Funny Indicators - a distraction?

bspman

I Spotted this today on a golf R (the guy was driving like an unmentionable, but at least he used his indicators).

Half-indicator flashing seems to grab attention more and distract less IMO.

This is in contrast to the audi indicators which, as cool as they are, I just find distracting.

example:

Anyone have similar thoughts on the audi/golf R?

Any other examples of different indicators? IIRC some Morris Minors used to have arms that popped out!

Edited by bspman

At least they are using them if you spotted them.

After BREXIT when the UK Car Manufacturing Industry comprises of DACIA & MG all that nonsense will be outlawed and we will be back to good old Bulbs with a 

Glass Cover and a rubber seal that keeps out H20 and has no condensation.

• Like 1

I personally despise a lot of these fancy indicators.
There's a trend for circular brake lights with an inner ring of flashing orange LEDs, which are almost impossible to see if the car has the brakes applied at night and utterly invisible in bright daylight.
Same for a lot of these thin band styles of indicator.

It's almost as if they're copying the idiotic motorcycle trend for tiny bullet indicators... I like mine big and bold - Call me old fashioned, but I rather dislike being hit by drivers who can't see what I'm doing.

• Like 4

I seriously hope Skoda fit better tail lights and particularly better indicators than SEAT fit. 

I followed someone driving my own car and the indicators are just hopeless.

With light and brake lights on you just can not really see the indicators.

(sorry no pic of that.)

post-86161-0-35458300-1484583750_thumb.jpg

post-86161-0-31366200-1484583772_thumb.jpg

post-86161-0-26238700-1484583798_thumb.jpg

post-86161-0-16399300-1484583821_thumb.jpg

post-86161-0-23236100-1484583853_thumb.jpg

post-86161-0-84464400-1484583880_thumb.jpg

Edited by Offski

I seriously hope Skoda fit better tail lights and particularly better indicators than SEAT fit. 

I followed someone driving my own car and the indicators are just hopeless.

With light and brake lights on you just can not really see the indicators.

(sorry no pic of that.)

Honestly the pictures you've provided look bad enough.. how on earth did that get approved!?

Edited by bspman
  • Like 1

The moving lights idea is pants imo.

But tbh most of Audi current/last gen indicators have been almost invisible on the back theyre so tiny.

i dont expect 1000lumens, but its nice see them from more than 20ft away

The moving lights idea is pants imo.

But tbh most of Audi current/last gen indicators have been almost invisible on the back theyre so tiny.

i dont expect 1000lumens, but its nice see them from more than 20ft away

I quite like the scrolling lights :D. 

The A7 is the best. Seen the length of the high level brake light on that? :D. 

I quite like the scrolling lights :D.

The A7 is the best. Seen the length of the high level brake light on that? :D.

That high level brakelight and the rear marker moustache on new small peugot thing are utter genius.

Comic genius.... but genius none the less

• Like 1

VAG have been cocking it up for years, by far their worst effort was the A6 (C6 Facelift) with the introduction of LED tail / brake and the move from a 21W incandescent indicator bulb to a 16W one (just to fit the slimline lens) which meant then when braking the indicators were all but invisible...

sdukaudi10.jpg

How these were type approved I'll never know.

Edited by silver1011

VAG have been cocking it up for years, by far their worst effort was the A6 (C6 Facelift) with the introduction of LED tail / brake and the move from a 21W incandescent indicator bulb to a 16W one (just to fit the slimline lens) meant then when braking the indicators were all but invisible...

sdukaudi10.jpg

How these were type approved I'll never know.

Them!! Theyre the ones i was talking about.

they put them into the a4 after the a6 introduction didnt they?

• Like 1

I personally despise a lot of these fancy indicators.

There's a trend for circular brake lights with an inner ring of flashing orange LEDs, which are almost impossible to see if the car has the brakes applied at night and utterly invisible in bright daylight.

Same for a lot of these thin band styles of indicator.

Being brighter the LED indicators actually improve things. It was when they were incandescent bulbs the issues were most noticeable in my opinion.

Again VAG leading the way in getting it wrong...

The Mk5 Golf was pretty bad...

hqdefault.jpg

The SEAT Altea was even worse...

seat-altea-8.jpg?itok=6g6YatUw

The LED's on the Golf Plus and Passat improved things...

001_016.jpg

Them!! Theyre the ones i was talking about.

they put them into the a4 after the a6 introduction didnt they?

Yep the A4 was poor too, although I reckon the A6 topped the charts for form over function due to the indicator being inside the ring of LED's. At least on the A4 they dropped the indicator below the LED's, not that it helped...

audi-s4-2.jpg

Being brighter the LED indicators actually improve things. It was when they were incandescent bulbs the issues were most noticeable in my opinion.

A bright red light surrounding a bright orange light is still the issue - They need to be separate lights to avoid the blend.

It's worst in bright sunlight, where you can't actually see if the light is lit or not.

Took some pics of the full pack,  sides, reversing, fog light and brake lights on, and they are god awful.

Must have a look shortly when it is dark & from a distance.

EDIT.

I think i will be seen in Fog with rear tail lights and fogs on, and hazards if needs must.

Thankfully in 'Auto Hold' the rear brake lights do not go on.

Funnily the Dipped Beam is totally crap,dangerously so, but OK to use all the time during daylight with Sidelights instead of the horrible DRL's.

Full beam is just marvellous.

post-86161-0-66215300-1484669552_thumb.jpg

post-86161-0-12259800-1484669582_thumb.jpg

post-86161-0-79390200-1484669603_thumb.jpg

post-86161-0-89688600-1484669623_thumb.jpg

post-86161-0-11173000-1484679859_thumb.jpg

Edited by Offski
  • Like 3

Took some pics of the full pack,  sides, reversing, fog light and brake lights on, and they are god awful.

That is quite shocking isnt it! 

The whole thing is just designed around the sidelight being all the way around the edge isnt it. The rest they werent bothered about :D. 

The audi ones I'm not a huge fan of, but can appreciate as they're done properly. The Golf ones just look crap. I saw one in real life like it, and it's lost none of the poor effect for being a video!

Full beam is just marvellous.

The Leon (and Ibiza, maybe?) isn't much better for front indicators either when fitted with LED headlights. A small orange section in the lower middle of the light surrounded by ultra intense (but seemingly not that great to drive with from my limited time with them?) LED bulbs. Very hard to see.

Bring back the good old days of separate indicators!

2b6cd55babd3c78e54e5c31de3bda385.jpg

redtails-comp01a.jpg

Or make them big enough to spot if they're going to be LED/fancy design statements...

1998-02-case-for-bmw-3-series-case-for-e

• Like 1