racechip

The problem may arise from the fact that you purchased it from a third party.

If it comes direct from RaceChip they will pre-configure the box to the optimal settings for your engine/model before shipping.

It's possible that the vendor you used either did not configure it or used incorrect settings. It's only plug & play if it's been pre-configured correctly for your engine/model in the first place.

Indeed.

How sure can you be that the vendor bought it for the same car / model / engine? The odds of that must be rather slim, I would have thought.

No problems whatsoever with manufacturer-supplied kit.

On a related matter: I haven’t tried the Response Control yet, although the strong recommendation here is to get it (eh, BillyJim? ;)  ). The car’s throttle response – other than when in S and really booting it – is really rather sluggish. I occasionally drive another car with pretty much the same engine, but coupled to a 7-speed PDK. It really is a good deal more responsive; much more the way it should be in the first place.

• Like 1

I haven’t tried the Response Control yet, although the strong recommendation here is to get it (eh, BillyJim? ;)  ).

:thumbdown: +  :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:

The first thumb was for the first device being faulty. The remainder because I wouldn't want to be without it. I could easily go back to the standard 280 if I had to, but not that lazy throttle response...!

Contact Racechips, ask for factiry settings (should be a combination of two symbols - letter and or digits).

All quite confusing...

The document I received with mine stated the box was pre-configured for my engine/model to produce 350 PS when the second rotary switch is set to position 0 (default).

Position 1 adds a further 21.5% boost and each subsequent position adds a further 1.5% up to a theoretical maximum of 500 PS.

The first rotary switch serves no function as it is intended for diesel engines.

It would appear the plain-vanilla box I have is configured quite differently to the bluetooth box.

In the linked PDF in #22 (petrol) it states that RaceChip include the vehicle setting (code) in the invoice. Well, not on mine.

@Eurotraveller - perhaps you can aid the OP by checking if you have a code like this shown on your invoice...?

post-74330-0-86947900-1480027099_thumb.jpg

All quite confusing...

The document I received with mine stated the box was pre-configured for my engine/model to produce 350 PS when the second rotary switch is set to position 0 (default).

Position 1 adds a further 21.5% boost and each subsequent position adds a further 1.5% up to a theoretical maximum of 500 PS.

Rotary Switch.jpg

Out of curiosity anyone, what would the racechip boost the 190 dsg engine up to? (If it's set at the pre-configured setting)

Just found it. Adds 35bhp bringing it to 225bhp

Edited by BennyS3

@Eurotraveller - perhaps you can aid the OP by checking if you have a code like this shown on your invoice...?

Nothing, sorry.

As for the 190ps diesel, which I drove for a few months in 4x4 guise:

On paper, that is of course ample power, especially with diesel torque. So why doesn’t it feel anything like that, also compared with the previous generation 170ps? Again, I think, it’s the downright dreadful throttle response (obviously with DSG rather than manual). So, again, trying RaceChip’s Response Control might provide a big improvement before going down the power-boosting route.

As stated in the last post there are no rotary knobs inside my tuning box so I cannot adjust it the box was bought from Haz motorsport who is a certified retailer for Racechip in the uk also as its the ultimate with the app when you connect it it tells you that it is for a Skoda Superb 280 so it is the right one ..engine light still on and it takes the car longer to start

As stated in the last post there are no rotary knobs inside my tuning box so I cannot adjust it the box was bought from Haz motorsport who is a certified retailer for Racechip in the uk also as its the ultimate with the app when you connect it it tells you that it is for a Skoda Superb 280 so it is the right one ..engine light still on and it takes the car longer to start

Start stop failure error means you connected one of the plugs at the wrong place. The same plug fits two places, you have to move it to the right place and the error will go off, I had the same issue. Send me a message and will try to find photos of the correct placement for you.

I suppose I am a bit of a Racechip fan - fitted standard boxes to 1. Civic 2.2 diesel 2. Yeti Greenline 1.6 diesel 3. Octavia 2.0 TDI.

The Yeti kit had the connectors to the sensor at the rear of the engine - I ignored this!  The Civic and Octavia had simple connections just under the bonnet (I believe the latest TDI would now have the second connection).

The effect was as stated on the tin - both in performance and fuel consumption.  Since the Yeti was a pretty sedate motor to start with the improvement was a transformation. The standard box does have adjustment possibilities.

The ability to connect or disconnect in minutes was vital to me- so when Racechip suggested a 2 hour install on a Peugeot 2008 early in 2016 - I cancelled my order.

My very new Octavia is a 1.4 TSI petrol - this time I have a different insurer so haven't taken yet the plunge - but if it really is a 0-60 in 8 secs car I might not need to!

I've got the 1.4 and I think it gets down the road very well! I was a bit sceptical looking at the size of the car but I don't need any more acceleration. It is a very smooth engine and the two cylinder operation is undetectable.