Thinking about an Ateca

yetifabia

I'm planning to start looking around for a new car in the new year.  I have toyed with the idea of moving to petrol, but I want 4wd and DSG (or something just as good) and it's pretty clear that manufacturers are not interested in making these, at least not at sensible prices.  So it's now coming down to a diesel which is likely to be a Yeti or an Ateca.  The Ateca comes with the 190ps engine, 7 speed DSG and you can add adaptive cruise control.  It's also getting very good reviews.  The Yeti doesn't really seem to compete.

I understand that Skoda actually make the Ateca in the Czech Republic and stick a SEAT badge on it.  The trouble is, they seem to have lost interest in the Yeti with the new model put back to 2018 and no new technology being added.  On the other hand, I've really enjoyed my Yetis.

Decisions, decisions...

I understand that Skoda actually make the Ateca in the Czech Republic and stick a SEAT badge on it.  The trouble is, they seem to have lost interest in the Yeti with the new model put back to 2018 and no new technology being added.  On the other hand, I've really enjoyed my Yetis.

Decisions, decisions...

Why not drive the Ateca and let us know how you get on?  Assuming you prefer the larger size of the Ateca, surely the only dilemma is whether the deal is right and whether there is a good Seat dealer near you?

Why not drive the Ateca and let us know how you get on?  Assuming you prefer the larger size of the Ateca, surely the only dilemma is whether the deal is right and whether there is a good Seat dealer near you?

I expect this is what I will do.  The Ateca is not much bigger, unlike the Kodiaq which is ruled out for that reason.  I'm happy with my Skoda dealer but don't really know much about SEAT dealers.

It will be no big surprise if the current Yeti's replacement does not have a wheelbase 6" longer and is about 5 1/2" longer overall like an Ateca.

I have a Dealership locally that does Skoda & SEAT right next to each other.

It is best to go see how you are treated by each set of salespeople, look at the clear to understand information that SEAT can offer, 

models, options, servicing etc.

Edited by Offski

I'm happy with my Skoda dealer but don't really know much about SEAT dealers.

Unless your Skoda garage is exceptional, there's not much to cause you to choose one over another. I've had cars from SEAT, Skoda and VW besides others, and to be frank, my experience says there's not much difference in the dealers.

Edited by Zib

Up to now what i have found different is Skoda UK from SEAT UK.

Skoda UK had Alastair Stewart as Brand Director who wrote or released good news press releases and when caught out embarrassed by shoddy dealers got a Senior Manager on the case. His replacement seems to have a HQ full of Communication Managers that as quick as possible dismiss any issues customers have and say they are closing the case.

SEAT UK HQ seem to just ignore communications if put to them in writing.

But that is maybe just me and their 'Ignore button'....

I understand that Skoda actually make the Ateca in the Czech Republic and stick a SEAT badge on it.

According to the advert. Its created in Barcelona.

Would VAG tell porkies??

Seriously, an Ateca is top of my next car list at the moment

This is from  Auto Bild re; the Ateca

'The other petrol engine will be the 1.4 TSI of 158 hp, with manual or automatic transmission, and available in 4x2 and 4x4 traction. The all-wheel-drive versions and the DSG change will be optional'.

Once again, the UK importers can not be bothered with petrol motors. If you do not want a diesel motor you have very limited choice. Why?

You could also consider the Mazda CX5. Good reviews and a lot of standard kit.

Colin

I did a test drive in an auto version, the ride is so very bad and the auto box no where as good as a DSG. IMHO.

Unless your Skoda garage is exceptional, there's not much to cause you to choose one over another. I've had cars from SEAT, Skoda and VW besides others, and to be frank, my experience says there's not much difference in the dealers.

Actually, they are exceptional.  A family dealership that really understands how to look after customers.  Needless to say, Skoda removed their main dealer status when they wouldn't spend a couple of million to buy a fancy new showroom, but they can still order new cars.

According to the advert. Its created in Barcelona.

Would VAG tell porkies??

Seriously, an Ateca is top of my next car list at the moment

There's a difference between "created" and "built". :D   Skoda's building it was announced in the motoring press when the first details came out.  It's in these forums somewhere but I can't find it!

If Wikipedia has errors they can be corrected by the knowing

There are people who dispute AGW but they don't bother to submit anything other than an opinion.......they're a dime a dozen

Sometimes translation is the issue.

Is the Ateca being produced along side the next generation Yeti,

or is it, the Ateca will be produced alongside the next generation when they start building the next generation Yeti.

Likely the Next Generation Yeti is a Clay Model & a Mule & even a fully built vehicle in pre-production form for Type Approval if being done, 

so maybe the Ateca 'is' actually being produced alongside the Next Generation Yeti now.

Edited by Offski

No doubt the Ateca is being built there,

just an announcement on the current generation Yeti's replacement is needed from Skoda and not leaks to Auto Express and Autocar.

Date it will be shown at a Motor Show, production start dates and release of models for sale.

Carwow will no doubt publish something saying 'To be released and price', then tell nothing new.

Something that surprises me about the Ateca is that its fuel tank is only 50 litres (up to 55 on some models). Particularly for the petrol engine variants, the range is going to be quite low - it might be quite difficult to get even 400 miles out of it, which I'd find a nuisance.

• Like 1

I have an Ateca now; after coming from 2 Yetis and am so far very pleased with it. Similar solid build with no rattles but the main selling point for me was the larger boot space, - with a spare wheel , this was always my drawback with the Yeti .Also just the more modern execution of the whole vehicle. Of course one of the other advantages was being able to escape from our nearest Skoda dealership ( Arnold Clark) , and living in the North of Scotland there was no realistic alternative . Bannermans - the Seat dealership - a pleasure to deal with. Test drive -' take the car for as long as you want and make sure you really like it'. No salesman breathing down your neck , no pressure at all.. For anyone considering a change from the Yeti I would suggest the Ateca as a definite consideration.

• Like 2