Active regen at end of journey

2.0 TDI

Stop at end of journey, 1000 rpm idle, fans running, acrid smell - so active regen in progress.

Do I: 

A   Turn round and keep driving until idle returns to normal.

B   Leave car to idle until idle returns to normal.

or

C    Just switch off.

Supplementary question

If best action is a) above, but circumstances do not allow this,  is 2nd best option B or C

Thanks

Edited by Octy0GG

Depends how long you intend on keeping the car. As mine was a lease and 90% of my journeys were short it meant I interrupted the regeneration multiple times over the 3 years I had the car with no adverse affects whatsoever. Don't know what the longer term implications are.

When this happenes to me I usually drive around in sports mode (very rarely get above third gear round here so revs 2000ish) for about 10 minutes and then all seems to have returned to normal.

When this happenes to me I usually drive around in sports mode (very rarely get above third gear round here so revs 2000ish) for about 10 minutes and then all seems to have returned to normal.

Surely then driving extra miles and increasing revs starts to eat into any economy savings over having a petrol version. On my fabia mk3 1.4tdi I just shut it down and let it regen next time, the only way I would have carried on driving extra miles was if the dpf warning light came on but that never happened.

Edited by POWYSWALES
  • Like 1

I do A, when I can.

Really like to excuse myself and take some lonely time driving the car. Feel more relaxed and my body DPF (stress) is low after that :))

+1

• Like 1

Mine still doing them regularly after three years. Bloody fan going on for five minutes minimum after engine switch off about once a fortnight.

Too many short journeys, petrol next time for sure, although don't know if I'll be able to cope with the extra refinement and a silent engine!

• Like 1

:))) liked last post with the refinement.

Though I have detected many active regens, never heard the fans blowing on stop. What is the scenario different from mines so far...higher rpms,suggestions on the comp go keep longer first and second gear, start stop off?

Does it mean that fans indicate interrupted regen on late stage?

Just switch-off & leave the car to do its thing.

All the fans indicate is that the engine & exhaust system is hot.

You might have already finished the regeneration or be 99% complete in which case you are driving round for no reason for 15 minutes.

On my previous O3 vRS (MY14) I could hear the fans from inside the house, on my new one (MY17) I have to actually be stood in front of it to hear them running after interrupting a regen so clearly somethings been done by Skoda to quieten things down.

Just switch-off & leave the car to do its thing.

All the fans indicate is that the engine & exhaust system is hot.

You might have already finished the regeneration or be 99% complete in which case you are driving round for no reason for 15 minutes.

So if the regen is complete but it's just that the engine and exhaust system are still hot would you expect the fan running but a normal idle?

Edited by Octy0GG