Automatic Boot Lid/tailgate using Springs for MK3 Wagon

Hey guys,

I'm taking inspiration from the post in the MK2 section for the automatic boot lid using springs (link below).

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/164486-automatic-boot-completed/

I've asked around the traps and I haven't found anything concrete that will suite my MK3 as nobody knows what size or type of springs I need and where to buy them from. Sorry if it has been asked already but I'd thought I'd give it a try.

I bought these springs from this same seller earlier this year for my Octavia III estate and I can confirm they work as expected.

Just keep in mind that, as springs are basically a form of "energy storage", the force they release to open the trunk must first be applied by you to the springs (when closing the boot). Since they're quite strong springs, you'll have to apply some extra effort when closing your boot once the springs are in place.

Another quick piece of advice, as the price on the ebay page seems high: at almost 53 Euros.

I had contacted the seller via his facebook page (www.facebook.com/remote.back.door/) and the cost was 26 EUR (+ shipping) which is half the price listed on ebay (and the same price is listed here in his local classified: https://auto.bazos.sk/inzerat/68234835/Automaticke-otvaranie-kufra.php).

So unless something has changed in the quality/type of springs he ships for the Octavia III, you could try to contact him instead of ordering directly via ebay to get a better price.

Edited by Natman

Interesting, still waiting to collect my car tomorrow, but does this mean that holding the middle button will pop the trunk on the normally? I assumed that was most of what you were paying for with the $500 auto tailgate option?

yes, middle button pops the boot already, with the springs in place it'll pop and then also open up the boot lid (lots of vids on youtube) but not the same as the full auto tailgate option as that will also close the boot for you i believe :)

• 3 months later...

Thanks guys for your replies. I'm going to order a set of springs and give it a go. Its been a while since I posted this but I am going to make a more concerted effort to post more often.
I'll report back once I've got them installed and share it for all to see. :thumbup:

Had those on my o2,

Worked great first year, mine started to rust and during winter they wasnt cooping with the cold climate in sweden..

If I didnt have the electric tailgate I would probably buy them, but use shrink tube on them so they dont start to rust..

On 4/16/2017 at 20:38, Frallan said:

Had those on my o2,

Worked great first year, mine started to rust and during winter they wasnt cooping with the cold climate in sweden..

If I didnt have the electric tailgate I would probably buy them, but use shrink tube on them so they dont start to rust..

Thanks Frallan. I was thinking about painting them but having some shrink tube of some sort would probably do the trick (maybe black to blend them in a bit). Sweden - that's a bit of a hike from Australia! :-)

Thanks for the tip!