1st service

the chemist

Hi

Just been told the service warning has appeared on screen.

Car has done 13500 miles and is a 64 plate, so 2 years old. Its a 2 litre 140bhp diesel

Service warning says - service in 7 days of 7000 miles.

Question is which is right - 7 days or 7000 miles - bit of a difference.

Car is on variable service just now 'QI6' on front sticker.

The car generally does shortish runs of 10-15 miles per day with some longer runs 1 or 2 times per month. 

My thought is to get it serviced and keep with the variaible service plan.

Next question is dealer service or not ??

Thanks in advance for the answers

Edited by the chemist

I think you'll find it says Service in 7 days / 7000 miles.

Its the lesser of the two figures, I'll bet the 7 days is 2 years since the build date.

You can get an independent to do the work as long as they use the pukka parts and oils.

I will do that (or myself) when the warrenty has run out but as it's not a great deal of difference mine will be dealer serviced this month at 2 years old.

Edited by Urrell

Re variable servicing & 2 years.

That should be 2 years from the PDI and not the build date, which could have been any time weeks, months or years before.

Mine started nagging me yesterday and it's saying exactly 2 years from the build date, the date I picked it up was 2½ weeks later.

Re variable servicing & 2 years.

That should be 2 years from the PDI and not the build date, which could have been any time weeks, months or years before.

The safest date to zero from would be the build date. Synthetic oils have a limited shelf life - too old and they become unstable. Not good for a turbo  :thumbdown:

If a Skoda or any other vehicle has sat in a compound and been stored then the Oil should be changed before delivery and the Fixed 9,400 mile / 372 days 

interval or the Variable Servicing interval reset.

Your 2 or 3 year manufacturers warranty starts from the Car being registered not from the Build Date or the PDI.

http://volkswagen.co.uk/owners/servicing/regimes

The thing is the Employee at a Dealership handing over a vehicle should explain the Servicing Regime 

& should have asked the person buying the vehicle what they required before a PDI was carried out.

Edited by Offski

If that's their quote for a variable interval service, it's considerably cheaper than Skoda's normal fixed price service.

If it's for a fixed interval service, they are overcharging unless you are having additional work done.

See Skoda Fixed Price Servicing

Personally, I would never wait 2 years between services, even on flexible interval servicing. I'd always want at least an engine oil change doing every 12 months.

• Like 1

Synthetic oils have a limited shelf life - too old and they become unstable. Not good for a turbo  :thumbdown:

Really? Do tell...

If that's their quote for a variable interval service, it's considerably cheaper than Skoda's normal fixed price service.

If it's for a fixed interval service, they are overcharging unless you are having additional work done.

See Skoda Fixed Price Servicing

Personally, I would never wait 2 years between services, even on flexible interval servicing. I'd always want at least an engine oil change doing every 12 months.

Wash and vacuum? My main dealer has done this once in the 4 services I've had on my Yetis! Certainly not on the last 3 :think: 

OK, perhaps I should show my hand then.  This year represents the 25th year I have worked in the lubricants business for one of the big names, with most of that time spent in R&D.  I currently train employees and customers on the subject of engine (and other) oils.

There is no reason to worry specifically about synthetic oils in terms of shelf life, nor indeed conventional oils.  If stored well (largely consistent temperatures, avoid water and UV) most oils will keep for years.

Sorry for the slightly curt response before - I deal with internet myths and rumours almost daily.

In short, synthetic oils do not have a limited shelf life (putting this statement into the context of 2 years oil change intervals and comparing against mineral oils).

If you google 'shelf life synthetic oil' there is masses of info. 

PS - I just did this for interest and research and didn't find anything that specifically called out synthetics as having a limited shelf life.

• Like 1

There is no reason to worry specifically about synthetic oils in terms of shelf life, nor indeed conventional oils.  If stored well (largely consistent temperatures, avoid water and UV) most oils will keep for years.

If you look again at my post # 8 you will see that I was reinforcing the point made by Offski.

It would be madness to take any car that had been standing for idle for a few years and just drive away expecting to get another 2 years on variable service from the original oil.

The oil in the idle car has not been kept in anywhere near ideal conditions and needs to be changed before putting the car to use.

All the synthetic oil manufacturers that I know of give 5 years as the recommended shelf life, so that 5 years would be vastly reduced in this example of an idle car being put to use.

​I am in no way knocking synthetic oils, they are sophisticated pieces of engineering - the best thing since sliced bread as far as I am concerned :clap: