Auto heating

Hi all.

When I use the auto heating setting I end up with cold feet. Is there a way of telling it it to blow more warm air to my feet, not to my head ?  

I find using manual settings works nicely, but it's a shame to buy something that does not work.

Thanks

KK

Unlike other systems in the car, there does not seem to be a way of introducing personal preferences. Once the car is warmed up I've never had cold feet with automatic which does work imho. But I get a cold chest and ideally would like the centre dash vents to blow air in automatic. The manual over ride is the only way I know of to get warmer feet. SWMBO complained in my FL Octavia when she wore sandals in cold weather.

The Octy's Auto climate system isn't as polished as some I've used (with many Audis being among the better ones). 

Having said that, I would consider two things: 

- one is that all the flaps which direct air around the system need to be fully working. I would prove that any air at all is being directed into the footwell and if it isn't, to start isolating if there's a problem. 

- two is to change temperature slightly. In the A2 I use 21C all the time. In the Fiesta, the system seems to like 20C (it's held, there's no wierd air streams and it keeps my feet warm); I started with 21 in the Octy, changed to 20 and am now back at 22C. That seems to work very well for me, and I've no idea why a single degree on the dial should make so much difference but it seems to.

The auto systems, if it's anything like the stuff I'm used to, measure the input air temps, output temps and that of the cabin. But I'm reasonably sure that there's then a calculation applied which doesn't necessarily take other things into consideration (like a blast of sunshine or shade in the summer). 

If I've felt it correctly, the outside vents are always blowing a small amount of air, but the centre ones are only really used when cooling... I might be wrong on that, I haven't really paid attention as after changing temperatures it's not been an issue for me. 

I'd also suggest 22C, 2 fan bars and up / down if Auto doesn't work. I'd expect some form of automatic adjustment to keep the output / interior temperature at around 22C even without auto on... again, I might be wrong there. I played a little with the system in our rental in teh summer and it irritated me but it wasn't bad enough to warrant too much messing around. As said, I'm of the opinion there's some adjustment in play, but it does take a little time to take effect.

- Bret

This is my sixth motor with CC, and another dozen or so driven enough to judge, and all have differed in where they direct the cold/heat under similar weather conditions. The Octavia is no worse nor better than others. IMHO.

At least in temperatures from zero to very high 30s.

I agree that the centre vents ,in my FL Octavia, only blew (cold) air automatically when it was very hot. 37C indicated iirc.Pity they do not kick in when it's cold outside.

Unlike other systems in the car, there does not seem to be a way of introducing personal preferences. Once the car is warmed up I've never had cold feet with automatic which does work imho. But I get a cold chest and ideally would like the centre dash vents to blow air in automatic. The manual over ride is the only way I know of to get warmer feet. SWMBO complained in my FL Octavia when she wore sandals in cold weather.

Did you try to change the profile of the AirCon from Light to Normal or High?

When I picked up the car the dealer told me on the light setting to aircon blows less through the front vents so the driver feels less of the changes in temperature as the system is controlling.

Did you try to change the profile of the AirCon from Light to Normal or High?

When I picked up the car the dealer told me on the light setting to aircon blows less through the front vents so the driver feels less of the changes in temperature as the system is controlling.

I've not tried this, I assume it's somewhere in the dreaded menu systems. Will investigate. Thanks for the idea.

Just push the feet button; the system will all but stay in automatic mode except it blows mainly on the feet and a tiny bit through the top vents. The temperature and speed settings will still be controlled automatically as normal.

Surely this just returns to manual mode ?