Rattles and niggles

Suggestions please.

I have what sounds like a squeak coming from the back of the car, either the rear passenger space or luggage compartment (I have an estate). It's not a rattle, or a buzz, but a squeak / metallic noise. More noticeable over bumpy ground. Any suggestions on places to look to track it down?

Also I have the electric leather vRS seats. It feels like there is something loose / moving around in the seat base.

When I go sharply around a corner, I can feel a thump underneath the seat through my bum. If I sharply turn left then right, it feels like something is moving side to side underneath me. Any thoughts? Nothing obviously visible at first glance under the seat. I was contemplating removing the plastic trim around the seat base to investigate, but not immediately obvious how - anyone done this?

Thanks

Suggestion could be to have alook at the system ( brackets ) which hold the rearseat to the bottom of the car .

I had a resonating noise from right-rear-ish , and that turned out to be coused by one of the brackets , solution was simple

Use some masking tape around the bracket to fill the gap stopping it from vibrating.

btw.  all kind of squeecks and rattles are "acceptable "according to my dealer ( i have left under dashboard rattle , right next to sunroof panel rattle, right rear-seat-ish squeeck and rattle , right near firewall resonating between 3-5k revs , rear boot somewhere very annoying  ) and it is too much work for the dealer to clear them ( aka rebuilding a bad car syndrome )  .

i have covered 40k km with it and it rattles and squeecks more than my previous  renault grand scenic .

There are two problems, the ski hatch in the back seats and the plastic boot trim on the hatch. The ski hatch vibrates and rattles. Come to think of it on bumpy roads the whole rear seat vibrates, i pulled the rear seats by using a small ratchet strap on the d rings to rear of the seat, the vibration stoped.

Also the small flap on the boot blind, the bit that touches the rear seat also chatters, i lifted it up on the seat, it fixes it, its not ideal but it solves the problem.

• 4 months later...

On ‎19‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 20:55, evan15281 said:

Suggestions please.

I have what sounds like a squeak coming from the back of the car, either the rear passenger space or luggage compartment (I have an estate). It's not a rattle, or a buzz, but a squeak / metallic noise. More noticeable over bumpy ground. Any suggestions on places to look to track it down?

Also I have the electric leather vRS seats. It feels like there is something loose / moving around in the seat base.

When I go sharply around a corner, I can feel a thump underneath the seat through my bum. If I sharply turn left then right, it feels like something is moving side to side underneath me. Any thoughts? Nothing obviously visible at first glance under the seat. I was contemplating removing the plastic trim around the seat base to investigate, but not immediately obvious how - anyone done this?

Thanks

@evan15281Did you ever get anywhere with this? I have what seems to be the same thing - a very annoying high frequency squeak from the rear of my combi.

I've emptied the boot of contents, checked the spare is secure, tried the seats up and down, removed the retractable cover, but nothing has helped. I think its trim off next.

Edited by andyh41
added op

• 1 year later...

I’m experiencing exactly what you described with your drivers seat feeling like the base is moving side to side around sharp corners in my 2016 vRS with electric leather seats.

Did you ever work out what it was?

Have you tried putting something over the spare wheel , I found the polystyrene tool holder was my problem, put an old towel around it and over the top squeak gone

Edited by skippy41

I tried everything as above and some. Rattle was driving me crackers to the point of considering selling. I have a wagon/estate car and it turned out to be tailgate catch needing adjusting. Instead of removing plastic trim to access latch  to adjust I wound some insulating tape around the latch and hey presto. Fixed and silent. Will eventually have to do a proper adjustment but works fine.

Incidentally 3 years 4 months old, 78000 kms this is only fault. I think it is a super car, well pleased.

Regards

Roger in Oz

i am completely fed up with this low budget approach of skoda , and their dealers .

the price is high enough to expect a reasonable build quality !!

i covered almost 150k kilometer in 2 years and the rattles and squeecks are huge , the resonance i had at the right has gradually moved to the left , around 2-3k rpm ( so the rpm you normally drive ) even that pathetic canton can't cover the noises any more...............

i was looking for the 2018 model to replace it , but as that is basically the same vehicle i do doubt if i can stand this for anothe 2.5 years.

