Sunderland/Washington/Chester Let Street - Whats it Like?

Jaspire

My daughter is considering taking up an Internship with Nissan in Sunderland before she does her masters year at Warwick University.

She can look after herself and what not,but what are the areas of Sunderland to avoid if she was looking for digs near the factory, or is near the factory not good, or what?

I am fine with areas up in Scotland and, oddly enough, in London and the South East as I used to work down there alot, but the North East of England I am at a loss with.

She is trying to work out her living costs and stuff before she accepts the job, whilst she is more than capable of looking after herself, it's probably best not to go looking for bother.

Any and all advice gratefully received chaps and chapesses.

Lennie

Edited by Jaspire

The factory isn't the easiest place to get to via public transport so if she doesn't drive that's a big factor on where she'd live. 

I suppose it depends on how much she wants to spend, I assume she's renting? 

I'd consider the factory more Washington than Sunderland so that'd be the natural area I'd look at. Well on the other side of the A19 is Sunderland but I'd avoid that area - Red House/Hylton area. Also stay away from Pallion/South Hylton which is on the south side of the river to Hylton.

Further north of there is Boldon, which is generally good. 

As for Washington, Teal Farm is good and close but they're Barrat type new builds so not cheap. There are some area's around there like Biddock and Barmston that are OK too. 

• Like 2

I'd echo what JohnRS says, particularly wrt public transport (or lack of it) to the factory.

The Nissan plant complex is absolutely huge (particularly if you include the various supply chain manufacturing companies nearby that provide parts to the actual manufacturing plant) so you can think you're living quite close but actually have a fair old journey to actually get to the entrance gate ;-)

• Like 1

Cheers guys sorry for the late reply, for some reason all my notifications had been turned off.

So what we are saying is I need to give her my car.  I have only just got it back.  Kids man, never stop costing you money.

I was looking at Boldon, but I haven't been to Boldon in over 10 years, more specifically Boldon Colliery, I was looking along the A19 between Boldon and Houghton Le Springs, and TBH I hadn't even looked at Washington as I had no idea what it was like, the only reason I was looking between Boldon and Houghton Le Springs was because I knew the areas at one point.

I will have a look at those areas you mentioned peeps, much appreciated.

Lennie

Public transport is doable just not ideal.

Anywhere you've mentioned is OK I think, on the west of the A19 between Boldon and Houghton. I think a bus from either of those locations would be OK too. 

To put onto context about public transport, I live in Hebburn and used to work just past Nissan (Mandarin Way) - about 7-8 miles, which is a 10 minute drive or a 25 minute cycle, but a 1:30 journey on 3 buses. 

• Like 1

I think she will probably just get my car for the period, my wife will have to cancel selling hers, and I will use the van.  So much for saving money.

We were looking last night at the newish flats near the asda and galleries shopping centre.  The reason I am thinking flat is lower heating costs, especially if it's relatively modern.  Downside is, I have never stayed in a block of flats that didn't stink of pish at some point :).

Maybe a terraced house or possibly lodging somewhere is the answer or even a holiday caravan site.  It's much easier deciding to do stuff for yourself that for your kids I'll tell you.

I know a few folks that live in that area, I can ask them where's good and not so good if you like but probably won't get a reply before Monday?

When does the internship start?

• Like 1

I live in east Boldon and you could probably do it on a bike in 10 minutes. Probably Boldon colliery the cheapest for renting.

Theres that many Nissan workers around here that she'd probably get a car share very quickly.

public transport is crap unless she's lucky enough to be on 9-5.

Boldon has a massive Asda, cinema, Nando's, McD's etc and excellent Metro links to Sunderland / Newcastle.

great taxi drivers too ;)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LongTom said:

I know a few folks that live in that area, I can ask them where's good and not so good if you like but probably won't get a reply before Monday?

When does the internship start?

That'd be great if you could bud, appreciate it.  Internship doesn't start to sometime between June and September, she hasn't been given a start date yet.

Thanks

Edited by Jaspire

5 hours ago, Toonbart said:

I live in east Boldon and you could probably do it on a bike in 10 minutes. Probably Boldon colliery the cheapest for renting.

Theres that many Nissan workers around here that she'd probably get a car share very quickly.

public transport is crap unless she's lucky enough to be on 9-5.

Boldon has a massive Asda, cinema, Nando's, McD's etc and excellent Metro links to Sunderland / Newcastle.

great taxi drivers too ;)

Yeah used to clean the drains at the asda as part of my job, so I knew Boldon Colliery ok.

Just asked her and she thinks it is 9-5 but she doesn't know for certain yet.

Thanks

Lennie

Well, according to my colleague, Boldon isn't too bad, avoid most of Sunderland that's closest to the Nissan Plant, most of Washington is OK as is much of Houghton.

As you've a few months until it starts I'll see if I can narrow it down a bit....

