Interior rear view mirror - like looking thro' a letterbox

stonyb1

While I don't have it as far back as it can possibly go, I'm 6'2 so it's fairly far back. It's fine. I can see the whole back window through it. I'm pretty certain it's the exact same part as on my first car, a 2002 Polo!

However I did test drive a Polo which had the auto-dimming mirror, which I think is the same part as fitted to Fabias. That was definitely smaller than the standard manually dipping one, and was a bit letterbox-y. 

You might be able to fit the larger mirror as found in the Octavia (and others since around 2004 with the introduction of the Golf 5) but I'm not sure about the connectors or anything like that.

This is what it looks like (I think this picture is of a Golf, but it should all be the same)

autodimming-mirror-vw.jpg

mepaulrye; - glad I'm not the only one....if I find a good, practical alternative I'll let you know - although I expect it may prove a fruitless task as the fitting of any alternative will almost certainly be incompatible. 

• Like 1

If you're prepared to forego the auto-dimming feature you could just pop into Halfords etc and buy a clip-on wide-angle mirror of the sort that parents use to keep an eye on the sprogs in the back seat. Would be a cheap fix...apart from the auto-dimming.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...