hid kit and led advice

sav26

hi guys hoping someone can help am looking at getting a hid kit or led bulbs as i m currently using phillips ultra vision but since fly eyeing my front headlights on non lit roads at night the vision is terrible need a legal solution to this that will pass mot no problems hoping u guys can help

Simple get rid of the headlight "Fly eye" tinting, even if you fit Xenons/LED's you will still face the same problem, you've fitted a covering over the lenses that will reduce the light output

there are many of us that have used fly eye if i wanted to remove it i would have done so already but that is something i obviously dont want to do lol

Well just suffer with the p**s poor light output then ! if you cover the lens with anything it WILL reduce the output simple !!

Might look "Cool" parked up in the Tesco carpark on a Sunday night, but you obviously need decent headlights if your driving on un-lighted roads. so the choice is simple, safe night time driving or looking "Cool" parked up ?? I know what I'd prefer and I have a L&K so I have factory Xennons :)

well maybe if u havent got anything constructive to say u shouldnt say anything at all and as for tescos car park maybe you shouldnt taint us all with the same brush as that maybe your thing and please refrain from posting any more as your advice is dog s..t hence why some of us have been around on here for years

I've not seen any led bulbs for reflector lamps which aren't crap. HIDs are probably going to be the brightest you can get but if the fly eye is limiting the light output that much then nothing will improve matters.

100W bulbs may make a difference but aren't legal and May melt the headlights.

• Like 2

there are many of us that have used fly eye [cite needed] if i wanted to remove it i would have done so already but that is something i obviously dont want to do lol

I agree with Nigel that you have a simple choice between having good headlights and (highly arguable IMO) "stylishness". If you don't like the advice you don't have to take it, but at least accept that if you put a dark tint on your lights then you need illegally bright bulbs just to get back to where you were before tinting.

• Like 1

I agree with Nigel that you have a simple choice between having good headlights and (highly arguable IMO) "stylishness". If you don't like the advice you don't have to take it, but at least accept that if you put a dark tint on your lights then you need illegally bright bulbs just to get back to where you were before tinting.

that is just stating the obvious the light output on these cars are poor at best without fly eye laminex etc the point of the post was so that other ppl that have done the same and can post what there best solutions were not so u can just say take the fly eye off kind of defeats the purpose of the thread

Other members over the years have tried fly eye tint, discovered the poor light output on damp wet roads and removed it. With the Fly eye kit you are covering up 50% of the surface, thus reducing light output by about this amount. Nothing can defeat the laws of energy, that same 50% of light output will be lost regardless of the bulbs fitted and the poor light output is more noticeable on damp wet roads where reflectivity is lost.

If you want to keep the fly eye looks, then you have to accept the compromises that this entails.

• Like 1

Other members over the years have tried fly eye tint, discovered the poor light output on damp wet roads and removed it. With the Fly eye kit you are covering up 50% of the surface, thus reducing light output by about this amount. Nothing can defeat the laws of energy, that same 50% of light output will be lost regardless of the bulbs fitted and the poor light output is more noticeable on damp wet roads where reflectivity is lost.

If you want to keep the fly eye looks, then you have to accept the compromises that this entails.

not a case of not accepting it bud its trying to find something that helps over the current philips ultra vision i am using as not to worry ill just go with the led option i was going to go with before the thread

not a case of not accepting it bud its trying to find something that helps over the current philips ultra vision i am using as not to worry ill just go with the led option i was going to go with before the thread

You won't.

LEDs tend be bright but the beam is all over the shop, chances are it will make things worse.

• Like 1

Div !! it's simple logic as said on the other replies, cover the lens with something that reduces the light output by 50+ % you'll need an WW2 search light to get the same light output before you put the stupid covering over your lenses, Look supposedly "Cool" or drive safely with no crap covering the headlights, If I was a traffic cop/VOSA, I'd make you remove the film !!

well maybe if u havent got anything constructive to say u shouldnt say anything at all and as for tescos car park maybe you shouldnt taint us all with the same brush as that maybe your thing and please refrain from posting any more as your advice is dog s..t hence why some of us have been around on here for years

Posing in car parks are a thing I gave up Many,Many years ago, I'm 50+ so I prefer to get from A 2 B in the safest possible way and that includes having headlights that actually light up the road, especially when the local council has "turned off the lighting to save money"  But it increases the accident rates as a consequence !!

• Like 1

LED or HID bulbs won't make it much better. The covering will just diffract the light, and LED conversions have enough of a problem with poor beam pattern as it is. It'll be like driving with really weak high beams, and everyone will be flashing you as the car will be dazzling.

You have two options:

1. Remove the tint (or replace it with something less severe).
2. Live with terrible lights.

If you refuse to admit this, then you're going to be unhappy with any solution.

As above, Fly Eye does do that.

If going the HID or LED route, bin those standard halogen headlights and get some proper Xenon units - the beam pattern otherwise is all over the place and whilst it might look fine to you it will dazzle everyone else on the road and people will hate you lol. Retrofit/home bodge a set of HIDs or LEDs into your new xenon units and job's a good'un. With either, if you have fly eyes, you'll find light output comes back to just slightly worse than some standard halogens.

Take off the fly eye however and it will be awesome.

A good halfway house is to get some clear headlight covers and then tint them. I had this on a past car and was best of both worlds - looked great in the day but removed in 20 seconds for night driving.

• Like 2