I guess people's idea of an OK area is likely to be influenced quite a bit by where they grew up/are currently living lol

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LongTom said:

Well, according to my colleague, Boldon isn't too bad, avoid most of Sunderland that's closest to the Nissan Plant, most of Washington is OK as is much of Houghton.

As you've a few months until it starts I'll see if I can narrow it down a bit....

I guess people's idea of an OK area is likely to be influenced quite a bit by where they grew up/are currently living lol

Thanks buddy, appreciate it.

• 3 months later...

OK peeps we are on.  She has a start date of June 26th this year for Nissan and a similar date next year for Ricardo, so first things first, I have been left with the task of finding her a flat/house and picking it, and though this has yet to be intimated to me, paying the effing deposit I'll wager too.

I have been looking at these areas mainly, Wardley, Biddick, Barmston, Houghton Le Spring, Seaham, and Boldon(East, West, & Colliery), and their surrounding areas.  I was also looking at Cleadon, but the flat I really liked the look of there has gone.

I have been given a budget of up to £400 a month, depending upon location, upper flat preferably, no more than 2 bedrooms.  I have to give her a car, so travel is apparently not too much of a worry.

My thinking on the upper flat is two fold, no noise from above, and still a bit cheaper to heat than a house, being as you will be heated from at least below to a certain extent, and lower heat loss to the sides if the flat is terraced, so to speak.

I am going to whittle it down to half a dozen then come down for a couple of days and have a gander at the accommodation, and also at the area in general in the daytime and at night, traffic problems she will just have to deal with on her own.

Thanks for the advice so far lads and lasses, much appreciated.

Edited by Jaspire

Just now, Rustynuts said:

If she's gonna be working at Nissan is there any chance she could get on the company car scheme (friends & family or whatever it's called these days). It's a cheap way of owning a car.

She is only going to be there for a year, then she is off to Ricardo for 3 months before doing her masters so I don't think she would qualify.  I am just going to get her a wee vag motor Fabia, Polo, Ibiza, Roomster kind of thing to get back and forward in.  She doesn't know which Ricardo bit she is going to yet, but either Leamington or Shoreham seems to be the best bet so she will need to get about a bit.

I have no idea how she got in, she told them that the Infiniti cars weren't very pretty and didn't drive as well as they should for the price.  I am assuming they misunderstood her accent or something.  She was never good at not telling people what she thought.  Most compliments from her are backhanded.

14 minutes ago, Jaspire said:

She is only going to be there for a year, then she is off to Ricardo for 3 months before doing her masters so I don't think she would qualify.  I am just going to get her a wee vag motor Fabia, Polo, Ibiza, Roomster kind of thing to get back and forward in.  She doesn't know which Ricardo bit she is going to yet, but either Leamington or Shoreham seems to be the best bet so she will need to get about a bit.

I have no idea how she got in, she told them that the Infiniti cars weren't very pretty and didn't drive as well as they should for the price.  I am assuming they misunderstood her accent or something.  She was never good at not telling people what she thought.  Most compliments from her are backhanded.

I can picture the interview...

"What would you say is your worst quality?"

"I'm too honest!"

"I don't think honesty is a bad thing?"

"I don't give a **** what you think!"

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Alrighty, got one to look at in West Pelton, I know its a bit more indirect transport wise to get to Nissan, but if anyone has any info as to what the area is like in general, what amenities are nearby, etc., that would be great.

Thanks

Lennie

7 minutes ago, Rustynuts said:

I just googlemapped West Pelton and randomly dropped a street view marker. This (believe it or not) is what I hit.

Link.

Aye that's Grange Villas, to be honest that picture could be any small town shop car park on a Sunday.  Or infact the one across the street from me any night of the week.  The one I am looking at is a bit further north, kind of about here.

https://goo.gl/maps/5pVr3GCveUE2

p.s. remind to message you about swapping out my Columbus, keep forgetting, started typing it the other day then something distracted me.

Edited by Jaspire

2 minutes ago, Jaspire said:

Aye that's Grange Villas, to be honest that picture could be any small town shop car park on a Sunday.  Or infact the one across the street from me any night of the week.  The one I am looking at is a bit further north, kind of about here.

https://goo.gl/maps/5pVr3GCveUE2

Well there're no settees in the gardens. Which is always a good sign. :cool:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bignij said:

Well there're no settees in the gardens. Which is always a good sign. :cool:

Or rotten cars.  Seriously though, what's that about? 

I have been all over the world with work, and been to some beautiful towns and villages in this country, especially along the A35, but the front gardens are wrecked, or have umpteen rotten rust buckets lying in them.  It never ceases to amaze me that.

Edited by Jaspire
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jaspire said:

Or rotten cars.  Seriously though, what's that about? 

I have been all over the world with work, and been to come beautiful towns and villages in this country, especially along the A35, but the front gardens are wrecked, or have umpteen rotten rust buckets lying in them.  It never ceases to amaze me that.

There's nowt so queer as folk. The world would be a dull place if we were all the same. It might be a damn sight cleaner and nicer though. :wondering:

• Like 1