E-bike

Gaz

3 hours ago, e-Roottoot said:

A dropper seat post is the greatest thing ever in my opinion. 

I always thought of dropper posts being for serious off road-ing where you have to hang your bum over the back wheel as you descend, or your belly or even chest is on the seat.

Never thought of the benefit when getting the bike in the car........good one. :)

@TiltNothing to do with getting them in the car for me, just drop the seat into the seat tube for that or take the post and seat off the bike.

I ride with an artificial leg above knee and ride with a seat high. 

That was for decades getting on at  kerb, standing on a stone or fallen tree etc.

Not riding in town etc if it meant stopping at lights, starting off on hills.

I used to start climbing hills and had to keep riding because if i stopped i had to start going downhill then turn and keep going up, or get off and push until a flat bit or a down slope.

Dropper seat posts mean getting my leg over the seat, sitting with feet on the ground and placing my foot on the pedal and pushing off and then raising the seat.

Dropping the seat to stop or to adjust my riding position and keep the artificial foot on the pedal.

If i am going someplace where i am going to ride a hire bike i have 2 sizes of Dropper Posts with me incase there is no bike with a dropper post.

Changed my life over the past 6 years, as has E-Bikes.

DSCN2880.JPG.fa81cfdec3636729311d82dfb8936988.jpeg

DSCN2884.JPG.4d4760a7afb000f8ab800cce3c4112fd.jpeg

Edited by e-Roottoot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Lady Elanore said:

I'm currently riding an e-bike to and from work as parking on site would be £22 and public transport to and from is very difficult. I didn't think I would ever ride a bike again after several knee injuries (I still have 4 bikes at home, as I can't bare to part with them :D). The bike weighs over 25kg and I carry a further 10kg of stuff in my panniers, sometimes even more. The bike is a Trek Powerfly 4 and is a bit of a dog to get past 15.5mph on the flat. The weight, massive off-road knobblies and what feels a bit like motor drag, make it very hard work, as does the lack of higher gears for quick road work. I have one big hill on my journey and although I get my pulse and breathing up substantially on the climb, there is no way I could get that bike and load up the hill without the assistance, my knees would not thank me at all (yes I do spin rather than grind). 

Being an ex-roadie, I find the road speed very limiting, but off-road, the motor is a beast. 85nm of torques things (abut the same as the Mini 1275 GT) is astonishing, as is a rumoured peak power of well over 500W (Bosch apparently underrate their motors). Sadly, the bike tyres are too wide to fit in a regular bike rack! So I need to find a tree or some such, to lash it too. More appropriate tyres will be fitted at some point. The range is reasonable considering the route I take and the 'intelligent' eMTB mode is still working out my average range as it takes a while to settle in. I do find getting my 'leg over' quite a task, especially on the hill I have to mount the bike on. It's very tall and with the giant Ortlieb panniers it's a good workout for you hip socket. 

Surprisingly, not being clipped in hasn't been the problem it normally was for me. Maybe it's the motor assist that helps me and stops me trying to pull up with my non power stroke leg? Also I intend to cut the bars down a bit, as they are too wide for general use and prevent the bike getting through countless gaps. Plus I can't lift the bike when fully loaded, at least not in any meaningful way. 

I have looked at chip tuning, just to get a small lift to maybe 20mph on 'non-public' roads of course, but Bosch have anti-tuning software that causes a lot of problems for those that fit them. You have to do a 90 minute penalty ride with no power to reset the most common fault code this causes and after 3 strikes, you have to have a factory reset at your dealers. Many users claim to have bricked their motors! 

I find getting "my leg over" is difficult at the best of times ;)

A dodgy left knee & increasingly painful hip joints make for a difficult ride :D 

Carrying a 2nd battery on the front rack i have fitted, and carrying more extra weight with a charger in my back pack i am getting 30 miles full assistance from each battery.

That is in this pretty warm weather and the furthest i have ridden and still had some charge is 70 miles.

I am planning in doing some 80-100 mile days in the next few weeks where it will be possible to get the battery charge during the day.

That takes 3 hours to get a battery from near empty to full. Average speed on road or is about 13mph.

DSCN6266.JPG

Edited by e-Roottoot
  • Like 1

On 28/06/2021 at 11:36, e-Roottoot said:

Using a Van or WAV with a ramp as a transporter would be 'simply clever', or just a suitable trailer.

http://www.bowheadcorp.com

http://www.bowheadcorp.com/shop

Even though I don't need one, just watching the first video I'm thinking 'hell yeah! B)'.  Want one!

Gaz

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

I had a long ride planned today to the Angus Coast mostly downhill and home but I should have started at first thing as it is getting just too warm. So change of plan and a long easy ride into the Angus Glens and then a nice fast run home. The heat should help lots in the range available with 2 batteries just as long as I can put enough effort in, if not then easier getting back than riding home from the coast.   Cash money in pocket and hopefully a nice lager or 2 will be available and ice creams. 

