RNS 315 Retrofit. No phone, and no clock synch

fabia220

I can only agree - the response from the various CANbus emulator guys has not been sufficiently confident to make me risk shelling out more dosh, although there is an outfit called auto polar who make some kind of BAP/DDP translator, but not for this application as far as I can tell.  The other problem is that even if successfully translated, the car probably doesn't have half the sensors that the head unit is expecting to see, so as the man says 'there'll be other issues'!  I am toying with the idea of returning the unit to the eBay vendor who is adamant that the only problem is that 'the car needs recoding by a Skoda dealer' (oh how we chuckled) and trading it for a RNS310, but this might just be more grief.

Let me be guided by those more knowledgeable than I...  I'd prefer to fit a Skoda head unit rather than an aftermarket one.  It must work in the 2008 Fabia (obviously).  It MUST have  Bluetooth phone integration, and satnav would be very nice but only if it is 7 digit postcode.  DAB is clearly off the menu (glad I spent a load of time and money on that amplified aerial!) and anything else like SD cards and music streaming is merely nice to have not must have.  I am in the process of upgrading my VCDS dongle to HEX-USB+CAN so any required recoding will be within my grasp (with more help from this forum no doubt).  The RNS310 clearly was available on this car, but there are many different versions it seems, and bizarrely phone integration does not appear to be present on many that are offered for sale.

What should I fit?  Or is aftermarket the only safe option? 

All assistance very gratefully received...

RNS310 (or Skoda Amundsen) is most likely the best OEM option. However, there's nor DAB option, no Bluetooth built in option, and the unit has poor sat nav function compared to the Amundsen Plus and Columbus (the maps run off either the SD crd or the CD drive, not the internal storage).

You could always fit a Bluetooth kit to the car? But whether that would be compatible with your current phone I don't know.

Bluetooth can be added to the car, not the head units. The factory kit fits under the drivers seat and wires into the loom behind the head unit, microphone up into the head liner, and interfaces with the head unit and car. The type and part number of a suitable Bluetooth kit is not something I'm qualified to comment on though, someone with a similar car and Bluetooth fitted would be able to advise better than me.

Forgive my ignorance - why is the RNS310 have poor sat nav function compared to RNS510? My 310 is way way quicker to find my location, plot routes, react to traffic problems and plot diversions etc than my 510 unit. 

For the bluetooth integration situation, there are many VW/Skoda forums out there that explain retrofitting well. 

Forgive my ignorance - why is the RNS310 have poor sat nav function compared to RNS510? My 310 is way way quicker to find my location, plot routes, react to traffic problems and plot diversions etc than my 510 unit. 

For the bluetooth integration situation, there are many VW/Skoda forums out there that explain retrofitting well. 

If you read my earlier post in its entirety you'll see what I said about the sat nav function running the maps from media rather than onboard memory...

• 2 weeks later...

Gave up with this one lads.

Everything is possible I am sure, but sometimes, as one is often reminded on this forum,  'A man's gotta know his limitations'

We'll live with the idiosyncrasies for now and fit a Parrot...

• 1 month later...
  • 5 years later...
On 22/11/2016 at 20:49, Rustynuts said:

There is no ignition/permanent live switch trick which will help you with the issue of the unit going to sleep. The only way to keep the unit awake is for the canbus system to tell it to stay awake.

Edit: As I've said before, you can buy a canbus emulator which will allow the unit to function correctly with ignition on / off, but when I mentioned it you told me that using your finger every 30 minutes was cheaper...

Hi old thread but can you point me in the right direction of a easy plug and play emulator I have the rns315 and trying to fit it into a 09 plate fabia...I have all the same issues thanks