Engine rebuild at 61K

madjack

So my 1.8TSI engine in my 11 plate Superb was drinking oil at an alarming rate. Took it to the dealers and they told me (after diagnosis) that it needed Pistons, piston rings, timing chain and all that comes with taking my engine apart. Total cost £2500. Contacted Skoda UK who told me that this is not a common problem and that there is no recall for this. They supported with the payment and I finally ended up paying £700.

Cannot help but notice that they have replaced my Pistons with 'modified' Pistons. This sounds to me like the original spec Pistons were not up to the job hence the modified versions were fitted and indirectly an admission of a manufacturing fault.

Has anyone else experienced this and do you think I'd get anywhere by challenging this with Skoda UK?

A well known problem on the 1.8TSI I'm afraid. In the link above from DEL80Y a Skoda technician suggests asking for a complete engine replacement which is probably wise.

There is much info on this engine both on this forum and Google. Another post here http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/261643-18-tsi-excessive-oil-consumption/ read post 17 - I'd be asking for a complete engine with warranty otherwise you could end up like this.

I hope you get it sorted to your satisfaction and with minimal inconvenience.

Skoda UK Customer Services must have recruited all ne Call Handlers, Communications Managers & Senior Customer Services Managers that know nothing about ant Skoda Warranty Issues.

Only problem is the new Skoda UK Brand Manager that was employed this year after Alasdair Stewart was moved on into a new VW job.

His replacement worked for Skoda then VW on Warranty and Parts issues and is now back in charge in the UK, 

so he is not unaware of anything and seems happy that those working under him all seem to be 'Tommy'.

http://cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish/skoda-uk-appoints-duncan-movassaghi-as-brand-director/103565

Edited by Offski

If called as a witness in a Civil Case they can not lie as that would be perjury, which is why so often the Volkswagen Group might avoid Court Cases in England & Wales or 

in Scotland & Northern Ireland.

If anyone has nonsense with the 'We know nothing', never heard of it before, one off.

Get an Independent Expert Motor Engineers report and gather evidence of the issues that are rather well documented and then employ a Solicitor to raise your case formally 

with the intention to take legal actions.

VW Group love that, it gets their attention.