Edit.

Plans changed, it was too hot and crazy drivers once off the main road /pavement so i went gravel riding using farm tracks. 

1 battery 24 miles and a few miles left.

Managed to crash and land in a puddle while riding on the grassy middle, served me right. Not the first time.

That is an elbow.

DSCN0180.JPG

DSCN0190.JPG

DSCN0193.JPG

DSCN0204.JPG

DSCN0137.JPG

DSCN0144.JPG

DSCN0150.JPG

DSCN0162.JPG

DSCN0181.JPG

Edited by e-Roottoot

I think you should have taken the elbow photo and run a poll as to which body part it was. I honestly couldn't tell from the shot :D Glad your ok. I've had a few road rash moments over the years ( and a few ambulance rides too :D ) so I sympathise with you, especially at the mickey taking you may receive from loved ones...well I always seem to get some sort of stick :D 

• 3 weeks later...

so after my 2nd visit to OH's cousin in Llandudno and body destroying rides, OH decides i need an eBike...

long list at first, subsequently trimmed by spec and lastly by in stock or not :D....not exactly the ideal scenario but as most LBS's have very little stock let alone being able to try them out its been a tad difficult to actually pull the trigger on one.

currently waiting on an email back on an order that includes 10% of value of bike in accessories or buy same bike at same price from somewhere else.

this one is most likely, wanted the H10 but struggling to find in size plus this is similar spec - brakes the main difference- and is £400 cheaper at £5499

https://www.orbea.com/gb-en/ebikes/mountain/wild-fs/cat/wild-fs-h20

this one was the 1st choice but even finding one with £700 off it to bring it to £6099 was a touch too far and do i really need Carbon?

https://www.orbea.com/gb-en/ebikes/mountain/wild-fs/cat/wild-fs-m10

OH told me i was banned from having an eBike 4-5 days after getting the go ahead....

ridden with Michael twice on the last 2 Aug BH's...last year a few weeks later he slid off his going downhill, approx 25%  tarmac lane in the wet, scrapes all over and ended up wth Sepsis.

this year on the Saturday after our ride, short evening ride, heading down a slope to Colwyn Bay Prom he passed a metal waist high gate at the top which was open. sun in his eyes as he got to the bottom he couldnt see the lower gate - painted black wheras the upper one had Yellow markers on it- which was closed ( usually if 1 is open then both are) and hit it at 20+ mph....over the handlebars, helmet broken shell and polystyrene, broken scaphoid, bruised arms , legs and generally battered and bruised - VERY lucky.

apparently last year a young lad did the same and Council promised to close/open both gates at the same time and paint the lower one with hi-vis marking's - obviously didn't but as the Sun was low may have not made much difference?

i'm obviously too slow for him :notme:

1st outing today, very different to the hard tail 😄

I need to fine tune the saddle height and slide it back a touch, front of thighs aching. 

Suspension set to middle diddle for now

Tyres were too hard, stopped to let some out which went too low, popped some back in and seems about right with tubes, tubeless when I return from France late October. 

Ran mainly in eco mode so still got a decent workout HR wise. 

I need to get used to the sudden kick when on tight single-track as you hit the pedals, very off-putting at first. 

strava4751079492316053730.jpg

• Like 1

@olduns Lovely bike...... so jealous, Lol. Still seeing how much I can scrape together as would love one with full suss as I am used to this with my Scott Spark.

I always run my tyres well inflated. You can get away with it more on a full suss IMO.

I run my road tyres fully inflated though too to be fair. Rides better I think.

Maybe turn off the assistance when you hit the tight turns................ just a thought. :)

Bet you loved that ride???

Absolutely love it 👍

The tight turns are in the trees on the Deer trails and it's a tad heavy to muscle around.... Practice practice practice. 

I took the battery out and boy is it heavy.... 3.6kgs 😳. Goes down the gravel / fire at a fair old pace 😄

OH thought she was spending £2k 😂 although I did put the other £3.6k plus another £150 or so in pedals and other bits and bobs.... and I need to insure it now

• Love it! 1

• 1 month later...

It is weeks since i have been out and about on an e-Bike & i have only done some pushbike riding.

Today is a glorious cold and bright Autumn day.  

Fine where the paths, tracks and leaves are dry but a bit slidy where in the shade and wet. 

DSCN0326.JPG

DSCN0315.JPG

DSCN0312.JPG

DSCN0313.JPG

DSCN0289 (1).JPG

DSCN0294.JPG

Edited by roottoot
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I see that I started this thread a little over five years ago, and I'm starting to notice the battery degrading.  I'm just back from a 21 mile circuit, started at 99% and finished at 6%.  Five years ago I'd still have 45 to 50% left.

