Help please car wouldnt move

ola80

Hello everyone,

I am having some issues with car and i was hoping someone here can help.

I have a skoda superb 1.9tdi 2005. today i started my car and it justs struggles to move, no matter how hard i press the accelerator the car just drags as if something is holding it back.

i have scan it and there isnt any code, no light is coming up on the dash as well. i replaced the maf sensor thinking that might be the issue but nothing seems to be working.

please help.

thanks

Brake light switch

Brake switch overides throttle. As above get this checked.

There's 2 outputs on the switch. One for brake lights. One for ECU.

thanks guys, what am i checking for in the brake switch and is this something i can check using a code reader?

thanks guys, what am i checking for in the brake switch and is this something i can check using a code reader?

You generally only get a code if the switch outputs don't agree with each other. If they have both failed in the same state then the ECU just thinks that you are applying the brake or not applying the brake.

You can see the state of both switches with VCDS in the measuring blocks, otherwise the easiest thing is to remove it and use a multi meter.

Edited by SuperbTWM
  • Like 1

You generally only get a code if the switch outputs don't agree with each other. If they have both failed in the same state then the ECU just thinks that you are applying the brake or not applying the brake.

You can see the state of both switches with VCDS in the measuring blocks, otherwise the easiest thing is to remove it and use a multi meter.

thanks for your reply

where is the brake switch be located - is it easy to change, also will it not better to just change it if it is easy to change?

just looking on eurocarparts which of the below will be the right one

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Skoda_Superb_1.9_2005/p/car-parts/electrical/car-electrics-and-car-lighting/car-switch-and-car-sensors/?464440080&1&e59f57885bbfbdd81f3d554af015eecb78e23a08&000415

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Skoda_Superb_1.9_2005/p/car-parts/electrical/car-electrics-and-car-lighting/car-switch-and-car-sensors/?464440170&1&f0f963303457eb675e6e64feadb0e1ef770fc2c2&000415

Top end of the brake pedal. Not sure if there's any trim to remove before you can see it on a Superb.

Judging by the chassis numbers, the second link you posted will be the one.

As said above, it's two switches really. When the pedal is pushed, pins 1 & 4 become connected (switching on the brake lights), and pins 2 & 3 become disconnected (telling engine and ABS ECUs that the pedal is pressed). If yours is telling the ECU wrongly that the pedal is pressed, it suggests a problem with the switch between pins 2 & 3, or a broken wire going to one of them.

• Like 2

Top end of the brake pedal. Not sure if there's any trim to remove before you can see it on a Superb.

As said above, it's two switches really. When the pedal is pushed, pins 1 & 4 become connected (switching on the brake lights), and pins 2 & 3 become disconnected (telling engine and ABS ECUs that the pedal is pressed). If yours is telling the ECU wrongly that the pedal is pressed, it suggests a problem with the switch between pins 2 & 3, or a broken wire going to one of them.

Indeed, seems to be a common fault in many VAG cars of this era. Happened on my Octavia as well - on mine the brake light also stopped working

Edited by bigjohn

Indeed, seems to be a common fault in many VAG cars of this era. Happened on my Octavia as well - on mine the brake light also stopped working

thank you very much for your help guys, will have a look in the morning and just change the sensor.

ok guys i have a problem, I have just had a look and there 2 switches one is colour black with part number 3bo945511a ( it has 4 pins) and the other is colour blue with part number: 1j0927189e (2 pin). the black one is linked to the brake pedal, and the blue one is linked to the clutch pedal.

which one do i need to change?

thanks

The black one connected to the brake pedal

just changed it and now i am getting error code16955 Brake switch (F) P0571 -35-00- implausible signal with the coil symbol on the dash and worshop message

just changed it and now i am getting error code16955 Brake switch (F) P0571 -35-00- implausible signal with the coil symbol on the dash and worshop message

Did you install it correctly? The switch locks its adjustment mechanism in place when you lock it into position so its important that you have the brake pedal in its relaxed state when installing.

• Like 1

Did you install it correctly? The switch locks its adjustment mechanism in place when you lock it into position so its important that you have the brake pedal in its relaxed state when installing.

yeah figured that out and reinstall, the error code went off but the car was still not moving so took to the garage close to me and was told the clutch was gone

If it makes you feel a tiny bit better, I would say it's very likely that you would have needed to replace the brake light switch soon, even though it wasn't the problem here. So I think you haven't wasted that money.

If it makes you feel a tiny bit better, I would say it's very likely that you would have needed to replace the brake light switch soon, even though it wasn't the problem here. So I think you haven't wasted that money.

what will make me feel much better is if i won the lottery!! lol :D - the car is done about 140k and is year 2005, should i be thinking about cutting my loses or can i still get a bit more value for money out of it

Could last a long time and a lot more miles yet. May be an idea to get a couple of other quotes for the clutch/flywheel, £800 sounds high to me.

finally got a quote to change clutch and dual mass for 600. is there anything that needs changing when replacing a clutch?

Well, to start with, there is no definite need to change the DMF with the clutch.

No, many, many good flywheels have been scrapped when they could have been re-used. But it is a gamble. 

Just because it appears good at the time doesn't mean it will last the life of another clutch which is why I personally believe in changing the DMF with every clutch. There are certain circumstances where I wouldn't though depending on mileage and known history of the car or whether I was keeping it etc.

took to the garage and was told the clutch was gone! this is not the xmas present i was hoping for, its going to cost close to £800 to change clutch and flywheel!! 

Does that mean the engine was revving up without the car moving forward when clutch released and accelerator pressed?