3’s 1.2 SEL DSG, One of the remote key fobs eats batteries, the batterie last about 10 days on average.

They work fine then they are dead, no lights when you press any of the buttons. No warning the day before that the battery is low
If the fob needs replacing would it be covered by the Skoda warranty?

I have just changed mine today, on the only remote I use, at 11 months. I was going to moan at the dealer when the car goes in for service at the end of the month, but I don't think I will bother now.

If the key is at fault it should be replaced under warranty, convincing the dealer there is a problem might be an issue!

• Like 1

Sheees. Mine lasted from May '15 to mid-October '16 before I got the low-battery warning.

Certainly some oddities here!

It's a common issue on early kessy keys. Inform the dealer when you book the service and they might even spec order the keys ready to be programmed (they take 7-10 days as they come part coded).

Just don't fail to turn up or you might end up with a bill for the key(s) as they can't be coded to other vehicles.

I have changed the battery once on the remote (bought April 2015) after about 11 months. There is a thread somewhere on the mk111 site about a slightly bigger battery that can be shoe horned into the space though I just replaced mine with the standard battery.

I read on this site that the remote keeps checking the link to the car while you are driving if that's correct it may explain why there are differences in the life of the battery, last year I did 8k. Joe

Got my Fabia this May, I got the low battery warning a few times during summer, but I didn't change the batteries. Haven't seen the warning since August. I've done 19,000 kilometers (~12k miles).

I have changed the battery once on the remote (bought April 2015) after about 11 months. There is a thread somewhere on the mk111 site about a slightly bigger battery that can be shoe horned into the space though I just replaced mine with the standard battery.

Yep. You can fit a CR 2032 instead of the oem 2025.

To ease my problem with Batteries Tronic CR2025's are on offer in Lidl this week 1x6 for £1.99  or buy 2x6 for £3 this should keep me out of trouble for a while. Picked up 2 packs this morning on our monthly Lidl expodition, great tools bargains this week.

My wife has one of the first Fabia MK3’s 1.2 SEL DSG, One of the remote key fobs eats batteries, the batterie last about 10 days on average.

They work fine then they are dead, no lights when you press any of the buttons. No warning the day before that the battery is low
If the fob needs replacing would it be covered by the Skoda warranty?

If you are going to ask for replacement under warranty make sure you have a standard battery in there, non standard will void the warranty.

It doesn't matter what battery is fitted, if the fobs faulty then It will get replaced.

Make sure you take all your keys when it's being replaced as the recoding process will remove those keys not present.