But then it's five years old, the bike's done a good 7,000+ miles, and half of that was chipped so the power didn't tail off at 15.5mph.  8c outside, but with a biting breeze (killed my phone battery) and halfway around my rear brake started to bind, all of which would have a bit of an impact.  Overall, I think it's done well 👍

I could have the battery re-celled, but was talking to a chap from Wisper who said it'd make more sense to put the money towards a new(er) bike.  A decision for the Spring, but I'm certainly warming to the idea.

Gaz

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/12/2021 at 16:02, Gaz said:

and halfway around my rear brake started to bind.....

Problem found, nice easy fix;

FE54C7F8-445D-43D3-9479-6262B71DF23D.jpeg

Brucie bonus - new pads were £9.99, but Sally had a £10 Halfords voucher from one of my Christmas pressie purchases (wash mitt and microfibre towels), so cost me n'owt.

Gaz

Edited by Gaz
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...

So today was the 'I really must clean out the motor covers for the 1st time' 

All fine until the plate and 1 of the 2 screws on the front decided to disappear into frame 🤬. 6 bolts taken out, Motor dropped, plate out and re-glued to frame, all back together thankfully. 

The screw was the little fecker next to the pedal

IMG_20220306_142629.thumb.jpg.3ab636c7bb815f73c4a6c6842ab58c72.jpg

IMG_20220306_145343.thumb.jpg.d2ea7ddfc07a088fc75ee1e63b06d2b6.jpg

• Like 2

It is months since I have been out on my bikes because of the weather and other circumstances.      So diabetic bloods given last week, blood pressure checked which I knew was a bit high.  I have my artificial leg for cycling sorted out as that was an issue and the bikes are ready to go.   Up early ready to go with a plan for the next few weeks of getting into my usual routine of routes and trips as the weather and my fitness improves.      So torrential rain this morning and now on hold until tomorrow or maybe it things dry up later.   Appointment made for bloods check in a month's time.    I do not want any changes in medication other than reducing to what is was on when doing a few thousand miles a year by bike. 

Edited by roottoot
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've joined the club (health club forum) ............ didn't know I had to but eventually found it, Lol.

I recently joined the e- bike club too with the arrival of my Scott Strike 940 2022. (some will be aware of the story of the first one being 'lost in transit / it was a Vauxhall actually / bike that went missing, then miraculously appeared.

So, wondering if anyone else has cut their handlebars down??? (I know Amanda was intending to do it). I did it on my Spark and just wondered if anyone else had.

My bars are almost 800mm wide and will defo make them a little shorter..

Anyone felt the need to fit a longer Ahead Stem.??? This one is very short.

Also @Tech1edo you still have your Crossfuse??? still enjoying it??? I am thinking of getting a hybrid too and this is the one that stood out to me. 

The battery and charger will be compatible with my Strike too, the battery can be fitted to the Strike and coupled with the Powertube for extra mileage.

Any other thoughts or advice, and buying advice for bike bags ................ where do you attach your pump for instance etc etc be greatly appreciated. :)

Edited by Tilt

19 hours ago, Tilt said:

I recently joined the e- bike club too with the arrival of my Scott Strike 940 2022.

Any other thoughts or advice, and buying advice for bike bags ................ where do you attach your pump for instance etc etc be greatly appreciated. :)

Have I missed pics?? 🙄 We need pics!! 😁

On my Giant (analogue bike) I've a frame clipped pump:

IMG_5031.thumb.jpeg.9517399a03eb664c9631810e71f7f79e.jpeg

On my e-bike, I've got a micro-pump which just fits in a Roswheel frame bag:

IMG_5033.thumb.jpeg.d6b5770c614030554960473af257fea6.jpeg

HTH

Gaz

Edited by Gaz
spellin'
  • Like 1

Hardtail bars I ended up at about 760mm, the Orbea I've left standard, 780 ish?

If your grips are lock ons and have push in end caps, experiment by slowly moving everything inwards to find best position.

Otherwise adjust hand position and move clamps to suit.

Modern MTBs are now slack geo-wise so now need weight over the front so are more of a hunched riding position and I think the majority will have short stems. The only way is trial and error = buying stems or possibly 'borrowing' a mates?

Pump on the Felt in France I run similar to above but mounted behind the bottle carrier with longer screws.

The Orbea has room only for bottle so I carry a mini pump in an EVOC 3l hip pack and now use the EVOC on the Whyte HT as well, saves on remembering what's where.

• Like 1

I will get some pics up asap. It is not a flashy bike at all. I'd say stealthy, but it's huge..............

I managed to get my saddle bag bracket fitted to the underside of the seat yesterday (same as my old mtb) and the bag sits quite nicely.

It will reduce dropper movement a bit but still plenty of drop for me. 

Never needed a dropper post before anyway.

I also came to realise that if I fit the bottle cage pump holder facing the wrong way up (so it curves upwards instead of downward around a round frame as usual) it fits lovely with the pump sitting alongside the bottle rather than the frame. Perfect. Just need another one to replace on my road bike now, Lol.

• Like 1