On 24/04/2018 at 16:53, nitro2 said:

i am completely fed up with this low budget approach of skoda , and their dealers .

the price is high enough to expect a reasonable build quality !!

i covered almost 150k kilometer in 2 years and the rattles and squeecks are huge , the resonance i had at the right has gradually moved to the left , around 2-3k rpm ( so the rpm you normally drive ) even that pathetic canton can't cover the noises any more...............

i was looking for the 2018 model to replace it , but as that is basically the same vehicle i do doubt if i can stand this for anothe 2.5 years.

Good

• Haha 1

• 10 months later...

had my new my2019 octavia estate lhd delivered in december , 

rattle in both front doors 

rattle in left side of dash around area of light switch ( lhd car ) 

rattle in middle of sunroof console 

rattle in b pillar top where it meets roofliner  on both sides

rattle at the sides of the sunvisors 

my previous 2 octavias !!   had rattles IN THE SAME SPOTS

how about improving ......................

I see someone above was also considering selling the car because of a rattle - preaching to the choir! :)

My car as signature, fine on the 100 mile journey home from dealers and then on day 2 I started getting a rattle/vibration from the passenger-side front door.

Booked in to local dealers, behaved itself for the entire drive to them, they had it, didn't hear anything. Drove home, no noise.

Next day, it was back.

Another trip to the dealership - no sound found, returned.....it was driving me mad!

I was honestly looking at a sideways move, I knew it would cost me money to do, but I was going to trade my car in against another similar just to escape the noise.

I could replicate it with the right road surface and the right music, my wife had heard it, two of my friends had heard it - just couldn't get a Skoda person to hear it.

In the end I took drastic measures. Door card off (scary). Located two points where there was nothing between door card and door, no cables, just door card and then metal.

Purchased foam, the stuff you would put inside sofa cushions, cut two large pieces and attached them to the door card - put door back together.

Two weeks later, touch wood and my car is at last silent.....more or less.

I hear the occasional noise, but never from the same place twice, nothing constant, nothing annoying.

I had to do the work myself, but I'm happy at last!

My 2018 VRS also has a rattle from the passenger door, almost a 'buzz' that is worse dependent on road surface. How easy is it to remove the door panel as I am worried about breaking clips!

Could book in to dealer to look at but it;s a hassle

48 minutes ago, CFBScout said:

My 2018 VRS also has a rattle from the passenger door, almost a 'buzz' that is worse dependent on road surface. How easy is it to remove the door panel as I am worried about breaking clips!

Could book in to dealer to look at but it;s a hassle

It could possibly be the same noise I was hearing - buzzing, a vibration.

I have taken the door card off 3 times now, all without breaking clips - you will want a set of plastic trim removal tools, I picked some up on Ebay for £5.

Effectively you:

Remove the cover for the passenger-side door handle, the front of it pulls off with leverage from underneath.

This reveals two Torx screws, one more or less in the middle of the handle, one under the electric window controls.

I managed to remove those both without the need to remove the electric door controls - use a torx screwdriver with strong magnet otherwise those screws drop into the door - not a problem when you're removing as you'll get to them anyway. When you're putting it back together....not so much.

Finally at the very bottom of the door, need to get on your knees and look up, small nut that spins 360, it'll be horizontal holding trim on, you turn it 90 so it is vertical.

Then, trim removal tools, starting at the bottom and pull the card away from the door.

Google "Octavia Mk3 Door card removal" - there are two videos, neither will show that exact door, but they give you a good idea of where you're looking for screws and where to leverage the door card.

Once I was inside, there were two quite large areas of "nothing" so to speak, my thinking was quite thick foam, there is just no way then the plastics can vibrate against the metals, which is what I was convinced was the problem.

Touch wood, it was.

Wish I'd taken some pictures now had I known others might suffer the same issue.

I Didn't because my foam was cut "roughly to size and not straight" - I knew nobody would ever see it, so I didn't care what it looked like, so long as it did the job.