Smokey SDi

Hi all,

Back in the Fabia fold with another SDi - Saloon :D

Any how, I have a small issue with it, along with a few other's but this is one that has me slightly stumped.

Driving along the M-Way at night, I can see the car is pouring out a lot of smoke. A bit of testing and it seems like something gets stuck and keeps fuelling the engine, but the revs drop.

A few things I noticed.

- Driving along accelerate hard, no smoke then completely let of the accelerator I get lots of smoke, accelerate again and it will clear up

- Accelerate hard from standing - smoke

- Also when driving along sometimes i get a small blip in power, like something has opened up.

MPG seems fine, and there is no lack in power.... for an SDi

On start-up it starts instantly but seems a bit "knockey" - I can't remember if this is a characteristic of the SDi or not :nerd:

I haven't read the codes as yet, hopefully will get round to this tomorrow so results to follow!

Bit of a side note, I just purchased the car... cheap and it was owned by an older gent who in the last few years had only covered 3k.

It was serviced with a fuel filter back in September.

Any help appreciated :notme:

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I'm very stuck with all this now. 

I have managed to get a couple of readings of Vag-Com and they do not look good to me at all, I could really do with some advice!

I have attached a couple of images from the readings I thought relevant having read around.

Any help, advice or things to try much appreciated! 

post-46127-0-69439700-1481796532_thumb.jpg

post-46127-0-35979500-1481796536_thumb.jpg

post-46127-0-33023900-1481796539_thumb.jpg

post-46127-0-62874000-1481796542_thumb.jpg

Check that the air filter is clean and that it's warming up properly, if not replace the thermostat then the ECT sensor and maybe the fuel temperature sensor as required. The cat may be clogged due to the previous owner using it as a shopping trolley, motorway miles will clean it up.

Thanks for all the advice.

I found the timing was out, so got that altered as part of getting the cambelt replaced as it was due in the next 6 months. This has produced some good results, it's not as smokey and seems to be nice and quiet bar on of the injectors!

Next step is to replace the injector on Cylinder 4 as it looks out compared to all the others and I'm still getting smoke under acceleration although not as bad as before the timing was adjusted.

Any one any advice on how to remove and re-fit an SDi injector. All the bits I read its a special tool to remove but nothing on how to replace.

Have attached a new timing reading and also injector readout.

post-46127-0-71362200-1482408103_thumb.jpg

post-46127-0-87034400-1482408108_thumb.jpg