Door Mirror replacement

I've managed to snap off the driver's side door mirror on my Octavia MkIII.

It's fixed up with duct tape for the moment but I can source a new one but unsure how easy this is to replace.

Anyone done this please?

Not done this, but search for the door mirror puddle light replacement thread - there is a YouTube video on how to do this.

Link should be post #10:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/397177-youtube-guides-for-anything-on-octavia-mk3/?hl=%2Bpuddle+%2Blight#entry4669922

Edited by Black_Sheep

Thanks. I'd seen that but it isn't my problem. The whole mirror assembly has come adrift at the post on which the mirror swivels. It looks like a die cast metal fitting.

For the record mine's an 2013 SE model, the mirrors do not have motorised folding, just manual.

Thanks again. I'll take a look again; though the mirror itself looks similar, the hinge assembly looks very different. Those on the Octavia would seem anchored behind the tweeter speakers rather than lower down.

I'll report back!

If you want specific help, then register with erWin for the workshop manuals direct from Skoda - see the workshop manual thread that is pinned at the top of the Octavia III Forum. €7 for an hour should be enough to download all of the Manuals for your car.

When I had my Roomster some nice lorry driver decided to mount the pavement and drive along side my parked car and tear off my wing mirror. I was able to order a new 'mirror base' from my local dealership - this included the die cast bit and the wiring loom, but not the glass or the mirror cap (the painted shell), however I was able to salvage these from the old one. The die cast bit was secured from the inside of the car by three bolts and the loom just plugged in. On the Roomster I was able to unhook the top of the door card and then remove the inside panel covering the mirror fittings without having to take the door card off completely and reach down to access the plug for the wiring loom.

Thanks again.

As Jake mentions it appears that an assembly sans cover, motor, light and mirror glass is available.

It looks like I will need to invest in the erWin manual before I attempt the job. I have to admit that my track record with door cards etc. is not good. I invariably snap the clips or their fixings and always end up with a rattle after refitting.

• 1 year later...

Ian, did you find the workshop manual to change-out the wing mirror?  I have just been hit by a pheasant and and bent the arm out from the door and need to dismantle to straighten the bracket.  I am hoping that it doesn't need a complete new mirror!

22 hours ago, HReed said:

Ian, did you find the workshop manual to change-out the wing mirror?  I have just been hit by a pheasant and and bent the arm out from the door and need to dismantle to straighten the bracket.  I am hoping that it doesn't need a complete new mirror!

Unfortunately not. I bought the part on-line and sat looking at it for a couple of weeks. 

In the end the local garage offered to do it for £20 which seemed too good an offer to refuse.

Ian 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your reply Ian.  I have managed to lever the arm back into the door and under the rubber strip, not ideal but better than £250 plus to replace - I shall see how long it holds.

• 8 months later...
On 02/11/2018 at 17:11, iamian said:

Mirror assembly (without coloured cover) cost me £121.85 + VAT. Local garage fitted it for £20. 

Do you happen to know exactly how it is described to enable ordering of it?

Or perhaps even have a part number?

I need one for the passenger-side.

The cast metal bracket has broken, but everything else appears ok.

Sadly no spares still to be had from SashaGrace - thanks anyway.

I have mostly dismantled my current mirror, with the plan to harvest the metal mounting bracket from another - and keep the electrics/dimming/heating etc. from my current one.

Sadly, I'm stuck, I cant dismantle it enough to get to the metal bracket. 

Anyone tried this already and had more joy?

I got the assembly through Bickerton Škoda who were helpful in identifying what I needed. I could not figure out how to get at the fixing bolts and did not want to start dismantling the interior door trim without any plan - hence the local garage. 

Sorry I cannot be more help. 

I'd assumed a Torx set up to T50 would be more than enough to undo the bolt holding the mirror bracket to the door.

Turns out it is considerably too small.

Does anyone happen to know what Torx size the bolt will be?  T55? T60? bigger still?

Edit- had the micrometer out and it looks like an M10 spline bolt.

Edited by Jono